Set Default Folder View for all Folders in Windows 10  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Set Default Folder View for all Folders in Windows 10

    Set Default Folder View for all Folders in Windows 10

    How to Set a Default Folder View for All Folders in Windows 10
    Published by Category: Customization
    09 Dec 2019
    Designer Media Ltd


    How to Set a Default Folder View for All Folders in Windows 10


    While browsing folders in File Explorer, you can apply the view settings of the current folder to all folders on your PC that are optimized for the same folder template type.

    This tutorial will show you how to set a custom default folder view for all folders for your account in Windows 10.

    The view settings will not be applied to libraries, This PC, and open and save as dialog boxes.




    Here's How:

    1 Set a default folder template to have all folders to be optimized for a General Items, Documents, Pictures, Music, or Videos type.

    2 In File Explorer (Win+E), open a folder (ex: Pictures) that you want to apply its folder view to all folders.

    3 Customize this folder's layout, column width, sort by, and group by view to how you like.

    4 When finished, use Apply to Folders to apply this folder's view to all folders.


    That's it,
    Shawn




  1. Posts : 10
    windows 10 Home
       #1

    If this doesn't apply to libraries, This PC, and open and save as dialog boxes, it is not very useful info, is it?
      My Computer

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 48,966
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 19640
    Thread Starter
       #2

    Hello Merry,

    It depends on if you want to apply a default folder view to all other folders in File Explorer or not.

    You will still be able to manually apply a folder view to libraries, This PC, and open and save as dialog boxes though.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 10
    windows 10 Home
       #3

    If I understand correctly, I must go folder by folder manually applying my preferred view, and do so again every time there is an update and MS, as we all know, sets everything back to their ways. Ther is no magical solution to choose folder setting and be able to keep them, correct?
      My Computer

  4. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 48,966
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 19640
    Thread Starter
       #4

    There's not an easy way to quickly set folder views for all libraries, This PC, and open and save as dialog boxes.

    Once you have your folder views set how you like, you can back them up to be able to quickly and easily restore as needed afterwards.

    How to Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 22
    windows 10
       #5

    Hello, are you sure that windows will remember the columns ? I cannot achieve this on my computer. Thank you.
      My Computer

  6. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 48,966
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 19640
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Hello buythiscomputer, :)

    If you did all the steps in the tutorial on the first page, your folder view should be applied to all folders.

    Just to note, view settings will not be applied to libraries, This PC, and open and save as dialog boxes.
      My Computers



  7. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 professional
       #7

    is there anyway to apply it to open and save-Dialogs?


    Brink said:
    Hello buythiscomputer, :)

    If you did all the steps in the tutorial on the first page, your folder view should be applied to all folders.

    Just to note, view settings will not be applied to libraries, This PC, and open and save as dialog boxes.
    If I can change it manually in a open-file dialog-box it will be stored somewhere. Is this "somewhere" accessible?

    If the solution requires some kind of code written in c++ or delphi or autohotkey I'm ready to code it.
    Just need the entry-point what has to be modified.

    best regards

    Stefan
      My Computer

  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 48,966
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 19640
    Thread Starter
       #8

    StefanL38 said:
    If I can change it manually in a open-file dialog-box it will be stored somewhere. Is this "somewhere" accessible?

    If the solution requires some kind of code written in c++ or delphi or autohotkey I'm ready to code it.
    Just need the entry-point what has to be modified.

    best regards

    Stefan

    Hello Stefan, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Unfortunately, it's stored in the Bags and BagMRU keys below in the registry without any easy way to determine which entry is for which window.

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 professional
       #9

    Brink said:
    Hello Stefan, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Unfortunately, it's stored in the Bags and BagMRU keys below in the registry without any easy way to determine which entry is for which window.

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
    Hi Brink,

    wooow!-! - - - that was a fast answer. Thank you very much.

    Does this mean depending on the style of the open-file /save-file-dialog different keys have to be modified?

    I want it plain simple always the same NON-grouped. I'm an almost newbee about registry. I understand the basic concept but I have almost no knowledge about details. If I code something that crawls through the whole registry searching for "Bags" and "BagMRU" and set all these values to - whatever_needed - would this do too much changes?
    (maybe this could be called "brute-forced bitbanging" bfbb ;-))

    best regards

    Stefan
      My Computer


 

Tutorial Categories

Set Default Folder View for all Folders in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums