How to 'Pin to taskbar' Folder and Drive in Windows 10
When you drag a folder or drive on the taskbar, they get a "Pin to File Explorer" in the jump list option by default.
While you could add a folder or drive as a toolbar on the taskbar, it just is not the same as directly pinning the folder or drive to the taskbar like apps.
This tutorial will show you how to Pin to taskbar folders and drives like apps for your account in Windows 10.
Apps, folders, and drives you pin to your taskbar are stored and referenced in both locations below.
In the registry:
In a folder:
%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
While any pinned folders or drives you have will be separate icons on your taskbar, they will still have their taskbar thumbnail previews show on the pinned File Explorer icon when you open them.
EXAMPLE: Folder Pinned to Taskbar
1. Open File Explorer, and navigate to any folder or drive that you want to "Pin to taskbar".
2. Right click or press and hold on the folder or drive, and click/tap on Create shortcut (ex: drive or network folder) or Desktop (create shortcut) (ex: folders) to instantly create a shortcut of it on your desktop. (see screenshots below)
3. On your desktop, right click or press and hold on the folder or drive shortcut created in step 2 above, and click/tap on Properties.
4. Click/tap on the Shortcut tab, add explorer in front of the Target path, and click/tap on Apply. (see screenshots below)
Be sure to leave a space between explorer and the target path.
5. Click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)
6. Under Look for icons in this file, type imageres.dll, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
7. Select a folder or drive icon you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot above)
You can use any icon that you would like to have displayed on the taskbar for this folder or drive though.
8. Click/tap on OK. Notice your new icon from step 7 above at the top left corner. (see screenshot below)
9. Pin to taskbar the folder or drive shortcut on your desktop like you would any app.
10. When finished, delete the folder or drive shortcut on your desktop. This will not affect the pinned folder or drive from this shortcut on your taskbar.