Enterprise Mode, a compatibility mode that runs on Internet Explorer 11 (IE11), lets websites render using a modified browser configuration thatís designed to emulate either Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8, avoiding the common compatibility problems associated with web apps written and tested on older versions of Internet Explorer.
If Enterprise Mode is enabled
for IE11 by an administrator, users will be able to turn on or off Enterprise Mode for websites in only their accounts in Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10.
Enterprise Mode includes the following features:
For more information about Enterprise Mode for IE11, see:
- Improved web app and website compatibility. Through improved emulation, Enterprise Mode lets many legacy web apps run unmodified on IE11, supporting a number of site patterns that arenít currently supported by existing document modes.
- Tool-based management for website lists. Use the Enterprise Mode Site List Manager to add website domains and domain paths and to specify whether a site renders using Enterprise Mode. Download the Enterprise Mode Site List Manager (schema v.2) or the Enterprise Mode Site List Manager (schema v.1), based on your operating system and schema.
- Centralized control. You can specify the websites or web apps to interpret using Enterprise Mode, through an XML file on a website or stored locally. Domains and paths within those domains can be treated differently, allowing granular control. Use Group Policy to let users turn Enterprise Mode on or off from the Tools menu and to decide whether the Enterprise browser profile appears on the Emulation tab of the F12 developer tools.Important
All centrally-made decisions override any locally-made choices.
- Integrated browsing. When Enterprise Mode is set up, users can browse the web normally, letting the browser change modes automatically to accommodate Enterprise Mode sites.
- Data gathering. You can configure Enterprise Mode to collect local override data, posting back to a named server. This lets you "crowd source" compatibility testing from key users; gathering their findings to add to your central site list.
This tutorial will show you how to turn on and off Enterprise Mode
for sites in Internet Explorer 11
for your account in Windows 7
, Windows 8.1
, or Windows 10