Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep  

Page 55 of 68 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
  1.    01 Apr 2017 #540

    Kari said: View Post
    Yes, since build 14393 that has been possible. I'll wait until Creators Update version 1703 has been launched (April11th) and will then update the tutorial with all changes in this process.

    Here's how to do it:

    In Audit Mode, edit Start as you prefer. In PowerShell, export current Start layout to file C:\Windows\System32\MyStart.xml (file name and path my suggestion, exported XML must be accessible to all users):

    Code:
    Export-StartLayout C:\Windows\System32\MyStart.xml
    Now edit the exported XML in Notepad, add your Taskbar customizations. When done open Group Policy Editor (WIN + R, type gpedit.msc). Browse to Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar on left pane, double click Start Layout on right pane.

    Enable policy, enter C:\Windows\System32\MyStart.xml as Start Layout File, click OK to save policy.

    Kari
    Thanks for the fast answer! I'm working in a computer shop and we're installing both Windows 10 Home and Pro on our end users computers. I guess this method is not supported in the Home-version due to lack of gpedit.msc? Is there a workaround?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 15,167
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       01 Apr 2017 #541

    nugen said: View Post
    Thanks for the fast answer! I'm working in a computer shop and we're installing both Windows 10 Home and Pro on our end users computers. I guess this method is not supported in the Home-version due to lack of gpedit.msc? Is there a workaround?
    I do not know any really working workarounds for Home edition.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    03 Apr 2017 #542

    Kari said: View Post
    Yes, since build 14393 that has been possible. I'll wait until Creators Update version 1703 has been launched (April11th) and will then update the tutorial with all changes in this process.

    Here's how to do it:

    In Audit Mode, edit Start as you prefer. In PowerShell, export current Start layout to file C:\Windows\System32\MyStart.xml (file name and path my suggestion, exported XML must be accessible to all users):

    Code:
    Export-StartLayout C:\Windows\System32\MyStart.xml
    Now edit the exported XML in Notepad, add your Taskbar customizations. When done open Group Policy Editor (WIN + R, type gpedit.msc). Browse to Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar on left pane, double click Start Layout on right pane.

    Enable policy, enter C:\Windows\System32\MyStart.xml as Start Layout File, click OK to save policy.

    Kari
    When creating an answerfile one is able to modify the value "TaskbarLinks". To link to a UWP app I need to enter the AppID i.e. <Link2>AppID1</Link2>

    If I for instance what to link to the Microsoft Solitaire Collection app, how do I get the correct AppID for that app?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 15,167
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       03 Apr 2017 #543

    nugen said: View Post
    If I for instance what to link to the Microsoft Solitaire Collection app, how do I get the correct AppID for that app?
    Step 1: Pin that app to Start:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	225 
Size:	981.6 KB 
ID:	127972

    Step 2: Export Start layout to an XML file:
    Name:  image.png
Views: 3021
Size:  138.6 KB

    Step 3: Open XML in any text editor, search for your app, note the ID string:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	481.9 KB 
ID:	127974

    In this case now the AppID for Solitaire had been Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App

    Step 4: Unpin app from Start and its entry from XML if no longer needed.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    03 Apr 2017 #544

    Kari said: View Post
    Step 1: Pin that app to Start:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	225 
Size:	981.6 KB 
ID:	127972

    Step 2: Export Start layout to an XML file:
    Name:  image.png
Views: 3021
Size:  138.6 KB

    Step 3: Open XML in any text editor, search for your app, note the ID string:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	481.9 KB 
ID:	127974

    In this case now the AppID for Solitaire had been Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App

    Step 4: Unpin app from Start and its entry from XML if no longer needed.

    Kari
    Thank you!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 15,167
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       03 Apr 2017 #545

    You are welcome.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    12 Apr 2017 #546

    Kari said: View Post
    You are welcome.
    Hi again Kari. I've encountered a small problem with CopyProfile in the Creators Update.

    I am installing W10P v1703 from a Microsoft ISO in Hyper-V. At the first OOBE I enter Audit mode and downloads all updates from WIndows Update, and adds a few default icons to the desktop. Then I run the command
    Code:
    sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /reboot /unattend:D:\unattend.xml
    The unattend.xml only containd the <copyprofile>true</copyprofile> command under the pass "specialize".

    After going through the OOBE and entering the desktop most of the startmenu tiles are not updated and are have a downfacing arrow showing that it's downloading the app. But the app never shows up, for days with Internet access.

    Doing the same steps without using the /unattend switch the startmenu is fully populated directly after the OOBE.

    For some reason using CopyProfile breaks my startmenu's in the Creators Update. Doing the exact same thing in v1607 with the same unattend.xml gives me no startmenu issues.

    Would you know how to fix this?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NoStartTiles.PNG 
Views:	274 
Size:	273.2 KB 
ID:	129651
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    17 Apr 2017 #547

    I'm trying to sysprep the latest release (Creators Update, 1703) with copyprofile set to true and I'm experiencing few minor issues with Microsoft Edge. This all happens also with clean sysprep and nothing but copyprofile set to true - right out-of-the-box nothing installed and sysprepped right away in audit mode.


    1. I can't change default seach provider in Edge. It always returns with "We couldn’t set Google Search as your default in Edge browser. Try again later." It's same with other search providers too.
    2. Edge won't clear it's cache and always returns "Some data could not be cleared. Please try again later." No matter what cache checkboxes I select


    I have also tried to reset Edge but these issues are still there. It seems that sysprep with copyprofile set to true messes something up. If I install 1703 without sysprepping these issues with Edge are gone and everything works.

    Is anyone else experiencing these issues with Edge and sysprepping with copyprofile set to true?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    17 Apr 2017 #548

    minority said: View Post
    I'm trying to sysprep the latest release (Creators Update, 1703) with copyprofile set to true and I'm experiencing few minor issues with Microsoft Edge. This all happens also with clean sysprep and nothing but copyprofile set to true - right out-of-the-box nothing installed and sysprepped right away in audit mode.


    1. I can't change default seach provider in Edge. It always returns with "We couldn’t set Google Search as your default in Edge browser. Try again later." It's same with other search providers too.
    2. Edge won't clear it's cache and always returns "Some data could not be cleared. Please try again later." No matter what cache checkboxes I select


    I have also tried to reset Edge but these issues are still there. It seems that sysprep with copyprofile set to true messes something up. If I install 1703 without sysprepping these issues with Edge are gone and everything works.

    Is anyone else experiencing these issues with Edge and sysprepping with copyprofile set to true?
    I'm also having issues with CopyProfile set to True in 1703. In my case, after deploying my new image and logging in, Edge freezes on open, IE never opens, and Cortana never returns any search results. The built in Administrator account who the copied profile came from works just fine.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 3
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
       21 Apr 2017 #549

    Hi All! Just registered cause reading about same errors...
    I'm confirming these issues with Audit Mode and CopyProfile set to True in 1703. Installing clean MSDN Win10 Pro x64 1703, entering audit and just customize some tiles in Start Menu, syspreping with CopyProfile and after OOBE and first logon of local account or M$ account I've same troubles with Edge (can't clean cache or change Search Provider) and many errors in system logs for Bing.Weather (this applet won't show dynamic tile with weather for me after syspreping in that way)
    P.S. Remebered also issue with OneDrive - entering audit and syspreping with CopyProfile leads to missing it installed status from every new created account after OOBE - structure of OneDrive folders present in %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive but it won't autostarting after user logon (neither clickin' on OneDrive icon in Start do nothing...)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 55 of 68 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


Related Threads
How to Customize Default User Profile for New Accounts in Windows 10 Default User Profile is stored in a hidden folder in main profile folder Users. When a new user is created, either when installing Windows or any time later, Windows uses this...
how Customize the Windows 10 Log-On and Log-Off Screen in Build 10240? i like a black color! :confused:
Sysprep fails - Windows 10 build 10162 in Installation and Upgrade
Hello Guys I'm trying to sysprep a Windows 10 Enterprise build 10162 so that i can capture, but i'm getting some errors and hope you guys have some sort of solution. I've tried removing The upgrade key in HKLM system, but that didn't help. ...
Sysprep fails fatally Windows 10 10122 in Installation and Upgrade
I've tried to go into AUDIT mode to change the User profiles over to a different HDD on 10122. I get a fatal sysprep error. All i've used is an answer file with User profiles set to I:\Users Program Data is not moved, copyprofile not set. Only...
Read more: NCC Group to audit OpenSSL for security holes | ZDNet
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:18.
Find Us