Windows 10: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File  

Page 6 of 85 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 2,036
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       23 Oct 2014 #50

    Superfly said: View Post
    Thanx Kari, togundcp... just wanna mention credit also goes to the original scripter abbodi1406 at MDL.

    BTW, Has someone tried the install.esd swap with install.wim of the 9841 iso to produce similar results?
    @Superfly
    I've already tried and it did not work. However, If you download:
    WinReducer Wim Converter - WinReducer
    And convert the esd file into a wim file, overwrite the wim file in 9841 ISO then it will work. During installation it will say it is for Win 10 TP 9841 but the final result will be: 9860

    NOTE: if you want to do it this way, make sure to make a copy of the esd file first because the conversion will replace the esd file with a wim file.

    Cheers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    24 Oct 2014 #51

    Oh right, thanx for confirming...seems this install.esd is a little different from previous then.

    PS: Just playing devil's advocate... but there is a ESD->WIM script by the same author in case you are interested.

    ESD <> WIM Conversion batch
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 5,151
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.483
       24 Oct 2014 #52

    Ran into a copuple problems trying to follow your 9860 prep tutorial.

    First, there is no C:\$Windows.~BT folder. The other two were there.

    No Upgrade key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup and no I could not delete the Upgrade subkey.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DelW10Setup.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	7417

    Also, there was a lot of other stuff under the upgrade subkey.

    That's as far as I got.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 12,396
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       24 Oct 2014 #53

    Could you explain a bit more @Ztruker.

    • What's the start situation? Windows 10 Technical Preview upgraded from Windows 8.1? Clean install of Windows 10 Build 9841?
    • Did you have Show hidden items enabled? C:\$Windows.~BT is a hidden folder.
    • Have you already downloaded the Build 9860 upgrade?


    EDIT

    @Ztruker: Reading your post here I think your issue is related to user rights and / or Group Policy settings. Please tell exactly what kind of install / setup you have (upgrade, clean, which build etc.), what kind and type of user account you are using and so on.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    24 Oct 2014 #54

    I'm sorry, but I have a new problem.

    I got the files in the places you write in the tutorial, and using the downloaded program to change ESD to an bootable ISO works fine. But .... when trying to install from this new .ISO I ran into missing files in the install process!! The original downloaded file from Microsoft is 4.100.497.408 bytes, and the ISO-file created is 3.981.209.600 bytes. As I'm from Denmark, I choose Danish keyboard layout and Danish currency aso in the install process. Maybe something is missing, when selecting something else than English?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 4,567
    Win 10 Pro x64
       24 Oct 2014 #55

    Burgurne said: View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have a new problem.

    I got the files in the places you write in the tutorial, and using the downloaded program to change ESD to an bootable ISO works fine. But .... when trying to install from this new .ISO I ran into missing files in the install process!! The original downloaded file from Microsoft is 4.100.497.408 bytes, and the ISO-file created is 3.981.209.600 bytes. As I'm from Denmark, I choose Danish keyboard layout and Danish currency aso in the install process. Maybe something is missing, when selecting something else than English?


    If you are using USB, try burning the ISO to DVD (use imgburn program). I had the same problem. Although I did not try Re-making the USB installer, the DVD installer worked well in just one go. It's probably just a corrupted USB but you can try again. If you want to try burning the ISO, be sure to do it at low speed (x8) to avoid errors.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 12,396
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       24 Oct 2014 #56

    Burgurne said: View Post
    The original downloaded file from Microsoft is 4.100.497.408 bytes, and the ISO-file created is 3.981.209.600 bytes.
    The size of the ISO is correct (EN-US x64 ISO) but I don't understand that "original downloaded file" size, it's simply too big. Which file do you mean (exact file name and extension)?

    Burgurne said: View Post
    As I'm from Denmark, I choose Danish keyboard layout and Danish currency aso in the install process. Maybe something is missing, when selecting something else than English?
    Give me 20 minutes, I'll install using the same ISO and selecting Danish keyboard and formats (jeg både taler og forstår dansk, det vil ikke være noget problem ). I cannot believe this could be an issue but I want to test it to be sure.

    Back in 20 minutes!

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 5,151
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.483
       24 Oct 2014 #57

    Kari said: View Post
    Could you explain a bit more @Ztruker.

    • What's the start situation? Windows 10 Technical Preview upgraded from Windows 8.1? Clean install of Windows 10 Build 9841?
    • Did you have Show hidden items enabled? C:\$Windows.~BT is a hidden folder.
    • Have you already downloaded the Build 9860 upgrade?


    EDIT

    @Ztruker: Reading your post here I think your issue is related to user rights and / or Group Policy settings. Please tell exactly what kind of install / setup you have (upgrade, clean, which build etc.), what kind and type of user account you are using and so on.
    This is a Windows 10 TP build 9841 VM running under Oracle VB. 2GB RAM, 50GB drive.
    Clean install of Windows 10 TP X64.
    Using local account.
    All updates applied.
    Tried to update to build 9860 and it failed, no idea why as there were no clues left other than this message:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W10UpdateFail.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	7424

    Cleaned up everything I could following the directions in this thread then started the update again.
    I did not have to do the download again, just started the install. This time it worked perfectly.

    Checked C:\RecoveryImage and it has install.esd so getting rid of the directories and marker file worked for me and I got the 9860 install.esd file. I will next create a ISO to save.

    I wonder how much of what you described has to be deleted to make this work? Would getting rid of just C:\RecoveryImage be enough? I should have tried it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 12,396
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       24 Oct 2014 #58

    Ztruker said: View Post
    This is a Windows 10 TP build 9841 VM running under Oracle VB. 2GB RAM, 50GB drive.
    Clean install of Windows 10 TP X64.
    Using local account.
    All updates applied.
    Tried to update to build 9860 and it failed, no idea why as there were no clues left other than this message:
    ...

    ...
    I wonder how much of what you described has to be deleted to make this work? Would getting rid of just C:\RecoveryImage be enough? I should have tried it.
    OK. You failed to upgrade a cleanly installed Win10, decided to follow instructions for Win10 upgraded from 8.1 and wondered why it did not work?

    I understand it worked now? If so, everything is OK. The marker file is important if you want to upgrade to next build keeping the ESD or WIM file from previous build; other than that it has no purpose. I have deleted it from each Win10 9860 already now, to be sure that when the next build is released the old ESD will be replaced with a new one.

    Your original upgrade error code points to a third party AV, firewall or such disabling upgrade process.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 12,396
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       24 Oct 2014 #59

    badrobot said: View Post
    Burgurne said: View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have a new problem.

    I got the files in the places you write in the tutorial, and using the downloaded program to change ESD to an bootable ISO works fine. But .... when trying to install from this new .ISO I ran into missing files in the install process!! The original downloaded file from Microsoft is 4.100.497.408 bytes, and the ISO-file created is 3.981.209.600 bytes. As I'm from Denmark, I choose Danish keyboard layout and Danish currency aso in the install process. Maybe something is missing, when selecting something else than English?


    If you are using USB, try burning the ISO to DVD (use imgburn program). I had the same problem. Although I did not try Re-making the USB installer, the DVD installer worked well in just one go. It's probably just a corrupted USB but you can try again. If you want to try burning the ISO, be sure to do it at low speed (x8) to avoid errors.
    +1.

    To be sure I tested now with 9860 x64 EN-US ISO created as told in this tutorial, burned to USB, selecting formats: Denmark, keyboard: Danish. No issues.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 6 of 85 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Bootable File Manager? in General Support
Hello, is there any bootable file manager out there because I want to do the following things before installing Windows. 1. Format my C:\ drive with Windows 7.1 2. Move contents from my F:\ drive to C:\ 3. Install Windows 10 of F:\ This is...
How to Create a System Information File in Windows 10 MSINFO contains in depth pertinent information about your system and is often used by Seven Forums members when helping users solve issues, especially during debugging BSOD crash...
Here's an alternative in addition to Kari's Tutorial: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Windows 10 Forums https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ8SCzhbycA NOTE: It is better to create an ISO contaning install.wim so if you...
I just wondered if anyone had had any issues creating a bootable USB using the Download Tool with the 9926 .iso? I've tried multiple times now but it just gets stuck at 94% and I end up having to close the program down via Task Manager. Someone I...
Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33.
Find Us