Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10  

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 61,510
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #170

    SaggyMaggyPoo said:
    Thanks Shawn,

    I was a bit stressed when I saw what had happened, and had just stopped shouting and swearing, so didn't realise I had missed that bit. I think I might leave that as the password though - as a reminder to be more careful next time!
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 86
    windows 10 anniversary 64
       #171

    I successfully enabled built-in admin using option 5 but I still can't login to my pc... upon reboot I now see 3 accounts on the login screen all requesting passwords, i.e. my original account (admin), the new account that was created when I used netplwz to bypass the login screen, and the new "administrator" account.

    how do I use the newly created built-in account to gain access to my pc?
    Last edited by Brink; 20 Apr 2021 at 12:28. Reason: Moved to original thread
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 61,510
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #172

    aeneas1 said:
    I successfully enabled built-in admin using option 5 but I still can't login to my pc... upon reboot I now see 3 accounts on the login screen all requesting passwords, i.e. my original account (admin), the new account that was created when I used netplwz to bypass the login screen, and the new "administrator" account.

    how do I use the newly created built-in account to gain access to my pc?
    Hello,

    Unless you have set a password for the built-in "Administrator" account, it doesn't have a password by default. You should be able to just select the account to sign in to it.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 11,355
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1706
       #173

    aeneas1 said:
    I successfully enabled built-in admin using option 5 but I still can't login to my pc... upon reboot I now see 3 accounts on the login screen all requesting passwords, i.e. my original account (admin), the new account that was created when I used netplwz to bypass the login screen, and the new "administrator" account.

    how do I use the newly created built-in account to gain access to my pc?
    I have answered this in your own thread -
    aeneas1 said:
    so I'm still locked out..... successfully enabled the built-in admin using option 5 of the tutorial but now I have 3 accounts asking for passwords instead of 2, argh.... any help would be very much appreciated
    Try3 said:
    The Built-In Admin password is empty so you can log in to it without entering anything in the password input box.


    Brink - You might like to add this comment about login to the tutorial itself. I thought it was already there but cannot find it.

    Denis
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 61,510
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #174

    Try3 said:
    Brink - You might like to add this comment about login to the tutorial itself. I thought it was already there but cannot find it.

    Denis
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 86
    windows 10 anniversary 64
       #175

    Brink said:
    Hello,

    Unless you have set a password for the built-in "Administrator" account, it doesn't have a password by default. You should be able to just select the account to sign in to it.
    that's what I thought but when I try to login using the now visible built-in admin account and leave the password box empty I get a message saying incorrect password and then a password hint is shown...

    so does that mean I've used the built-in in the past and given it a password? I definitely don't remember ever doing that.....


    - - - Updated - - -

    btw, FWIW, I didn't use this in cmd:

    net user Administrator /active:yes


    Instead I just edited the regular per option 5 directions
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 61,510
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #176

    aeneas1 said:
    that's what I thought but when I try to login using the now visible built-in admin account and leave the password box empty I get a message saying incorrect password and then a password hint is shown...

    so does that mean I've used the built-in in the past and given it a password? I definitely don't remember ever doing that.....
    It sounds like you may have.

    Are you able to reset the password of any administrator account on the computer?

    Reset Password of User Account in Windows 10
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 11,355
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1706
       #177

    aeneas1 said:
    btw, FWIW, I didn't use this in cmd:
    net user Administrator /active:yes
    Instead I just edited the regular per option 5 directions
    That's fine. Option 5 enables it so there is no need for a separate command.

    I suggest you just go back to your own thread or start posting here instead but please do not do both.
    www.tenforums.com/showthread.php?t=2969&goto=newpost

    Denis
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 86
    windows 10 anniversary 64
       #178

    Brink said:
    It sounds like you may have.

    Are you able to reset the password of any administrator account on the computer?

    Reset Password of User Account in Windows 10

    • Option One: To Reset Password of your Local Account at Sign-in with Password Reset Disk
    • Option Two: To Reset Password of any Local Account in Netplwiz
    • Option Three: To Reset Password of your Microsoft Account Online at Microsoft
    • Option Four: To Reset Password of your Microsoft Account at Sign-in
    • Option Five: To Reset Password of your Local Account at Sign-in



    don't have a password reset disk
    can't login to use netplwz
    using my ms account username and password does 't work, resetting them and trying again doesn't work either
    I don't security question when selecting reset, only get instructions to insert backup password usb
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 61,510
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #179

    aeneas1 said:
    • Option One: To Reset Password of your Local Account at Sign-in with Password Reset Disk
    • Option Two: To Reset Password of any Local Account in Netplwiz
    • Option Three: To Reset Password of your Microsoft Account Online at Microsoft
    • Option Four: To Reset Password of your Microsoft Account at Sign-in
    • Option Five: To Reset Password of your Local Account at Sign-in



    don't have a password reset disk
    can't login to use netplwz
    using my ms account username and password does 't work, resetting them and trying again doesn't work either
    I don't security question when selecting reset, only get instructions to insert backup password usb
    Best to continue this in your original thread below to not take this tutorial off topic.

    Locked Out - Login Screen
      My Computers


 

Tutorial Categories

Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums