Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows

    Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows

    How to Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes to Default in Windows
    Published by Category: Customization
    27 Jan 2021
    Designer Media Ltd


    How to Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes to Default in Windows


    Starting with Windows Vista, the Common Item Dialog (CID) supersedes the older Common File Dialog when used to open or save a file. The Common Item Dialog is used in two variations: the Open dialog and the Save as dialog. These two dialogs share most of their functionality, but each has its own unique methods.

    The Open dialog box lets the user specify the drive, directory, and the name of a file or set of files to open.

    The Save As dialog box lets the user specify the drive, directory, and name of a file to save.

    This tutorial will show you how to reset the view settings of Open and Save As Common Item Dialog boxes back to default for your account in Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.

    The registry keys below store the view settings of Open and Save As dialog boxes. The downloadable .reg file in the tutorial below will delete these registry keys to reset the Open and Save As dialog boxes to default. These registry keys will automatically be recreated the next time you open a Open or Save As dialog.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CIDOpen

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CIDSave


    EXAMPLE: Open and Save As dialog boxes
    Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows-open_cid.png Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows-save_as_cid.png



    Here's How:

    1 Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.

    Reset_Open_Save-As_CID_boxes.reg

    Download


    2 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

    3 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

    4 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

    5 If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.


    That's it,
    Shawn




  1. Posts : 1
    windows
       #1

    Brother you saved my life, i just registered to thank youu!!!
    My save type was turn unknown letters like boxes and chinese characters and it was killing explorer while saving, this fixed it thank you so much!
      My Computer

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 57,891
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21390
    Thread Starter
       #2

    aaa131 said:
    Brother you saved my life, i just registered to thank youu!!!
    My save type was turn unknown letters like boxes and chinese characters and it was killing explorer while saving, this fixed it thank you so much!
    You're most welcome, and welcome to Ten Forums. I'm glad it could help.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       #3

    Hi,
    I was referred to this thread by a link on the Microsoft help community, and am still having problems. Several months ago, my downloads folder got grouped by date. I set the group by option to none, which fixed it in the main explorer, but I'm still getting files grouped by date in just the downloads folder in the open dialog boxes within applications, even after running your registry fix. How do I fix this?
      My Computer

  4. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 57,891
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21390
    Thread Starter
       #4

    bobdavcav said:
    Hi,
    I was referred to this thread by a link on the Microsoft help community, and am still having problems. Several months ago, my downloads folder got grouped by date. I set the group by option to none, which fixed it in the main explorer, but I'm still getting files grouped by date in just the downloads folder in the open dialog boxes within applications, even after running your registry fix. How do I fix this?
    Hello Bob, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Are you able to manually set Group by to (None) in the still affected open dialog boxes?

    These will usually open the same way as last closed.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       #5

    How do I do that? When I try to access the menu bar in those applications, all I get is the system menu.
      My Computer

  6. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 57,891
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21390
    Thread Starter
       #6

    bobdavcav said:
    How do I do that? When I try to access the menu bar in those applications, all I get is the system menu.
    You should be able to like in option 3 below.

    Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       #7

    I don't seem to have a More Options button, unless I don't know how to access it. Tabbing through, I have the file name edit box, files of type, the open and cancel buttons, the folder list, the look in combo box, and buttons that say "go to last folder visited" and "quick access." Using down arrow from Go to Last Folder Visited, I have Go to last folder, Up one level, create new folder, and a view menu, which contains various icon sizes, and an auto arrange, align, and list view.
      My Computer

  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 57,891
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21390
    Thread Starter
       #8

    bobdavcav said:
    I don't seem to have a More Options button, unless I don't know how to access it. Tabbing through, I have the file name edit box, files of type, the open and cancel buttons, the folder list, the look in combo box, and buttons that say "go to last folder visited" and "quick access." Using down arrow from Go to Last Folder Visited, I have Go to last folder, Up one level, create new folder, and a view menu, which contains various icon sizes, and an auto arrange, align, and list view.
    Go ahead and post a screenshot to see if anything may stand out.

    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       #9

    Okay, I'll get that to you a bit later today. Is this something that possibly can't be accessed via the keyboard? I'm blind, so can't use the mouse, though most of the time I'm pretty good at translating instructions given for sighted users.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:12.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums