Windows 10: Rebuild Icon Cache in Windows 10  

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1.    27 Feb 2016 #40

    Hi. I've tried everything that is on this thread. But nothing is working. I've restarted my computer so many times. Most the icons are there. But not all of them. And most of the folders in the "All Apps" section opens, just not all of them. Is it possible that I might have to restart my computer a few more times? Just wondering.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 23,653
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16362
    Thread Starter
       27 Feb 2016 #41

    Hello Theresa, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Please provide more details about your issue along with some screenshots showing it to see what else may be wrong.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...en-forums.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    27 Feb 2016 #42

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello Theresa, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Please provide more details about your issue along with some screenshots showing it to see what else may be wrong.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...en-forums.html
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (254).png 
Views:	72 
Size:	378.7 KB 
ID:	66644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (255).png 
Views:	75 
Size:	412.6 KB 
ID:	66645
    Not sure if you can see it. But some icons have weird names on them. And in the "All Apps" section, there is a small section called "Others", which I never had before. So... Not sure what had happened when I had done what it said in this thread.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 23,653
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16362
    Thread Starter
       27 Feb 2016 #43

    I'm afraid this isn't an issue with your icon cache. Instead, it shows your apps are broken. This usually happens when the PowerShell command to repair all apps had been used. There's a bug with this command that breaks them right now.

    You can do a repair install to fix them without losing anything though.

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    27 Feb 2016 #44

    Brink said: View Post
    I'm afraid this isn't an issue with your icon cache. Instead, it shows your apps are broken. This usually happens when the PowerShell command to repair all apps had been used. There's a bug with this command that breaks them right now.

    You can do a repair install to fix them without losing anything though.

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
    Oh... Ok. But if I do this "repair install", will I lose any files or any apps I have installed?

    And what if I didn't want to do this "repair install", there's no other way to fix those weird names on the apps?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 23,653
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16362
    Thread Starter
       27 Feb 2016 #45

    You won't lose anything doing a repair install.

    There's no other way to fix the apps without losing anything.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    27 Feb 2016 #46

    Brink said: View Post
    You won't lose anything doing a repair install.

    There's no other way to fix the apps without losing anything.
    Oh.... Ok. Wish there was a way to fix all that without doing any repairing to my Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 23,653
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16362
    Thread Starter
       27 Feb 2016 #47

    There's really nothing to worry about though. It can take a while to finish, but a repair install is the best and safest way to fix this.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    27 Feb 2016 #48

    Brink said: View Post
    There's really nothing to worry about though. It can take a while to finish, but a repair install is the best and safest way to fix this.
    I guess I could try it. But I'm still afraid I'll lose all my files and apps that I have now. Also still afraid it will probably do something to my computer hard drive or anything in my computer in the near future.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 16,498
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       27 Feb 2016 #49

    Theresa said: View Post
    Oh.... Ok. Wish there was a way to fix all that without doing any repairing to my Windows 10.
    Brink said: View Post
    There's really nothing to worry about though. It can take a while to finish, but a repair install is the best and safest way to fix this.
    I have done it a few times(maybe more than a few).
    The only thing you need to do after a repair install is check settings like your Time Zone, system restore, and privacy settings in settings app. This only effects system files and reinstalls all default apps. It doesn't touch any of your libraries or their setting, It doesn't touch any of your 3rd party software and their settings. Just make sure you turn off any 3rd party anti virus software before pulling the trigger.

    Think of it as sfc /scannow and DISM restore health on steroids
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Title pretty much sums it up, is there a way to move the browsing cache from Microsoft Edge to a secondary drive? Thanks!
How to Clear and Reset the Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 Windows keeps a copy of all your folder, picture, video, and document thumbnails in a cache so they can be displayed quickly when you open a folder instead of having to manually scan and...
Ghost icon in Windows 10 in Software and Apps
Hi After the latest win 10 preview update, I have a ghost icon left from a MUI app in the start menu. App isn't installed, clicking does nothing. It's just there with the @{xxxxxxx} crap, and it's actually annoying me. I looked in the...
My laptop Asus S400CA comes with 24GB SSD to work as express cache. What should be done while upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10 so that express cache is used. Will windows 10 installation take care and use this cache automatically or should...
ok so i just upgraded to windows 10 and i love it so far, but one small thing my mSSD cache drive dosent seem to be working well. its installed and the drivers and bios are setup, and the drive says it's accelerated but not having a effect on my...

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:05.
Find Us