Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,269
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21354
    Thread Starter
       #20

    Steve C said:
    Indexing misses some of my user folders despite then being selected for indexing, I've rebuilt the index to no avail and run the troubleshooter. Any ideas?
    Hello Steve,

    Odd. Seems like there may be some sort of access issue.

    Did you move these folders to another location that the default, or have them protected (backed up) by OneDrive?
      My Computers

  2. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,286
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #21

    Brink said:
    Hello Steve,

    Odd. Seems like there may be some sort of access issue.

    Did you move these folders to another location that the default, or have them protected (backed up) by OneDrive?
    The offending folders are under My Documents on my D: drive along with other folders which are indexed. I don't use Onedrive for backup. The files are found in the search box for Classic Shell but not in the Cortana search box.
      My Computers

  3. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,269
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21354
    Thread Starter
       #22

    Steve C said:
    The offending folders are under My Documents on my D: drive along with other folders which are indexed. I don't use Onedrive for backup. The files are found in the search box for Classic Shell but not in the Cortana search box.
    Odd. Did you select the Documents folders and others from the D drive location?

    Normally, this below is checked by default, but it would hurt to check if is for the D drive.

    Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10-index.png
      My Computers

  4. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,286
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #23

    Brink said:
    Odd. Did you select the Documents folders and others from the D drive location?

    Normally, this below is checked by default, but it would hurt to check if is for the D drive.

    Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10-index.png
    That box for D: isn't checked. Should it be since I thought that enabled indexing of contents?
      My Computers

  5. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,269
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21354
    Thread Starter
       #24

    Steve C said:
    That box for D: isn't checked. Should it be since I thought that enabled indexing of contents?
    It was just something to see as a test for how it behaves after being checked.
      My Computers

  6. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,286
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #25

    Brink said:
    It was just something to see as a test for how it behaves after being checked.
    That user directory did not have permissions for System or Administrators. What are the default permissions for a user directory other than the account user and is there a simple method to reset them to the defaults?
      My Computers

  7. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,269
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21354
    Thread Starter
       #26

    Steve C said:
    That user directory did not have permissions for System or Administrators. What are the default permissions for a user directory other than the account user and is there a simple method to reset them to the defaults?
    You could try the context menu added below to restore the default permissions of the folder.

    Add Reset Permissions to Context Menu in Windows
      My Computers


 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tutorial Categories

Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums