ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File  

Page 40 of 87 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
  1. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,440
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #390

    This video needs to and will be remade; at the moment it's done using an older version of the tool, on an earlier build of Windows 10. However, although both Windows and this tool have changed the process itself has remained the same. I thought it might help some of you guys, so I will embed it here.



    Video shows how you can grab the ESD file even before the upgrade process starts. This is practical if you have no intention to wait through the whole upgrade process but want instead just make the ISO for a clean install.

    If you do want to let Windows Update to upgrade your Windows 10 and only create the ISO for later use and Windows maintenance, use this link to see the video starting at the point where you already have secured the ESD file (at 6 minutes 15 seconds): ESD to ISO - YouTube

    Kari
      My Computer

  2. simrick's Avatar
    Posts : 16,137
    W10Prox64
       #391

    Thanks @Kari!
      My Computer

  3. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,665
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #392

    Kari said:
    This video needs to and will be remade; at the moment it's done using an older version of the tool, on an earlier build of Windows 10. However, although both Windows and this tool have changed the process itself has remained the same. I thought it might help some of you guys, so I will embed it here.



    Video shows how you can grab the ESD file even before the upgrade process starts. This is practical if you have no intention to wait through the whole upgrade process but want instead just make the ISO for a clean install.

    If you do want to let Windows Update to upgrade your Windows 10 and only create the ISO for later use and Windows maintenance, use this link to see the video starting at the point where you already have secured the ESD file (at 6 minutes 15 seconds): ESD to ISO - YouTube

    Kari
    Thanks, Kari. You taught me well.... even if I don't really need it, I'm conditioned to snagging the install.esd before it gets away! Good Boy Scout stuff, I guess...
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 305
    Windows 10
       #393

    I found this script inserted in the Deployment Research > Research
    page but I can not understand why the author creates, first, an empty volume image in the boot.wim and install.wim files, and then they are deleted. Why?

    Thanks

    Bye
      My Computer

  5. Superfly's Avatar
    Posts : 3,337
       #394

    balubeto said:
    I found this script inserted in the Deployment Research > Research
    page but I can not understand why the author creates, first, an empty volume image in the boot.wim and install.wim files, and then they are deleted. Why?

    Thanks

    Bye
    It's a bit technical, but I'll try to explain as simply as possible.

    Dism needs to know which image to work with inside the file specified - To do this it needs a handle or memory pointer - the only way to allocate that is with the Capture-Image command.

    The Export-image command then uses that memory allocation to find the image.
    It's thus just due to a deficiency in the Dism API.
    The Wim-lib API is a better solution in that it acquires the handle automatically prior to the export function.

      My Computer


  6. Posts : 305
    Windows 10
       #395

    Superfly said:
    It's a bit technical, but I'll try to explain as simply as possible.

    Dism needs to know which image to work with inside the file specified - To do this it needs a handle or memory pointer - the only way to allocate that is with the Capture-Image command.

    The Export-image command then uses that memory allocation to find the image.
    It's thus just due to a deficiency in the Dism API.
    The Wim-lib API is a better solution in that it acquires the handle automatically prior to the export function.

    I'm sorry but if I were writing only:


    Code:
    dism.exe /Export-image /SourceImageFile:$ESDFile /SourceIndex:2 /DestinationImageFile:$ISOMediaFolder\sources\boot.wim /Compress:Recovery /Bootable
    dism.exe /Export-image /SourceImageFile:$ESDFile /SourceIndex:4 /DestinationImageFile:$ISOMediaFolder\sources\install.wim /Compress:Recovery

    DISM would not work the boot.wim and install.wim files? Why?

    Thanks

    Bye
      My Computer

  7. Superfly's Avatar
    Posts : 3,337
       #396

    balubeto said:
    I'm sorry but if I were writing only:


    Code:
    dism.exe /Export-image /SourceImageFile:$ESDFile /SourceIndex:2 /DestinationImageFile:$ISOMediaFolder\sources\boot.wim /Compress:Recovery /Bootable
    dism.exe /Export-image /SourceImageFile:$ESDFile /SourceIndex:4 /DestinationImageFile:$ISOMediaFolder\sources\install.wim /Compress:Recovery

    DISM would not work the boot.wim and install.wim files? Why?

    Thanks

    Bye
    It simply does not know where to look.

    I would strongly advise using wimlib-imagex instead - it has better ESD compatibility as well as faster compression/decompression routines - it's also Linux compatible BTW.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 305
    Windows 10
       #397

    Superfly said:
    It simply does not know where to look.

    I would strongly advise using wimlib-imagex instead - it has better ESD compatibility as well as faster compression/decompression routines - it's also Linux compatible BTW.
    I think I understand:


    The commands above must have an existing .wim file to work. Right?

    Thanks

    Bye
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 305
    Windows 10
       #398

    In the script of the Deployment Research > Research
    link, the boot.wim file will have two bootable volume images:


    Code:
    # Export base Windows PE to empty boot.wim file (creating a second index)
    dism.exe /Export-image /SourceImageFile:$ESDFile /SourceIndex:2 /DestinationImageFile:$ISOMediaFolder\sources\boot.wim /Compress:Recovery /Bootable
    
    
    # Export Windows PE with Setup to boot.wim file
    dism.exe /Export-image /SourceImageFile:$ESDFile /SourceIndex:3 /DestinationImageFile:$ISOMediaFolder\sources\boot.wim /Compress:Recovery /Bootable

    Why?


    What is the difference between this volume images?


    Thanks


    Bye
      My Computer

  10. Superfly's Avatar
    Posts : 3,337
       #399

    balubeto said:
    In the script of the Deployment Research > Research
    link, the boot.wim file will have two bootable volume images:


    Code:
    # Export base Windows PE to empty boot.wim file (creating a second index)
    dism.exe /Export-image /SourceImageFile:$ESDFile /SourceIndex:2 /DestinationImageFile:$ISOMediaFolder\sources\boot.wim /Compress:Recovery /Bootable
    
    
    # Export Windows PE with Setup to boot.wim file
    dism.exe /Export-image /SourceImageFile:$ESDFile /SourceIndex:3 /DestinationImageFile:$ISOMediaFolder\sources\boot.wim /Compress:Recovery /Bootable

    Why?


    What is the difference between this volume images?


    Thanks


    Bye
    The first image is the decompression of the setup files ( setup.exe etc), the second the bootable image.
      My Computer


 
Page 40 of 87 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Tutorial Categories

ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:58.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums