How to Add or Remove This PC in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10
This tutorial will show you how to add or remove This PC in the navigation pane of File Explorer for all users in Windows 10.
You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove This PC in the navigation pane.
If you remove This PC from the navigation pane, it will also remove the default This PC desktop icon
(if turned on). If you like, you can still create your own This PC shortcut
to use instead though.
If you set File Explorer to open to This PC by default
and remove This PC from the navigation pane, File Explorer will still open to This PC.
EXAMPLE: Add or Remove "This PC" in navigation pane
1. In the search box on your taskbar or Start menu, type regedit, and press Enter to open Registry Editor.
2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.
3. In Registry Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
4. If you have not already, you will need to first change the owner of the ShellFolder registry key in the left pane to be the Administrators group. (see screenshot below step 3)
5. If you have not already, you will need to second set permissions of the ShellFolder registry key in the left pane to "Allow" the Administrators group "Full control". (see screenshot below step 3)
6. In the right pane of ShellFolder, double click/tap on Attributes to modify it. (see screenshot below step 3)
7. Do step 8 (remove) or step 9 (add) below for what you want.
8. To Remove This PC from Navigation Pane
A) Type in b094010c
, click/tap on OK
, and go to step 10
below. (see screenshot below)
9. To Add This PC to Navigation Pane
NOTE: This is the default setting.
A) In the right pane of ShellFolder
, right click or press and hold on Attributes
, click/tap on Delete
, and click/tap on Yes
to confirm. (see screenshot below step 3
10. If you have a 64-bit Windows 10, then repeat steps 4 to 7 above for the registry location below.
This step is to add or remove This PC from the "Open" and "Save as" type dialogs in 64-bit Windows 10.
This step is not for 32-bit Windows 10.
11. When finished, close Registry Editor.
12. Sign out and in of Windows or restart the PC to apply.