Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup  

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
  1. Snugglebugs's Avatar
    Posts : 233
    Win 10 Pro 64
       #230

    Snugglebugs said:
    You were right. That box was checked! How many thousand more options are set wrongly on Win 10?
    Unchecked now. Cross fingers!

    Didn't help. Still needs p/w to restart.
    I left it and overnight the fairies fixed it!
    But seriously I think that changed screensaver setting needed me to click on Apply which I forgot to do.
    Today most of the problems have gone away. I will work through your later message 229 and check all your questions and reply with the answers later today.
      My Computers

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 59,924
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #231

    Snugglebugs said:
    I left it and overnight the fairies fixed it!
    But seriously I think that changed screensaver setting needed me to click on Apply which I forgot to do.
    Today most of the problems have gone away. I will work through your later message 229 and check all your questions and reply with the answers later today.
    Great news so far.
      My Computers

  3. Snugglebugs's Avatar
    Posts : 233
    Win 10 Pro 64
       #232

    Answers
    Acer2020

    1. no and it still does not have one according to signin options
    2. is unchecked
    3. was set to when waking up from sleep - now changed to never
    4. was checked (see note) but before answering this I had changed it to unticked which did help

    Lenovo2019
    Same settings but that has always been able to boot without PIN

    My General Notes

    Re screensaver - I never noticed that Resume box and as it appeared to be a Sleep setting causing problems, I never looked to find a problem with the screensaver!
    In fact, settings for wait times on screensaver, display off, or sleep are not separate as they should be but interfere in different ways.
    For example, I had SS at 10 minutes, screen at 20 minutes and sleep at 30 minutes.
    The saver came on at 10 after last HID interaction. But the display turned blank after a further 20 making it 30 total! As there is no message to state what event has been triggered, there is no way of knowing if the display is blank because of the 10 + 20 time, or the 30 time.
    What doesn't help is that the screen can be blank because it is being told to display black, or because the video signal has gone off so there is noting to display. Thus you can't see if it is in the display off or the sleep situation and that confuses fault finding.

    Anyway, until further notice(!) it is now behaving the way I want it.

    Thanks for help.
      My Computers

  4. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 59,924
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #233

    Snugglebugs said:
    Anyway, until further notice(!) it is now behaving the way I want it.

    Thanks for help.
    Great news.
      My Computers

  5. Snugglebugs's Avatar
    Posts : 233
    Win 10 Pro 64
       #234

    Brink said:
    Great news.
    It was, until 2021-11 and Feature update 21H2 earlier this week when it reverted to needing sign-in when restarting, and the same every day since!
    I have managed to reduce it to password only but no better. I have just gone through all the steps above (#232) and will see what happens. I will also disable gpedit convenience PIN sign-in setting. The Disable Hello in Settings seems to have vanished!

    I wish there was some way of LOCKING settings that work instead of being at the mercy of Update whims.
      My Computers

  6. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 59,924
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #235

    Snugglebugs said:
    It was, until 2021-11 and Feature update 21H2 earlier this week when it reverted to needing sign-in when restarting, and the same every day since!
    I have managed to reduce it to password only but no better. I have just gone through all the steps above (#232) and will see what happens. I will also disable gpedit convenience PIN sign-in setting. The Disable Hello in Settings seems to have vanished!

    I wish there was some way of LOCKING settings that work instead of being at the mercy of Update whims.
    I hear you. It stinks when an update resets some setting(s) back to default.
      My Computers

  7. Snugglebugs's Avatar
    Posts : 233
    Win 10 Pro 64
       #236

    Brink said:
    I hear you. It stinks when an update resets some setting(s) back to default.
    I have tried to check all the ones I tried in September and I will give it a good nights sleep and see if it wakes up tomorrow refreshed

    - - - Updated - - -

    Snugglebugs said:
    I have tried to check all the ones I tried in September and I will give it a good nights sleep and see if it wakes up tomorrow refreshed
    Refreshed, no.
    Changed, yes
    Now the Welcome page says Wrong password BEFORE I have entered anything at all!

    - - - Updated - - -

    I have found a setup windows that has lots of logon options. I wonder if one of those needs changing? Its called secpol.msc

    - - - Updated - - -

    Or maybe this one?

    1. Navigate to the path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Settings\AllowSignInOptions.
    2. In the right panel, double-click on the DWORD entry named value and set it to 0.

    When all steps are finished, reboot your computer and check whether the Windows Hello is disabled

    There are so may switches that its difficult to understand what is sensible or just disastrous1
      My Computers


  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 59,924
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #237

    Snugglebugs said:
    Now the Welcome page says Wrong password BEFORE I have entered anything at all!
    Usually, that means either the password (not PIN) was entered incorrectly in netplwiz or you changed the password or computer name after setting up netplwiz causing netplwiz to need updating again.
      My Computers

  9. Snugglebugs's Avatar
    Posts : 233
    Win 10 Pro 64
       #238

    Brink said:
    Usually, that means either the password (not PIN) was entered incorrectly in netplwiz or you changed the password or computer name after setting up netplwiz causing netplwiz to need updating again.
    That's odd. I hadn't intentionally altered any passwords but when I use the Manage Passwords page there it states that Windows Credentials have all been modified today.
    There doesn't seem to be any way that I can see the password listed there to check it. The number of dots does not match the length of any password I use. And, which password does it refer to? Presumably my MS account.

    The only change I have made using netplwiz is to untick the box to allow logon without a password. I did that a while ago and confirmed it with the MS P/W

    By the way, when the screen shows the logon page there is no box for P/W, just the message. If I press Enter, only then does the box appear and then I use the MS P/W without problem, except that I don't want to have to use it!
      My Computers

  10. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 59,924
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #239

    Snugglebugs said:
    That's odd. I hadn't intentionally altered any passwords but when I use the Manage Passwords page there it states that Windows Credentials have all been modified today.
    There doesn't seem to be any way that I can see the password listed there to check it. The number of dots does not match the length of any password I use. And, which password does it refer to? Presumably my MS account.

    The only change I have made using netplwiz is to untick the box to allow logon without a password. I did that a while ago and confirmed it with the MS P/W

    By the way, when the screen shows the logon page there is no box for P/W, just the message. If I press Enter, only then does the box appear and then I use the MS P/W without problem, except that I don't want to have to use it!
    You could try setting up netplwiz again to update it to see how it does afterwards.
      My Computers


 
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:48.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums