Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10  

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
  1. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,206
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21354
    Thread Starter
       #150

    katz19 said:
    I’m going to try to do BOOTREC first and see if that works. I’ll have to go to my parents place and create a recovery there and try and fix the issue that way. Would you suggest trying to do the BOOTREC first or don’t waste time with it?
    It wouldn't hurt anything to try.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 4
    Windows 10
       #151

    I FIXED IT!!!!!! So after further googling. I found a way to restore my system through the command prompt. But, the issue I was having was that my restore point is that I had to enable protection on my drive. So after finding a way to do that through the command prompt I was able to load up my restore point and badda bing badda boom! Iím back in business! Thanks for your help and patience with this Brink. Have a good one!
      My Computer

  3. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,206
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21354
    Thread Starter
       #152

    katz19 said:
    I FIXED IT!!!!!! So after further googling. I found a way to restore my system through the command prompt. But, the issue I was having was that my restore point is that I had to enable protection on my drive. So after finding a way to do that through the command prompt I was able to load up my restore point and badda bing badda boom! I’m back in business! Thanks for your help and patience with this Brink. Have a good one!
    Great news.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 2
    win 8.1, Win 10, win srv2008, win srv 2012, win srv 2017
       #153

    Thank you - option 5 literaly saved my a.. this afternoon.
    Was stuck in Windows 10 safe boot, without any local accounts only azureAD account and network in Fly mode

    Got to the dos-prompt by booting into USB-Win 10 recovery install.
      My Computer

  5. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,206
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21354
    Thread Starter
       #154

    sten2004 said:
    Thank you - option 5 literaly saved my a.. this afternoon.
    Was stuck in Windows 10 safe boot, without any local accounts only azureAD account and network in Fly mode

    Got to the dos-prompt by booting into USB-Win 10 recovery install.
    I'm glad it could help Sten, and welcome to Ten Forums.
      My Computers

  6. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 7,386
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 20H2 Build 19042.868
       #155

    Brink,

    Your introductory paragraphs starting
    administrator user
    Built-in "Administrator"
    refer to "complete access to the computer" and "full unrestricted access rights to the PC". That is not accurate. They can only access what TrustedInstaller, System allow them to access so some alternative wording would be better.

    When you revise it, you might also want to explicitly state that the Built-in Administrator cannot override the System 'user' [because some people think otherwise] and that the Built-in Administrator is the same as a user-created Admin account with UAC turned off.
    About overriding the System 'user'
    I've just tested [Version 1909] that the Built-in Administrator remains unable to get access to a folder for which only the System 'user' had access permission.
    Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10-1-trying-access-systemonly-folder.png Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10-2-denied-access-systemonly-folder.png

    Your introduction would also be a convenient place to state that the Built-in Administrator is no longer blocked from using Settings & other UWP Apps.
    Whilst logged in as the BiA, I just browsed around Settings and used Calculator & Maps.
    I think that this only became possible with Ver 1709.

    I also think you could usefully alter part of the introductory paragraph about standard users. I suggest changing the words,
    "if a standard user tries to do something that requires elevated rights, ...",
    to something like
    "if a standard user tries to do something that affects other users then Ö"
    and you might want to add something at the end of the para like
    "This task is then said to be running with 'elevated rights' or 'running as Admin'."

    You might also want to include, in the introduction, a statement that if a computer has no functioning user-created Admin accounts left, the Built-in Administrator can be enabled and the situation resolved using the procedure in
    Fix UAC prompt has greyed out or missing Yes button - TenForumsTutorials
    You might like to add the comment that that tutorial was written for the case of having no functioning Admin accounts left and that its title merely reflects the fact that this particular symptom happens to be the one that many people first notice.

    I appreciate that none of this is a high priority but these changes would be worth including when you next have any need to alter this tutorial.

    All the best,
    Denis
      My Computer

  7. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,206
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21354
    Thread Starter
       #156

    Hello Denis @Try3,

    I've updated the info at the top to help for this. Please see what you think.
      My Computers

  8. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 7,386
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 20H2 Build 19042.868
       #157

    Brink,

    I think the sentence, "An administrator account has has full control of the files, directories, services, and other resources on the local computer.", is contradicted by the two sentences following it and can usefully be deleted [because those two sentences are better - they prevent any misunderstandings about status].

    I still think it's worth explicitly stating that the BiA can use Settings & other UWP apps.
    - I had posted false statements to the contrary because I had forgotten about the Ver 1709 change and have just corrected them.
    - I've already had one highly competent regular contributor thank me for the correction because he had also forgotten.

    I still think it's worth including a note about Fix UAC prompt has greyed out or missing Yes button - TenForumsTutorials because, despite it merely being a different view of the material in this current tutorial, somebody in that predicament would probably end up trying all 5 options of this tutorial without realising that there was a straightforward way of resolving their plight.
    - I realise that I'm biased. I regard the Fix UAC prompt has greyed out or missing Yes button as one of the most well-written tutorials in the forum.

    Denis
      My Computer

  9. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,206
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21354
    Thread Starter
       #158

    Try3 said:
    I think the sentence, "An administrator account has has full control of the files, directories, services, and other resources on the local computer.", is contradicted by the two sentences following it and can usefully be deleted [because those two sentences are better - they prevent any misunderstandings about status].
    It's a direct quote from the Microsoft article below.

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...trator-account

    Try3 said:
    I still think it's worth explicitly stating that the BiA can use Settings & other UWP apps.
    - I had posted false statements to the contrary because I had forgotten about the Ver 1709 change and have just corrected them.
    - I've already had one highly competent regular contributor thank me for the correction because he had also forgotten.
    Added as a note to help.

    Try3 said:
    I still think it's worth including a note about Fix UAC prompt has greyed out or missing Yes button - TenForumsTutorials because, despite it merely being a different view of the material in this current tutorial, somebody in that predicament would probably end up trying all 5 options of this tutorial without realising that there was a straightforward way of resolving their plight.
    - I realise that I'm biased. I regard the Fix UAC prompt has greyed out or missing Yes button as one of the most well-written tutorials in the forum.
    This is more for the UAC tutorial below. I have just added a tip at the top of it to help.

    Change User Account Control (UAC) Settings in Windows 10
      My Computers

  10. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 7,386
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 20H2 Build 19042.868
       #159

    Brink said:
    It's a direct quote from the Microsoft article below.

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...trator-account
    Yes but their explanation misleads people such as
    helpfixcomputer said:
    making a 'user' an 'admin' does not make it fully admin
    into thinking that an Admin account has complete access to everything.

    Denis
      My Computer


 
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:52.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums