Windows 10: Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10  

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 29,999
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17692
    Thread Starter
       12 Mar 2017 #100

    Yasak Hayat said: View Post
    Hi,

    Sory but I'm confused.
    What is the difference option 2 and 4?
    Yes different reg keys changing but I wondering which one must choose?
    In other saying same result with different ways or different ways and different results?


    Hello Yasak, :)

    Basically, option 2 turns on/off driver updates from Settings via registry.

    Option 4 enables/disable driver updates using group policy via registry.

    Group policy will override Settings.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    12 Mar 2017 #101

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello Yasak, :)

    Basically, option 2 turns on/off driver updates from Settings via registry.

    Option 4 enables/disable driver updates using group policy via registry.

    Group policy will override Settings.
    So option two is useless because option four already doing same thing. (Or opposite)
    Sory but I'm still confused. In my logic one of them must delete from tutorial :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 29,999
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17692
    Thread Starter
       12 Mar 2017 #102

    They are basically two different ways to do the same thing.

    Option 1 and 2 is to do so via a setting from Settings.

    Option 3 and 4 is to do so via a policy in Group Policy that will override Option 1 and 2.

    You can check both to make sure they're set how you wanted though.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    12 Mar 2017 #103

    Brink said: View Post
    They are basically two different ways to do the same thing.

    Option 1 and 2 is to do so via a setting from Settings.

    Option 3 and 4 is to do so via a policy in Group Policy that will override Option 1 and 2.

    You can check both to make sure they're set how you wanted though.
    Thank you for answers. Have a good day :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 29,999
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17692
    Thread Starter
       12 Mar 2017 #104

    You're most welcome. :)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    13 Mar 2017 #105

    as add , I think

    the service Device Install Service [ DeviceInstall ]
    can be also mentioned here as option

    I use in an elevated command prompt
    net start DeviceInstall
    for forcing the driver updates
    on a fresh win 10 install with internet access on.

    I do no tested , but I think that a value disabled for the startup of this service
    will disable also the driver updates.

    possibly to work also in 7 and/or 8.x

    c
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 33,713
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       13 Mar 2017 #106

    Yasak Hayat said: View Post
    So option two is useless because option four already doing same thing. (Or opposite)
    Sory but I'm still confused. In my logic one of them must delete from tutorial :)
    Brink said: View Post
    They are basically two different ways to do the same thing.

    Option 1 and 2 is to do so via a setting from Settings.

    Option 3 and 4 is to do so via a policy in Group Policy that will override Option 1 and 2.

    You can check both to make sure they're set how you wanted though.
    Yasak Hayat said: View Post
    Thank you for answers. Have a good day :)
    @Yasak Hayat

    Group Policy editing is not available in Windows 10 Home edition. Settings would be the only option, if you or anyone else is running Home edition. Just for clarification.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 29,999
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17692
    Thread Starter
       13 Mar 2017 #107

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    @Yasak Hayat

    Group Policy editing is not available in Windows 10 Home edition. Settings would be the only option, if you or anyone else is running Home edition. Just for clarification.
    @f14tomcat

    You can still set group policy in the Windows 10 Home edition, but you must manually do so via Registry Editor instead of easily in Local Group Policy Editor since the Local Group Policy Editor is not available in the Windows 10 Home edition.

    Option 4 in this tutorial is for how to set this group policy in Registry Editor.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 33,713
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       13 Mar 2017 #108

    Brink said: View Post
    @f14tomcat

    You can still set group policy in the Windows 10 Home edition, but you must manually do so via Registry Editor instead of easily in Local Group Policy Editor since the Local Group Policy Editor is not available in the Windows 10 Home edition.

    Option 4 in this tutorial is for how to set this group policy in Registry Editor.
    That's what I meant, No GUI editor in Home.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 29,999
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17692
    Thread Starter
       13 Mar 2017 #109

    Ok. I thought that was probably what you meant, but just wanted to clarify to help avoid confusion. :)
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

    Tutorial Categories

    Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Xbox Windows Phone


    Related Threads
    How to Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows 10 will automatically check for new Windows Updates at the time you have set in automatic maintenance. Windows 10 will automatically download and install...
    Performance & Maintenance Enable and Disable Driver Verifier in Windows 10 in Tutorials
    Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable in Windows 10 Driver Verifier is a diagnostic tool built into Windows 10, it is designed to verify both native Microsoft drivers and third party drivers. Driver Verifier's verification process involves...
    Windows Update & Activation Disable Upgrade to Windows 10 Update in Windows 7 or 8.1 in Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Upgrade to Windows 10 in Windows Update for Windows 7 and 8.1 Microsoft is making Windows 10 available for free for one year from the date of availability. This offer is available to customers who are using non-Enterprise,...
    How to Enable or Disable Windows Update Active Hours in Windows 10 Windows Update keeps Windows 10 updated by downloading and installing the latest updates, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoft. Starting with Windows 10 Insider Preview...
    I can't disable windows update driver installation in Windows Updates and Activation
    I upgraded to 10 again without doing anything I usually do before hand. I went to disable the option to not let windows update install drivers and theres no option. I went to advanced system settings, hardware, then device installation settings and...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47.
    Find Us