Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10  

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

  1. Posts : 412
    win 11 pro
       #160

    Got a job offer to work at home, failed the SSD drive test, BitLocker is enable , cant i just use V DRIVE without encryption ?
    Thanks'
    Last edited by Bench Virgin; 21 Nov 2020 at 14:35. Reason: updating
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 61,510
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #161

    Bench Virgin said:
    Got a job offer to work at home, failed the SSD drive test, BitLocker is enable , cant i just use V DRIVE without encryption ?
    Thanks'
    Hello mate,

    I'm not sure what you mean by "V DRIVE", but you don't have to encrypt the drive if you don't want to.

    Just to verify, did you mean for Device Encryption instead of BitLocker?

    How to Turn On or Off Device Encryption in Windows 10
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 412
    win 11 pro
       #162

    Brink said:
    Hello mate,

    I'm not sure what you mean by "V DRIVE", but you don't have to encrypt the drive if you don't want to.

    Just to verify, did you mean for Device Encryption instead of BitLocker?

    How to Turn On or Off Device Encryption in Windows 10
    Virtual drive , sorry
    Also it is Device Encryption , will go to that link , thank you!
    Just moved from legacy to UEFI ,good to go !
    Last edited by Bench Virgin; 21 Nov 2020 at 16:00. Reason: updating
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 61,510
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #163

    Bench Virgin said:
    Virtual drive , sorry
    Also it is Device Encryption , will go to that link , thank you!
    Just moved from legacy to UEFI ,good to go !
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 225
    Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 (standalone licence)
       #164

    Firstly thank you very much for this post!

    I had have just followed, or so I thought the steps to set up TPM and PIN on my O/S drive. I have also configured the GP to allow enhanced PINs on the O/S drive. These are the only two policies enabled in the whole Bitlocker Group Policy folder, the others are all 'not configured'. But when I turn on Bitlocker I get an error message that Bitlocker startup options are in conflict. I have looked at the steps again and I cannot see what is wrong.

    Can you please advise, here are my settings:
    Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10-tpm.png
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 61,510
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #165

    kevvyb said:
    Firstly thank you very much for this post!

    I had have just followed, or so I thought the steps to set up TPM and PIN on my O/S drive. I have also configured the GP to allow enhanced PINs on the O/S drive. These are the only two policies enabled in the whole Bitlocker Group Policy folder, the others are all 'not configured'. But when I turn on Bitlocker I get an error message that Bitlocker startup options are in conflict. I have looked at the steps again and I cannot see what is wrong.

    Can you please advise, here are my settings:
    Hello,

    Test with the policy settings below.

      My Computers


  7. Posts : 225
    Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 (standalone licence)
       #166

    Thank you so much for the very quick response. That has worked.

    May I just ask one more related question? Someone on here asserted that SSDs are vulnerable to data recovery when with data already saved to the drive. i.e. that the SSD should be wiped and encrypted before adding any data. It sounded like this was a not based on very much and the poster has not come back to back the assertions up. Do you think there is any validity to this?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 61,510
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #167

    kevvyb said:
    Thank you so much for the very quick response. That has worked.

    May I just ask one more related question? Someone on here asserted that SSDs are vulnerable to data recovery when with data already saved to the drive. i.e. that the SSD should be wiped and encrypted before adding any data. It sounded like this was a not based on very much and the poster has not come back to back the assertions up. Do you think there is any validity to this?
    It shouldn't be an issue if you select to encrypt the entire drive and not just used space.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 225
    Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 (standalone licence)
       #168

    Thank you. I selected entire disk and after restart by the time I looked at the progress it had almost completed. Is that normal with SSDs? (500GB)
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 61,510
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #169

    kevvyb said:
    Thank you. I selected entire disk and after restart by the time I looked at the progress it had almost completed. Is that normal with SSDs? (500GB)
    SSDs are faster, but it really just depends on how much actual data has to be encrypted for how long it may take.
      My Computers


 

Tutorial Categories

Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums