Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10  

Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 84856575859 LastLast

  1. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       #570

    Take Ownership didn't work for system owned directory/files?


    Hi Shawn,

    Thank you very much for your work and kindness to help people. I am new here, and don't know much of compute. I tried Take Ownership in 2017 version it didn't work well for me; I then found the 2020 version (Add Change Owner to Context Menu in Windows 10) for Windows 10 (I am using Win10). The appearance in the context menu is correct (as showed in the tutorials), however it seems that I could not change the owneship of the system owned directors nor files, eventhrough I choosed "Change Owners to Administrators". Is that normal (should be)? or I shall do something more? if there is a new version of your Take Ownership? There are so many messages in the forum, I could'n understand
    all of them, and don't know what to follow. Thanks in advance for your advise.
      My Computer

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 57,895
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21390
    Thread Starter
       #571

    James Wang said:
    Hi Shawn,

    Thank you very much for your work and kindness to help people. I am new here, and don't know much of compute. I tried Take Ownership in 2017 version it didn't work well for me; I then found the 2020 version (Add Change Owner to Context Menu in Windows 10) for Windows 10 (I am using Win10). The appearance in the context menu is correct (as showed in the tutorials), however it seems that I could not change the owneship of the system owned directors nor files, eventhrough I choosed "Change Owners to Administrators". Is that normal (should be)? or I shall do something more? if there is a new version of your Take Ownership? There are so many messages in the forum, I could'n understand
    all of them, and don't know what to follow. Thanks in advance for your advise.
    Hello James, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    The "Change Owner" and "Take Ownership" context menus perform different actions.

    The "Change Owner" context menu will only change the owner of an item (if able) without changing its permissions.

    The "Take Ownership" context menu will change the owner of an item to the current user and change its permissions to allow the current user full control access.

    If you are not able to change the owner and/or permissions of an item using the context menus above, then you may need to do so manually.

    Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10

    Change Permissions of Objects for Users and Groups in Windows 10

    Changing the owner and permissions of system files can break things in Windows 10.

      My Computers

  3. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,752
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #572

    James Wang said:
    I could not change the owneship of the system owned directors nor files
    Mr. Wang, can you specify the paths of the directories and files?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       #573

    Thank for your advice


    Matthew Wai said:
    Mr. Wang, can you specify the paths of the directories and files?
    Thanks Brink and Matthew for your kind advice. During my uninstall office 2019 one note, it was interrupted accidently, some (I don't know how many) files was left. I searched in windows explorer, its file is split in many places. I tried to delete the files, but with no success, as the ownership issue (I guess). I tried take ownership and change ownership, it didn't help (the message says it owned by system or trust....). Thanks Brink clarified the difference between take ownership and change owner, maybe I should stick with "take ownership"? is there any new version that I should use?

    - - - Updated - - -

    I found unknow accounts in the "group or user names" could that be a problem?Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10-group-user-names.jpg
      My Computer

  5. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,752
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #574

    James Wang said:
    I tried to delete the files, but with no success
    Use NSudo to delete the files without having to take ownership or change permissions.

    https://github.com/M2Team/NSudo/rele...All_Binary.zip

    Source: Download | NSudo

    If you don't know how to use it, post the exact file paths here.
    Hold down the Shift key and right-click on the file. Select "Copy as path".
      My Computer

  6. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 57,895
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21390
    Thread Starter
       #575

    James Wang said:
    Thanks Brink and Matthew for your kind advice. During my uninstall office 2019 one note, it was interrupted accidently, some (I don't know how many) files was left. I searched in windows explorer, its file is split in many places. I tried to delete the files, but with no success, as the ownership issue (I guess). I tried take ownership and change ownership, it didn't help (the message says it owned by system or trust....). Thanks Brink clarified the difference between take ownership and change owner, maybe I should stick with "take ownership"? is there any new version that I should use?

    - - - Updated - - -

    I found unknow accounts in the "group or user names" could that be a problem?
    The tutorial contains the latest "Take Ownership" version.

    The "Account Unknown" entries in "Security" are from either accounts that have been deleted or not currently available (ex: on another computer if file on removable drive)

    The path below in your screenshot is a protected OS folder.

    "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository"

    I would recommend to try what Matthew posted above.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       #576

    Thanks for your kind help, the problem is solved.


    Brink said:
    The tutorial contains the latest "Take Ownership" version.

    The "Account Unknown" entries in "Security" are from either accounts that have been deleted or not currently available (ex: on another computer if file on removable drive)

    The path below in your screenshot is a protected OS folder.

    "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository"

    I would recommend to try what Matthew posted above.
    Thanks for you (both) kind help, the problem is solved. I do appreciate!
      My Computer

  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 57,895
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21390
    Thread Starter
       #577

    James Wang said:
    Thanks for you (both) kind help, the problem is solved. I do appreciate!
    Great news.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #578

    Hey, I am having issues with taking ownership in the WindowsApps directory, I want to modify the settings of the game but all I can see in the console is access denied. I was previously trying to do it manually so maybe that might've broken something.
      My Computer

  10. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 57,895
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21390
    Thread Starter
       #579

    CanExiOne said:
    Hey, I am having issues with taking ownership in the WindowsApps directory, I want to modify the settings of the game but all I can see in the console is access denied. I was previously trying to do it manually so maybe that might've broken something.
    Hello CanExiOne, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Everything in the WindowsApps directory is highly protected by the OS, and requires you to change the owner to the current administrator user and allowing "Full control" permissions for each and every file you want to modify, and each directory the file is in.

    I've only been able to manually do it for this directory. Of course, the owner and permissions automatically get reset back to default eventually. The next time the game app gets an update, it may reset your changes to the file back to default as well.

    Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10

    Change Permissions of Objects for Users and Groups in Windows 10
      My Computers


 
Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 84856575859 LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:49.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums