Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10
       2015-12-02 #110

    Recovery Drive Size


    Just created a new recovery drive using a 16 GB USB flash drive. No issues and it will boot the computer.

    I looked at the drive properties and it only shows <4 GB in use. I was expecting closer to 8. Using Win 10 (1511) Home. Attached is a PDF of the drive contents. Am I missing anything?

    TIA!

    Recovery.pdf
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 17,432
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15014
       2015-12-02 #111

    Hello FortFun,

    That would be about right for how much it uses for installation USB.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10
       2015-12-02 #112

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello FortFun,

    That would be about right for how much it uses for installation USB.
    Thanks Brink! I was concerned because an article I saw (not one of yours ) said a recovery drive would need close to 8 GB. Feel better now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 17,432
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15014
       2015-12-02 #113

    If it was a multiple architecture (32-bit and 64-bit) installation USB, it could come close to that size.

    A recovery drive would never come close unless you checked the Back up system files to the recovery drive box.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10
       2015-12-02 #114

    Brink said: View Post
    If it was a multiple architecture (32-bit and 64-bit) installation USB, it could come close to that size.

    A recovery drive would never come close unless you checked the Back up system files to the recovery drive box.
    I did check that box.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 17,432
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15014
       2015-12-02 #115

    In that case, I'd say they didn't get backed up the recovery drive for some reason.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10
       2015-12-02 #116

    Brink said: View Post
    In that case, I'd say they didn't get backed up the recovery drive for some reason.
    That's what I was thinking. Time to do some digging. Thanks!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jan 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       2016-01-11 #117

    Hi all. lots of helpful info here. I have a few questions. I have a very new alienware laptop. I was able to create an image to an external HDD using Win 10. I am UNABLE to create a usb recovery drive using Win 10 WITH the include system files box checked. So, If i uncheck include system files and create the usb recovery drive with just the tools, am I able to restore my image using that drive in the event that my C drive were to fail completely? My drive has a recovery partition on the C drive from the factory. However, that is basically useless if that drive fails. All i am able to do in windows is create a usb recovery drive without the system files. And using the image I created on and external drive (~45gb), would i be able to restore my computer to that image with this recovery tool without system files? If not, what do you suggest I do in the event of a total C drive failure? Thanks in advance.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 20,954
    Windows10Pro 64Bit on 2 DeskTop Computers
       2016-01-11 #118

    mcinturf said: View Post
    Hi all. lots of helpful info here. I have a few questions. I have a very new alienware laptop. I was able to create an image to an external HDD using Win 10. I am UNABLE to create a usb recovery drive using Win 10 WITH the include system files box checked. So, If i uncheck include system files and create the usb recovery drive with just the tools, am I able to restore my image using that drive in the event that my C drive were to fail completely? My drive has a recovery partition on the C drive from the factory. However, that is basically useless if that drive fails. All i am able to do in windows is create a usb recovery drive without the system files. And using the image I created on and external drive (~45gb), would i be able to restore my computer to that image with this recovery tool without system files? If not, what do you suggest I do in the event of a total C drive failure? Thanks in advance.
    Most likely you will get a lot of different answers on this. Their are a lot of us that use Macrium Reflect free version for doing all our image backups. Also if you install MR I suggest you make the Rescue Media option, too. It will let you restore your last image to your C drive, from a USB or DVD disk.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 17,432
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15014
       2016-01-11 #119

    Hello mcinturf, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Yes. The recovery drive without the system files include will still boot you to advanced startup options where you can do a system image recovery.

    If you like, you could also create a Windows 10 installation USB that you can boot to advanced startup options and/or install Windows 10 with.

    USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10


    I agree with Mike. Macrium Reflect is a great free program to create images with.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Reset Recovery Image - Create in Windows 10
How to Create a Recovery Image used to Reset Windows 10 If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you can try to refresh, reset, or restore it. When you reset your PC, it will remove everything and reinstall Windows 10 to start...
Tutorials
Ms you are going BONKERS -- Can't create recovery drive !!!!!!!
Hi there what sort of B/S is this -- surely a product this near to RTM (build 10240) should have an option to create a RECOVERY drive. I'd just LOVE to lock some of those I.T managers into a room with no Restrooms (WC's / bogs etc) with some...
Installation and Setup
How would you create a custom recovery in Windows 10?
So how would the home user do this if they wanted to create a recovery after their Windows 10 upgrade. I know for Windows 8 you could do the recimg thing to create the image file. I tried doing the commands listed in one of the thread to create the...
Installation and Setup
What does Create a Recovery Drive do?
Hi I'm not sure from the description what the create a recovery drive option does. Does this make a bootable repair disk, or USB drive, and does it include the files to restore Windows on it or just a disk that lets you access Windows...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:38.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums