How to Change your Theme in Windows 10
InformationIn Windows, you can use themes to help make your desktop feel a little more personal. Themes change the desktop background, colors, sounds, screen saver, and pointers on your PC all at once, and you can switch between themes as often as you like.
There are four types of themes.
• My Themes - Themes that you've created, made changes to, saved, downloaded, or synced (roamed themes) from your Microsoft account. Any time you change a theme, the new settings appear here as an unsaved theme. These themes are saved in the folder below.
• Windows Default Themes - Windows themes you can use to personalize your PC. Most of them include a desktop background slide show. These themes are saved in the folder below.
• Installed Themes - Themes that were created by your PC manufacturer or other non-Microsoft providers.
• High Contrast Themes - Themes that make items on your screen easier to see. The High Contrast themes don't include automatic window border colors or desktop background slide shows. These themes are saved in the folder below.
C:\Windows\Resources\Ease of Access Themes
This tutorial will show you how to select a theme to change the desktop background, color, sounds, and screen saver all at once for your account in Window 10.
NoteYour current theme is referenced as the CurrentTheme string value for the key below in Registry Editor.
TipTo download free themes from Microsoft, see:
- Option One: To Change Your Theme in Control Panel
- Option Two: To Change Your Theme in Settings
- Option Three: To Choose a High Contrast Theme in Settings
OPTION ONETo Change Your Theme in Control Panel
1. Open the Run dialog (Win+R), enter the command below, and click/tap on OK to open Personalization in the Control Panel.
2. Click/tap on a theme you want to use from My Themes, Windows Default Themes, or High Contrast Themes. (see screenshot below)
NoteIf you click/tap on the Get more themes online link, it'll take you to Themes - Microsoft Windows where you can download more themes to use.
OPTION TWOTo Change Your Theme in Settings
NoteThis option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 15002.
1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.
2. Click/tap on Themes on the left side, click/tap on a theme you want under Apply a theme on the right side. (see screenshot below)
OPTION THREETo Choose a High Contrast Theme in Settings
1. Open Settings, and do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to open High contrast settings.
2. Click/tap on the Personalization icon, click/tap on Colors on the left side, click/tap on the High contrast settings link at the bottom of the right side, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)
3. Click/tap on the Ease of Access icon, and go to step 4 below.
4. Click/tap on High contrast on the left side, and choose a high contrast theme you want in the drop down menu on the right side. (see screenshot below)
NoteIf you select None, your theme will be the last one used in My Theme.
5. Make any color changes you would like, and click/tap on Apply. (see screenshot below)
6. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.
- How to Install Themes from the Store in Windows 10
- How to Save a Theme in Windows 10
- How to Delete Themes in Windows 10
- How to Restore Default Themes in Windows 10
- How to Create a 'Theme Settings' Shortcut in Windows 10
- How to Change your Desktop Background in Windows 10
- Change Color of Start Menu, Taskbar, Title bars, and Action Center in Windows 10
- How to Use Aerolite Theme for Window Borders and Title Bars Color in Windows 10
- How to Change your Sounds in Windows 10
- How to Change your Screen Saver Settings in Windows 10
- How to Change your Mouse Pointers in Windows 10
- How to Add or Remove 'Personalize (classic)' context menu in Windows 10
- How to Change the Theme of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10
Great Tut but I just copy and paste the image into win 10\windows\web\wallpaper\windows technical preview\imgXXX.jpg