How to Set a Display as Main Display in Windows 10
If you have two or more displays connected to your PC, then you will be able to select which display you want as the main display for all users by default.
The display set to be the main display will act as the active desktop, show the clock and notification area on the taskbar, sign in, lock, and CTRL+ALT+DELETE screens will open on, and most items will open on the main display by default when you initially open them.
This tutorial will show you how to set a display to be the main display when you have multiple displays connected to your Windows 10 PC.
Any user on the PC will be able to set a display as the main display.
The display set as the main display will be applied to all users on the PC.
EXAMPLE: Display set as Main Display
1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to open Display settings.
2. Right click or press and hold on your desktop, click/tap on Display settings, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)
3. Open Settings, click/tap on the System icon, and go to step 4 below.
4. On the right side of Display, click/tap on the display at the top that you want to make the main display, check the Make this my main display box, and click/tap on Apply. (see screenshots below)
You can click/tap on the Identity button to briefly display numbers on your display(s) to help see which display belongs with each number.
If Make this my main display
and the Apply
button are both grayed out, then it means that the currently selected display is already set as the main dislpay.
5. When finished, you can Settings if you like.