How to Change the Primary Alias for your Microsoft Account
InformationAn account alias is an email address or phone number that you use to sign in to your Microsoft account. You can have multiple aliases, and use any of them with Microsoft services such as Outlook.com, Skype, OneDrive, Office, Xbox, Windows and more.
Your primary alias appears on devices such as your Xbox, Surface, and Windows Phone, and is the email OneDrive sends from when you share. You can choose a different alias to be the primary one at any time.
An alias is also the best way to change your email, but keep all your mail. Add an alias, then make the new alias primary. Then you can keep or remove the original alias.
This tutorial will show you how to make an added email address alias the primary alias for your Microsoft account.
1. Sign in to the Microsoft account website.
2. Under Account aliases, click/tap on the Make primary link to the right of an added email alias you want to be your primary alias. (see screenshot below)
NoteThe email alias at the top of the list without a Make primary link is your current primary alias.
3. Uncheck the Send me promotional offers from Microsoft box if you like, and click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)
- How to Add or Remove Aliases for your Microsoft Account
- How to Change Sign-in Preferences of your Microsoft Account Aliases
- How to Add a New User Account in Windows 10
- How to Switch to a Microsoft Account from a Local Account in Windows 10