Windows 10: Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10  

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 30,012
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17692
    Thread Starter
       26 Aug 2016 #20

    Kol12 said: View Post
    Hi Brink,

    In the case of the DefaultMediaCost folder, after changing the owner, do I simply just tick the allow full control tickbox for the new owner?
    Yes, that's correct for the new owner, the "Administrators" group. :)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    26 Aug 2016 #21

    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    I have tested it, but the problem is, that WU would not download updates, even if I wanted to, Defender's definitions updates will fail as well. I get 0% at all times. I use WUMT, so no problem, just wondering, if it is me or everyone.
    We need to update WD's definitions within WD itself.

    But, on last update, WU did download the updates but it just for an updates that marked as Critical Updates. That's happen to me on the last updates that brings the build to 14393.82 (KB3176934 and KB3176936).

    After checking for updates and then we click on download (if sets WU to Notify), WU will say "WU will not download and install KB1234567 on metered connection automatically. Click download to download and install the update but you will be charged for data usage...................................................", something like that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 880
    Windows 10 64 bit, 1709
       27 Aug 2016 #22

    Hi Brink,

    I have applied the metered connection reg file. Is there somehow I can confirm my connection is now metered? I'm currently fully up to date with Windows updates.

    Will Windows Defender still automatically update on a metered connection?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 880
    Windows 10 64 bit, 1709
       27 Aug 2016 #23

    Does Windows Defender update through Windows update or through it's own app? I notice when clicking check for updates (in the windows update settings) if there is a defender definition update available it try's to download it but throw's an error as someone else also mentioned. If I download the definition through Windows Defender manually though it downloads with no problem. Not sure why WU is throwing that error on WD definitions, I haven't had new Windows updates come through to test whether the metered connection conversion has worked yet but Windows defender does inform me that I'm using a metered connection now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    27 Aug 2016 #24

    Permission issues with the REG I think. Even manual method, I can add Full Permissions to the Admin group and My User (part of Local Admin group) for:
    - Network List - folder key

    but not able to save permissions (denied) for
    - Default Media Cost

    PS: Only have ethernet on the VM, so if there's another way do let me know.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 880
    Windows 10 64 bit, 1709
       27 Aug 2016 #25

    xbliss said: View Post
    Permission issues with the REG I think. Even manual method, I can add Full Permissions to the Admin group and My User (part of Local Admin group) for:
    - Network List - folder key

    but not able to save permissions (denied) for
    - Default Media Cost

    PS: Only have ethernet on the VM, so if there's another way do let me know.
    Why can't you save permissions on the DefaultMediaCost folder?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 30,012
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17692
    Thread Starter
       27 Aug 2016 #26

    xbliss said: View Post
    Permission issues with the REG I think. Even manual method, I can add Full Permissions to the Admin group and My User (part of Local Admin group) for:
    - Network List - folder key

    but not able to save permissions (denied) for
    - Default Media Cost

    PS: Only have ethernet on the VM, so if there's another way do let me know.
    xbliss,

    It sounds like you missed doing step 4 first to change the owner to "Administrators".
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 30,012
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17692
    Thread Starter
       27 Aug 2016 #27

    Kol12 said: View Post
    Does Windows Defender update through Windows update or through it's own app? I notice when clicking check for updates (in the windows update settings) if there is a defender definition update available it try's to download it but throw's an error as someone else also mentioned. If I download the definition through Windows Defender manually though it downloads with no problem. Not sure why WU is throwing that error on WD definitions, I haven't had new Windows updates come through to test whether the metered connection conversion has worked yet but Windows defender does inform me that I'm using a metered connection now.
    You should normally be able to update WD definitions via WU or WD.

    When you are set to a metered connection, you should have to click on a "Download" and "Install" button when you have available updates.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 3,226
    10.5 Home 1803 x64
       27 Aug 2016 #28

    Kol12 said: View Post
    Why can't you save permissions on the DefaultMediaCost folder?
    how to take ownership permission of a registry key in windows 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 880
    Windows 10 64 bit, 1709
       27 Aug 2016 #29

    Brink said: View Post
    You should normally be able to update WD definitions via WU or WD.

    When you are set to a metered connection, you should have to click on a "Download" and "Install" button when you have available updates.
    These are the two messages I get regarding a Windows Defender definition update through Windows update. Have I done something wrong somewhere to cause this?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows_defender_update_errors.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	98505
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

    Tutorial Categories

    Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Xbox Windows Phone


    Related Threads
    Internet service providers can charge by the amount of data used (the amount of data sent and received by your PC). That's called a metered Internet connection. These plans often have a data limit, and if you exceed the limit you might have to pay...
    need to set Internet to metered connection in Windows home with ethernet connection. only seems to be an option for WIFI....I don't connect using WIFI but have a metered connection, so can't afford windows to auto download.... is is there a...
    Windows Update on (non-)metered connection. in Windows Updates and Activation
    Hi, I'm currently installing a computer for someone who basically uses it to pay bills and read emails. They connect to internet with an USB dongle that connects to 4G network. It is a non-metered subscription and I've changed that connection...
    How to update Windows 10 over metered connection? in Windows Updates and Activation
    I'm running Windows 10 Pro. I've had it a week and notice that no updates have yet been downloaded - all the available updates are marked 'Waiting for download'. I use a mobile broadband dongle and I am limited to 10 GB data a month. My...
    Hi, I have installed the latest build of Windows 10 and I am using a Huawei modem E173 to connect to internet. The problem is that the connection is set as metered and I cant install any updates and also the connection drops frequently. How to solve...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:03.
    Find Us