Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    07 Oct 2017 #10
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,706
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    That does not work for digital licences.
    To get the digital license, he needs a retail key first, for a VM doesn't he?
    Serious question, as that#s the only way I have done it.
    The digital license, can be reactivated with another key, if one still has the machine.
    I did that swapping a Pro for a Pro N before, and then using the Pro on another machine.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    07 Oct 2017 #11
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,007
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    To get the digital license, he needs a retail key first, for a VM doesn't he?
    Serious question, as that#s the only way I have done it.
    The digital license, can be reactivated with another key, if one still has the machine.
    I did that swapping a Pro for a Pro N before, and then using the Pro on another machine.
    In general yes, but there are cases where you have a digital licence e.g. an install activated with a 7/8 oem key. bought 10 direct from MS Store, or you activated by transferring digital licence from another VM etc.

    If key is retail standalone, you can use telephone activation if necessary to transfer a licence - I personally avoid the slmgr /upk method, as in past it seems to get tangled now and then i.e. new pc thinks it is still on old pc, but when you try telephone activation, it fails for some reason. Anyway, Windows normally lets you reactivate a standalone key up to five times anyway without objecting.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    07 Oct 2017 #12
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,706
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    In general yes, but there are cases where you have a digital licence e.g. an install activated with a 7/8 oem key. bought 10 direct from MS Store, or you activated by transferring digital licence from another VM etc.

    If key is retail standalone, you can use telephone activation if necessary to transfer a licence - I personally avoid the slmgr /upk method, as in past it seems to get tangled now and then i.e. new pc thinks it is still on old pc, but when you try telephone activation, it fails for some reason. Anyway, Windows normally lets you reactivate a standalone key up to five times anyway without objecting.

    Thanks for the information Martin
    Good I only did it that once(and it's the only time I wanted/"needed" to do it).
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    07 Oct 2017 #13
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 58
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    In general yes, but there are cases where you have a digital licence e.g. an install activated with a 7/8 oem key. bought 10 direct from MS Store, or you activated by transferring digital licence from another VM etc.
    .
    What I was planning to do is try to activate my new vm of Win 10 16299.15 RTM with one of some never used before Windows 7 OEM keys. So, if this works at all, I will not be able to go over activation by phone. Good reason to keep a good backup of the vm them.
    Will I also need another key for establishing another Windows Insider testing vm? That would be insane, of Microsoft to bill beta testers of it's software!?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    07 Oct 2017 #14
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,706
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGe View Post
    What I was planning to do is try to activate my new vm of Win 10 16299.15 RTM with one of some never used before Windows 7 OEM keys. So, if this works at all, I will not be able to go over activation by phone. Good reason to keep a good backup of the vm them.
    Will I also need another key for establishing another Windows Insider testing vm? That would be insane, of Microsoft to bill beta testers of it's software!?
    Officially you need a key or digital license for each instance of Windows 10, any other answer is a very dark gray zone.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 001.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	156913

    To read the license terms: Find Microsoft End User License Agreement (EULA) in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    07 Oct 2017 #15
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,007
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGe View Post
    What I was planning to do is try to activate my new vm of Win 10 16299.15 RTM with one of some never used before Windows 7 OEM keys. So, if this works at all, I will not be able to go over activation by phone. Good reason to keep a good backup of the vm them.
    Will I also need another key for establishing another Windows Insider testing vm? That would be insane, of Microsoft to bill beta testers of it's software!?
    I am afraid you need a valid licence for Insider Testing - MS had to introduce that as many would have installed Insider versions to avoid buying a licence, but not actively participated in Programme. You can bet your life, these same persons would whinge like hell if they were affected by any bugs.

    You can run Insider versions unactivated without any major issue except you cannot personalise it. A lot do not mind being unable to personalise in a VM, as it is for testing purposes only.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    07 Oct 2017 #16
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 58
    Windows 10 Pro

    Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    I am afraid you need a valid licence for Insider Testing - MS had to introduce that as many would have installed Insider versions to avoid buying a licence, but not actively participated in Programme. You can bet your life, these same persons would whinge like hell if they were affected by any bugs.

    You can run Insider versions unactivated without any major issue except you cannot personalise it. A lot do not mind being unable to personalise in a VM, as it is for testing purposes only.
    That does make sense then, thanks for the explanation!

    I won't bother to activate my Insider Build testing vms then, they are really just to check out new features early and being able to comment on them.. no need to personalize I'd say.

    I did activate (yay - Win 7 OEM key worked!) my new FCU RTM vm though, as this one will have a slightly different purpose, e.g. for testing of programs and customizations. Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Virtualization Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10
How to Import Hyper-V Virtual Machines Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were physical computer systems, however they...
Tutorials
Customization Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows
How to Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 8 and 10 There's nothing wrong in running the Hyper-V Manager and launch your virtual machines from there. However, creating a shortcut for each vm you have you can start them fast...
Tutorials
Virtualization Add or Remove Physical Hard Disk for Hyper-V Virtual Machine
How to Add or Remove a Physical Hard Disk for Hyper-V Virtual Machine Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were physical...
Tutorials
Solved Hyper-V Virtual Machine Crash When Audio Activates (Event 1000, 1026)
UPDATE: Problem solved. See post #14's "long story" for steps that led to the findings above as the same steps can aid in hunting down this type of issue if neither of the above applies. Hello, I recently did an in place upgrade to Windows...
Virtualization
Virtualization Remove Floppy Disk Drive in Windows Hyper-V Virtual Machine
How to Remove Floppy Disk Drive in Windows Hyper-V Virtual Machine Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were physical...
Tutorials
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:40.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums