Windows 10: Sign in or Sign out of Cortana in Windows 10  

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 30,025
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17692
    Thread Starter
       04 Aug 2015 #30

    The Cortana process is used for Search (SearchUI.exe) application in Windows. It sits suspended in the background until needed though.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SearchUI.png 
Views:	1674 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	28461
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,085
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       04 Aug 2015 #31

    Brink said: View Post
    The Cortana process is used for Search (SearchUI.exe) application in Windows. It sits suspended in the background until needed though.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SearchUI.png 
Views:	1674 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	28461
    Meaning same as this process, as shown by other is needed to run for same reasons ?

    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 11308
Size:  105.1 KB
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,226
    10.5 Home 1803 x64
       04 Aug 2015 #32

    You can delete or rename C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana.
    You have to close SearchUI.exe process and then you have like 2-3 seconds to do it.
    It will prevent SearchUI.exe from running, but there might be some problems related to it.

      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 3,085
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       04 Aug 2015 #33

    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    You can delete or rename C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana.
    You have to close SearchUI.exe process and then you have like 2-3 seconds to do it.
    It will prevent SearchUI.exe from running, but there might be some problems related to it.

    Seen process of renaming it, not sure wanted to try that yet. Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 20,824
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       05 Aug 2015 #34

    Good morning(my time) Shawn. Messing around, learning the OS better, I just found out that turning off the Geofencing(Location finder) also turns Cortana off and sets her to normal search function like in Windows 8.1. You might want to post this warning in Location Setting tutorial(if you have one or are planning on it).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.png 
Views:	420 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	28534
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 30,025
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17692
    Thread Starter
       05 Aug 2015 #35

    Good afternoon Cliff,

    Odd. Cortana is listed as Search instead for me in the Location settings.

    I'll write up a Location tutorial today. Thank you. :)
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,085
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       05 Aug 2015 #36

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Good morning(my time) Shawn. Messing around, learning the OS better, I just found out that turning off the Geofencing(Location finder) also turns Cortana off and sets her to normal search function like in Windows 8.1. You might want to post this warning in Location Setting tutorial(if you have one or are planning on it).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.png 
Views:	420 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	28534
    Seems to be only if Cortana is already on without doing original tutorial as far as i can see on mine. Not listed in location on mine.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 30,025
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17692
    Thread Starter
       05 Aug 2015 #37

    jds63 said: View Post
    Seems to be only if Cortana is already on without doing original tutorial as far as i can see on mine. Not listed in location on mine.
    Cortana was listed as Search in Location settings for me. Is it the same for you?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 3,085
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       05 Aug 2015 #38

    Brink said: View Post
    Cortana was listed as Search in Location settings for me. Is it the same for you?
    Where in search do you want me to check, as i followed your tutorial to shut part of Cortana off or bring it back to default for now ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 30,025
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17692
    Thread Starter
       05 Aug 2015 #39

    jds63 said: View Post
    Where in search do you want me to check, as i followed your tutorial to shut part of Cortana off or bring it back to default for now ?
    I was just referring to inside your Location settings like in the screenshots Cliff posted above. :)
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

    Tutorial Categories

    Sign in or Sign out of Cortana in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Xbox Windows Phone


    Related Threads
    Hardware & Drivers Turn On or Off AutoPlay in Windows 10 in Tutorials
    How to Turn On or Off AutoPlay in Windows 10 AutoPlay lets you choose an action for different kinds of media when you plug in a device or insert media. You can set AutoPlay to open different kinds of content, such as photos, music, and video...
    How to Turn On or Off the Game Bar in Windows 10 The Game bar is a Xbox app Game DVR feature that lets you record and share game clips and screenshots in Windows 10. However, you can also use the Game bar to broadcast, record, and take...
    How to Turn Taskbar Notification Area System Icons On or Off in Windows 10 System icons, including Clock, Volume, Network, Power, Input Indicator, and Action Center are located on the taskbar system tray (aka: notification area) by default. When...
    How to Turn On or Off Cortana in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of your device and the version of Cortana...

    Tags for this Thread

    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:28.
    Find Us