Turn On or Off Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10  

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
  1. rseiler's Avatar
    Posts : 187
    Windows 10 Enterprise x64 (Insider)
       #170

    It seems that the new 1903 feature called "Tamper Protection" was running interference. Disable that, and I think you'll find that the policy works as expected.

    When MS said that Tamper Protection "prevents others (including malicious apps) from changing important protection features," they apparently were including their own controls (i.e. policy).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 38,906
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 18898
    Thread Starter
       #171

    rseiler said: View Post
    It seems that the new 1903 feature called "Tamper Protection" was running interference. Disable that, and I think you'll find that the policy works as expected.

    When MS said that Tamper Protection "prevents others (including malicious apps) from changing important protection features," they apparently were including their own controls (i.e. policy).

    Good catch. I can confirm this as well. Tutorial updated to include this now.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 3,709
    Home 1903 x64 10.0.18362.53
       #172

    Tamper protection can be disabled via registry, that is not very tamper-free.
    Basically, it is possible to completely disable WD and its services via reg/bat.
    Code:
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Features" /v "TamperProtection" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. rseiler's Avatar
    Posts : 187
    Windows 10 Enterprise x64 (Insider)
       #173

    0 and 1 would make sense for that, but when you change Tamper Protection in the UI, 4 (off) or 5 (on) are written into that spot in the Registry. Not sure what to make of that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 38,906
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 18898
    Thread Starter
       #174

    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    Tamper protection can be disabled via registry, that is not very tamper-free.
    Basically, it is possible to completely disable WD and its services via reg/bat.
    Code:
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Features" /v "TamperProtection" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

    You would need to take ownership of the key and set permissions first to be able to change the DWORD value.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 3,709
    Home 1903 x64 10.0.18362.53
       #175

    Brink said: View Post
    You would need to take ownership of the key and set permissions first to be able to change the DWORD value.
    I did a clean install and disabled it without doing anything, but I can not edit it now, maybe an update fixed it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 38,906
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 18898
    Thread Starter
       #176

    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    I did a clean install and disabled it without doing anything, but I can not edit it now, maybe an update fixed it.
    Interesting. An update could reset the owner and permissions back to default.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    #177

    I tried to run the command MpCmdRun -ValidateMapsConnection in an admin command window which failed. It did run when I pointed the command prompt to directory C:\Program Files\Windows Defender.

    I that normal behaviour since I thought MpCmdRun would just execute?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 38,906
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 18898
    Thread Starter
       #178

    Steve C said: View Post
    I tried to run the command MpCmdRun -ValidateMapsConnection in an admin command window which failed. It did run when I pointed the command prompt to directory C:\Program Files\Windows Defender.

    I that normal behaviour since I thought MpCmdRun would just execute?
    Hello Steve,

    Yeah, it's normal. An elevated command prompt uses the "C:\Windows\System32" path by default, so a command at any other path will have to specified.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Tutorial Categories

Turn On or Off Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


Related Threads
How to Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows 10 Windows Defender helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Malware can infect your PC...
How to Create a Windows Security in Settings shortcut in Windows 10 Windows 10 provides the latest antivirus protection with Windows Security. When you start up Windows 10 for the first time, Windows Security is on and actively protecting your...
Windows 10 Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
With Windows 10 about to be released, I'm considering upgrading from Windows 7 which I currently protect with a version Norton Internet Security compatible with Windows 7 but not 10. I'm not too keen on the later build of NIS & can extend my...
Solved Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
windows defender is turned of on my computer but every time I boot my system windows defender is telling me its turned of is there a way to stop this (I am using windows 10 pro insider preview build 10074)
Solved Windows defender off ? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Uninstalled Panda and now windows defender is stuck off, Not clearly listed in windows features any one know which feature defender is listed as in turn windows features on or off :/ Thanks in advance, Cheers. Defender is still listed in...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09.
Find Us