Windows 10: Cortana - Turn On or Off in Windows 10
Oh, that is what i meant before in my response, nope not there. Because not being used, following your steps on turning off.
Search is there, this what you meant ?
Yep, that's what I meant. That is was showing as Search instead of Cortana for me in Location settings.
o.k. and you mean same search Cortana uses you also meant before i asked this somewhere else here and you were saying this to me. Cortana only show there if it is on.
I believe there is:
Things you need to know
While Microsoft is providing different ways to turn off Cortana in Windows 10, there are a few things you may want to know about this feature and data collection:
- You can only disable Cortana per device. You cannot simply disable the digital assistant in one device and expect to be turned off on every Windows device you own
- The name you set Cortana to call you is also set per device, not globally
- You can clear data and personal information that Microsoft collects using Cortana, but there isn't a button to stop collecting information globally in your Microsoft account
- If you do not want Microsoft to store personal information in the cloud, turn off Cortana on all your devices, then clear all your personal information from your Microsoft account
- If you disable Cortana in one device, then you clear your information stored online, but if you have another device using Cortana, then that information will once again be uploaded and stored in your account
- Turning off Cortana will make Windows 10 less efficient in trying to make better suggestions for you
- Yes, the search bar on the taskbar will continue to work. It won't disappear because you disable Cortana. However, you will be limited to simple searches (locally and from the web)
- You can always turn on Cortana by opening search on the taskbar, going to the Settings section of the left panel, and sliding the pill switch to the On position. You can also do it via the Settings app > Privacy > Speech, inking, & typing and clicking the Get to know me button
That's basically to also clear your personal information collected by Cortana, and won't affect the Cortana process for Windows search though.
Nice post Gary, thanks, but this is what i meant in Task manager.
I did not enable Cortana at the setup as I do not want to use it-I do not need or want a personal assistant. I also do not use Dragon Assistant which is hooked up with Dragon software on the computer and totally updated with Windows 10.
What I want to know is can Cortana be uninstalled and taken totally out of your computer-I do not want it nor do I trust it. (Without harming the computer)
You can't really 'remove/uninstall' Cortana without severely crippling other parts of the OS.
From a security point of view, leaving it disabled should suffice.
You can also adjust privacy settings to choose what is shared or accessed through the system in Settings>Privacy.
How to Turn On or Off AutoPlay in Windows 10
AutoPlay lets you choose an action for different kinds of media when you plug in a device or insert media. You can set AutoPlay to open different kinds of content, such as photos, music, and video on...
How to Turn On or Off the Game Bar in Windows 10
The Game bar is a Xbox app Game DVR feature that lets you record and share game clips and screenshots in Windows 10. However, you can also use the Game bar to broadcast, record, and take...
How to Turn Taskbar Notification Area System Icons On or Off in Windows 10
System icons, including Clock, Volume, Network, Power, Input Indicator, and Action Center are special icons that are part of Windows. For these icons, you can change how...
How to Turn On or Off Cortana in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10
Microsoft Edge has your chatty personal assistant, Cortana, right in the address bar. She's there to help you do things faster and easier—like make reservations and get at-a-glance...