How to Use Windows Device Recovery Tool to Rollback from Windows 10 Mobile
InformationYou can download the Windows Device Recovery Tool on your PC and use it to fix software problems on your Windows 10 Mobile phone. It'll install the latest version of Windows approved for your phone and remove everything else, including your apps, games, texts, call history, music, and photos. Before you use this tool, you could see if restarting or resetting your phone fixes the problem.
This tutorial will show you how to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to rollback the latest version of Windows approved for your Windows 10 Mobile phone.
1. Download and install the Windows Device Recovery Tool from Microsoft to your Windows 7 or newer PC.
For more details, see: Windows Device Recovery Tool: FAQ - Windows Help
2. Run the Windows Device Recovery Tool.
3. Connect your Windows 10 Mobile Phone to the PC using a USB cable. (see screenshot below)
4. When your Windows 10 Mobile Phone is detected, click/tap on it to select it. (see screenshot below)
5. You will now see what software is currently installed on your phone, and what software is available to roll back to. Click/tap on Reinstall software. (see screenshot below)
6. Click/tap on Continue when ready to start. (see screenshot below)
WarningIf you have not already, it is strongly recommended that you create a backup on your phone now before continuing.
This way you will have a backup of all your contacts, apps, etc... that you can restore when setting up your phone after the installation has finished.
7. The software package (ex: 1.62 GB) will now start downloading. This could take a while depending on your network download speed. (see screenshot below)
8. When the software package has finished downloading, the Windows Phone Recovery Tool will connect with your phone. (see screenshot below)
WarningDo not use your phone. Do not disconnect the USB cable. Do not switch off the phone. Otherwise your phone may stop working (ex: bricked phone).
During the installation, your phone restarts and the screen goes blank. You can ignore all Windows notifications about USB cable connection.
9. When connected, the software package installation to your phone will start. (see screenshot below)
10. When the software has successfully completed the installation, you can click/tap on Finish, and close the Windows Phone Recovery Tool. (see screenshot below)
11. You can now go through the Windows setup process on your phone.
New 3.0.2 version of Windows Device Recovery Tool released.