Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Dec 2015
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Professional
       2015-12-17 #280

    Hello,

    I was repeatedly bashing my head against the wall and having no luck with any of the posted fixes to the broken start menu issue. I found, with some help, that the issue was caused by disabling the firewall service while in Audit Mode. I guess with Windows 10 (and from what I hear 2012r2) we should not be turning the firewall off by disabling the firewall service. I haven't seen anyone mention it yet so I wanted to throw that out there as a possible solution.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2013
    Bay Area
    Posts : 12,377
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
       2015-12-17 #281

    Welcome to Ten Forums razorsedge

    A Guy
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,047
    Windows 10 Pro
       2015-12-18 #282

    razorsedge said: View Post
    If you install the OS with a network connection and install windows updates in audit mode does copyprofile still break search? I've been avoiding installing any updates in audit mode because of this.
    I don't get this? Sysprep and CopyProfile only cause issues with Start and Cortana / Search when an existing Windows installation, with existing user profiles is sysprepped, but as sysprep is meant to be used in Audit Mode before any user profiles have been created, this will never happen when sysprep is done correctly.

    I have never had any issues with sysprep when it is done properly, correctly. In some earlier builds it was important to install Windows without a network connection and only connect the reference machine to network when in Audit Mode but even that is no longer necessary; Since a few builds sysprep works even when Windows is installed with network connection.

    In other words: Yes, sysprep can cause Start and Cortana not working but only on existing user accounts, users created before the sysprep was run. That's why you should only sysprep a new virgin Windows installation in Audit Mode before you have created any user accounts.

    N03xit said: View Post
    I was repeatedly bashing my head against the wall and having no luck with any of the posted fixes to the broken start menu issue. I found, with some help, that the issue was caused by disabling the firewall service while in Audit Mode. I guess with Windows 10 (and from what I hear 2012r2) we should not be turning the firewall off by disabling the firewall service. I haven't seen anyone mention it yet so I wanted to throw that out there as a possible solution.
    Read my response above regarding Start and Cortana issues.

    I have never disabled firewall in Audit Mode, yet I have never had any sysprep issues when sysprep has been done correctly, following the instructions. This applies to all Windows editions since Vista.

    Kari
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Dec 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB
       2015-12-18 #283

    Kari said: View Post
    I don't get this? Sysprep and CopyProfile only cause issues with Start and Cortana / Search when an existing Windows installation, with existing user profiles is sysprepped, but as sysprep is meant to be used in Audit Mode before any user profiles have been created, this will never happen when sysprep is done correctly.

    I have never had any issues with sysprep when it is done properly, correctly. In some earlier builds it was important to install Windows without a network connection and only connect the reference machine to network when in Audit Mode but even that is no longer necessary; Since a few builds sysprep works even when Windows is installed with network connection.

    In other words: Yes, sysprep can cause Start and Cortana not working but only on existing user accounts, users created before the sysprep was run. That's why you should only sysprep a new virgin Windows installation in Audit Mode before you have created any user accounts.


    Kari
    Thanks Kari,

    I'm using Enterprise LTSB build 10240. I'm using audit mode with only the built in administrator account. I'm not running a different build than before when I was having the problem, I was just hoping Microsoft had maybe released a CU that solved this issue. As I said I've been avoiding installing any updates while in audit mode because of this issue, but I honestly have not tried installing the updates on one of my images recently, however the build number hasn't changed.

    Perhaps 10240 is considered an old build now, but due to my environment I cannot use any of the builds that include modern apps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jan 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       2016-01-03 #284

    Hello Kari, thanks for quidance everything works perfect except one small thing.

    When booted to system there is every time (testing in vmware workstation) folder folder created as C:\Users\defaultuser0

    my question is can I safely delete that folder and can you provide some .bat file to do it like in ''Remove the link to the admin desktop in the Quick access list'' section of this quide.

    Thanks and keep good work here
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,047
    Windows 10 Pro
       2016-01-04 #285

    splico said: View Post
    Hello Kari, thanks for quidance everything works perfect except one small thing.

    When booted to system there is every time (testing in vmware workstation) folder folder created as C:\Users\defaultuser0

    my question is can I safely delete that folder and can you provide some .bat file to do it like in ''Remove the link to the admin desktop in the Quick access list'' section of this quide.

    Thanks and keep good work here
    The folder defaultuser() should disappear by itself after a few reboots. For some odd reason Windows creates it, a copy of the hidden Default profile, and then removes it later on. As the folder does nor causes no harm, I have left it there and just hidden it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jan 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       2016-01-04 #286

    Kari said: View Post
    The folder defaultuser() should disappear by itself after a few reboots. For some odd reason Windows creates it, a copy of the hidden Default profile, and then removes it later on. As the folder does nor causes no harm, I have left it there and just hidden it.
    Thanks Kari
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jan 2016
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       2016-01-09 #287

    Hello Kari!
    Windows version10 build 10586 cannotsysprep.It just runs sysprep is working.
    Wait 30 minutes still can not turn off the machine.Please help me.

    Done!! Sysprep complete..

    Thanks forthe Forum, thank you Kari!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jan 2016
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10 ENT
       2016-01-11 #288

    Just registered and wanted to add to this thread...

    First, thank you so much Kari for this wonderful guide. I'm new to Sysprep and encountered many of what's everyone here is going through.

    I've been following this guide and able to get everything I needed, but ran into an issue with Internet Explorer 11 kept crashing. Some of the sites to test to reproduce the crash are IMDb - Movies, TV and Celebrities - IMDb, Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay . Not sure what is loaded from these sites but it will eventually pop up a message at the bottom of the page "imdb.com is not responding" and a button to recover webpage. Prior to using the CopyProfile, IE works perfectly.

    I hope this is just me and not Win10 + CopyProfile
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       2016-01-20 #289

    minority said: View Post
    This problem could be language specific. I have Finnish language version (Windows 10 Pro x64).

    1. Windows login. The OneDrive icon won't even appear right after login into Windows for the first time (local nor Microsoft ID). So basically right after sysprep you create Windows account and then login into Windows - there is no OneDrive icon. Even if I try to start OneDrive from all programs it won't start - nothing happens. There should be OneDrive wizard starting where you could enter OneDrive login info etc. but nothing.

    After some testing I got it to start by manually executing OneDriveSetup.exe in user's folder
    I'm using the English version, and can confirm this same problem even with 1511. OneDriveSetup.exe helps but I haven't yet tried how it works if the users has no admin rights (ie. does it install it under the admin's profile when running as admin?)

    Edit: found this:
    Win10: Unattend.xml CopyProfile and OneDrive | David Segura

    Anyway, running the setup as a non-admin works. So possibly the same batch used to delete quickaccess automaticdestinations could be used to launch the setup on first run.

    Edit2: it works, but doesn't look "good" when the command prompt is shown and the onedrive installer is shown in the login, but I guess I can live with that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Default User Profile - Customize in Windows 10
How to Customize Default User Profile for New Accounts in Windows 10 Default User Profile is stored in a hidden folder in main profile folder Users. When a new user is created, either when installing Windows or any time later, Windows uses this...
Tutorials
Customize the Windows 10 Log-On and Log-Off Screen
how Customize the Windows 10 Log-On and Log-Off Screen in Build 10240? i like a black color! :confused:
Customization
Sysprep fails - Windows 10 build 10162
Hello Guys I'm trying to sysprep a Windows 10 Enterprise build 10162 so that i can capture, but i'm getting some errors and hope you guys have some sort of solution. I've tried removing The upgrade key in HKLM system, but that didn't help. ...
Installation and Setup
Sysprep fails fatally Windows 10 10122
I've tried to go into AUDIT mode to change the User profiles over to a different HDD on 10122. I get a fatal sysprep error. All i've used is an answer file with User profiles set to I:\Users Program Data is not moved, copyprofile not set. Only...
Installation and Setup
NCC Group to audit OpenSSL for security holes
Read more: NCC Group to audit OpenSSL for security holes | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums