Change Workgroup in Windows 10  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 61,587
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #10

      My Computers


  2. Posts : 248
    Win 10 Pro 64
       #11

    Over the years I have changed PCs and OSs many times but always set them up to use a Workgroup which I renamed to suit myself before doing anything else! I don't remember what was necessary in Win 95 but whatever it was, it (eventually) worked. Changing the OS to 98, XP, 7, 8.1 always accepted the configuration and I could set the sharing permissions on files and folders without problem. It even worked on the first Win 10 installation. On the PC I was using at that time it still works.

    BUT (there has to be a but!) on my new PC with Win 10 installed from scratch, sometimes sharing works and sometimes it doesn't. Certain folders on certain PCs in the workgroup will share and some won't. Sometines it works from A to B, and sometimes not from B to A!

    Is there a procedure I should go through on every PC in the workgroup so that the whole sharing thing works for any file/folder I choose to share and from any PC to any other in all the combinations possibel?

    Tony
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 61,587
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #12

    Snugglebugs said:
    Over the years I have changed PCs and OSs many times but always set them up to use a Workgroup which I renamed to suit myself before doing anything else! I don't remember what was necessary in Win 95 but whatever it was, it (eventually) worked. Changing the OS to 98, XP, 7, 8.1 always accepted the configuration and I could set the sharing permissions on files and folders without problem. It even worked on the first Win 10 installation. On the PC I was using at that time it still works.

    BUT (there has to be a but!) on my new PC with Win 10 installed from scratch, sometimes sharing works and sometimes it doesn't. Certain folders on certain PCs in the workgroup will share and some won't. Sometines it works from A to B, and sometimes not from B to A!

    Is there a procedure I should go through on every PC in the workgroup so that the whole sharing thing works for any file/folder I choose to share and from any PC to any other in all the combinations possibel?

    Tony
    Hello Tony,

    You might double check the items in option 1 of the tutorial below on all computers on the network you want to share between to see if it may help.

    Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 248
    Win 10 Pro 64
       #13

    Brink said:
    Hello Tony,

    You might double check the items in option 1 of the tutorial below on all computers on the network you want to share between to see if it may help.

    Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10
    Brink - thanks for the tip.
    I have gone through all the steps in Option 1 and changed them where they were not already set to those settings. I have done that on two Win 10 PCs and one Win 7 PC. Respectively Lenovo2019(10Pro), Acer 2020(10Home) and Acer 2008(7Pro).Results so far not conclusive and that may be because of a vagueness in the tutorial!
    For 10Home without SMB Direct I now have only the last two SMB boxes checked. For 10Pro, should all three boxes be checked.as well as the Direct box below them? For 7Pro those boxes don't exist. Is there something else?

    Tony
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 61,587
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #14

    Snugglebugs said:
    Thanks for the tip. I have gone though all the steps in Option 1 and changed them where they were not already set to those settings. I have done that on two Win 10 PCs and one Win 7 PC. Respectively Lenovo2019(10Pro), Acer 2020(10Home) and Acer 2008(7Pro).Results so far not conclusive and that may be because of a vagueness in the tutorial!
    For 10Home without SMB Direct I now have only the last two SMB boxes checked. For 10Pro, should all three boxes be checked.as well as the Direct box below them? For 7Pro those boxes don't exist. Is there something else?

    Tony
    It sounds like you will need to enable SMB1 on all computers so they will see each other.

    Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 248
    Win 10 Pro 64
       #15

    Brink said:
    It sounds like you will need to enable SMB1 on all computers so they will see each other.

    Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows
    Cor !

    Tomorrow perhaps!!!

    Tony

    Win 10 is supposed to be easy to use! But look at the hundreds of Tutorials each of which has at least one Yes/No option and the permutations are astronomical
    How about "Do you want to share information over a network - tick for yes or don't for no" - what else is needed?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Brink said:
    It sounds like you will need to enable SMB1 on all computers so they will see each other.

    Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows
    Of course that needs Powershell on Win 7 which I don't have! So I found how to get that and it wouldn't install until I got two more installs. They are taking AGES to install so I will report back when, hopefully, I can run Powershell to then d eal with SMB1

    Why can't life be simpler?

    Tony

    - - - Updated - - -

    This is so silly Having done all the configuring Brink et al suggested, I still couldn't access some of the other PCs on the Workgroup. I have four so the possible see shared files is twelve. Eight of those possible links worked but not the other four. Those ones kept asking for Network Credentials on a little form that looks as if it belongs on 95/98 OSs.

    As I don't remember ever set such credentials and they can't be found anywhere I seemed to be stuck.
    Then I tried something that is plain silly!
    Instead of User Name, I typed my email address. THEN the login password on the requesting PC gave me access to the one that was hiding!

    Now I will have to try that on the other three failures.

    Tony
    Last edited by Snugglebugs; 11 Aug 2020 at 12:39.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 61,587
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #16

    Snugglebugs said:
    This is so silly Having done all the configuring Brink et al suggested, I still couldn't access some of the other PCs on the Workgroup. I have four so the possible see shared files is twelve. Eight of those possible links worked but not the other four. Those ones kept asking for Network Credentials on a little form that looks as if it belongs on 95/98 OSs.

    As I don't remember ever set such credentials and they can't be found anywhere I seemed to be stuck.
    Then I tried something that is plain silly!
    Instead of User Name, I typed my email address. THEN the login password on the requesting PC gave me access to the one that was hiding!

    Now I will have to try that on the other three failures.

    Tony
    Agreed. It so much simpler using the HomeGroup feature until it was removed.

    This is one reason why I use a NAS on the home network (connected to router via ethernet) to share files on between all my devices connected (wired or wireless) to the same home network.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 248
    Win 10 Pro 64
       #17

    Brink said:
    Agreed. It so much simpler using the HomeGroup feature until it was removed.

    This is one reason why I use a NAS on the home network (connected to router via ethernet) to share files on between all my devices connected (wired or wireless) to the same home network.
    I never liked Homegroup as it gave me a lot of trouble years ago. I have once setup NAS so I could try and remember how to do it. I suppose it will work on 95/98, 7, 8.1, and 10? Sadly I can't try XP as that one went into melt-down!

    Tony

    PS I have been trying to find out if I can make Network Credentials visible as the system is convinced I have some! Any ideas?
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 61,587
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #18

    Snugglebugs said:
    PS I have been trying to find out if I can make Network Credentials visible as the system is convinced I have some! Any ideas?
    It normally would be the same account credentials as the user/owner of the share/network computer you are trying to open.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 248
    Win 10 Pro 64
       #19

    Thanks Brink. That is the only comment I have read which is clearly written!

    Tony
      My Computers


 

Tutorial Categories

Change Workgroup in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:16.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums