Add or Remove Default New Context Menu Items in Windows 10  

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. phrab's Avatar
    Posts : 876
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 21H2
       #40

    Brink said:
    Hello phrab,

    It doesn't change the icon for me either for .rtf files even when just deleting the key and value.

    File Extension Icon - Change Default Icon - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Thanks for your response. Funny, when I "changed" the path of the default icon, the icon did change, just not to what I wanted.

    It changed to the default icon for notepad.exe Add or Remove Default New Context Menu Items in Windows 10-image.png Actually, I think it's better than the white icon I had.
      My Computers

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 60,487
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #41

      My Computers

  3. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 6,638
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #42

    phrab said:
    "C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Icons\WORDPAD.EXE, 1.ico"
    Try the following:

    Code:
    (REG ADD "HKCR\.rtf\ShellNew" /V "IconPath" /T REG_SZ /D "C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Icons\WORDPAD.EXE, 1.ico" /F)

    I have used the above method in my script: How to Add Create Elevated Shortcut to New Context Menu in Windows 10
      My Computer

  4. phrab's Avatar
    Posts : 876
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 21H2
       #43

    Matthew Wai said:
    Try the following:

    Code:
    (REG ADD "HKCR\.rtf\ShellNew" /V "IconPath" /T REG_SZ /D "C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Icons\WORDPAD.EXE, 1.ico" /F)

    I have used the above method in my script: How to Add Create Elevated Shortcut to New Context Menu in Windows 10
    Thank you for your suggestion. For some reason, I didn't see this post before...must have gotten distracted. However, I don't know how to use that line of code.

    Is it a line I put in the registry? A bat file? Or something else?

    Edited: Sorry. I read your link, so I made your code into a bat file & ran it as administrator. It did add the key to the registry. However, even after a reboot, the icon didn't change. Any other ideas?

    Thank you again.
    Last edited by phrab; 20 Oct 2020 at 12:03.
      My Computers

  5. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 6,638
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #44

    @phrab, are you referring to the icon shown on the context menu like the one below?
    Add or Remove Default New Context Menu Items in Windows 10-context-menu.jpg

    I ran the following command:

    (REG ADD "HKCR\.rtf\ShellNew" /V "IconPath" /T REG_SZ /D "D:\Power-button.ico" /F)

    Now, the icon for Rich Text Document has become a red power button as shown above. No reboot is needed.

    When I run Reg QUERY "HKCR\.rtf\ShellNew", I will get the following output:
    Code:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rtf\ShellNew
        Data    REG_SZ    {\rtf1}
        ItemName    REG_EXPAND_SZ    @%ProgramFiles%\Windows NT\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE,-213
        IconPath    REG_SZ    D:\Power-button.ico

    When I run Reg QUERY "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtffile\DefaultIcon", I will get the following output:
    Code:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtffile\DefaultIcon
        (Default)    REG_EXPAND_SZ    "%ProgramFiles%\Windows NT\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE",1
      My Computer

  6. phrab's Avatar
    Posts : 876
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 21H2
       #45

    Matthew Wai said:
    @phrab, are you referring to the icon shown on the context menu like the one below?
    Add or Remove Default New Context Menu Items in Windows 10-context-menu.jpg

    I ran the following command:

    (REG ADD "HKCR\.rtf\ShellNew" /V "IconPath" /T REG_SZ /D "D:\Power-button.ico" /F)

    Now, the icon for Rich Text Document has become a red power button as shown above. No reboot is needed.

    When I run Reg QUERY "HKCR\.rtf\ShellNew", I will get the following output:
    Code:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rtf\ShellNew
        Data    REG_SZ    {\rtf1}
        ItemName    REG_EXPAND_SZ    @%ProgramFiles%\Windows NT\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE,-213
        IconPath    REG_SZ    D:\Power-button.ico

    When I run Reg QUERY "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtffile\DefaultIcon", I will get the following output:
    Code:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtffile\DefaultIcon
        (Default)    REG_EXPAND_SZ    "%ProgramFiles%\Windows NT\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE",1
    Hi Matthew:
    No, I was referring to the icon of an .rtf file. But the icon on both my .rtf files & the one on the context menu are the same:
    This is what Icurrently have for a file: Add or Remove Default New Context Menu Items in Windows 10-image.png

    This is what I currently have for a context menu: Add or Remove Default New Context Menu Items in Windows 10-image.png

    In each case, the icon is the same. I can't seem to change it to this: ​Add or Remove Default New Context Menu Items in Windows 10-image.png
      My Computers

  7. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 6,638
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #46

    phrab said:
    I was referring to the icon of an .rtf file.
    It is impossible for me to change the default RTF file icon:

    I ran the following line of command via Windows PowerShell (Admin). The icon path has been changed successfully, but the displayed icon remains unchanged. The icon does not depend on "HKCR\rtffile\DefaultIcon".

    (REG ADD "HKCR\rtffile\DefaultIcon" /T REG_EXPAND_SZ /D "D:\Power-button.ico" /F)

    It applies only to the jump list but not to File Explorer.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 9
    Windows 11 Pro Dev Insider Preview
       #47

    I tried the "Restore all default items" registry thing but i now have two shortcut items in the new section, It also removed the folder entry. Is there any way of fixing this?Add or Remove Default New Context Menu Items in Windows 10-iuf8ksqbmf.png



    Edit: Never mind, I fixed it by downloading the "Restore New Folder entry" registry file, i'm so stupid.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 454
    Win7 Pro X64, Win10 Pro x640
       #48

    @Matthew Wai

    I cannot get contacts to appear on the new context menu. The correct registry entries are present in HKCR\.contact\ShellNew Keys.

    I used the command you suggested, (REG ADD "HKCR\Data" /T REG_SZ /D "Contact" /F) and merged the registry file presenta at the beginning of the tutorial. No luck.
    I can get other file extensions to add, just not contact. Do I include the parenthses between the command?

    I run Win10 x64 21H1 with Office 365 if that makes a difference. Does Windows block this entry for some reason? Any suggestions to enable contacts again?

    Thanks!
      My Computer

  10. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 6,638
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #49

    bamajon1974 said:
    I used the command you suggested, (REG ADD "HKCR\Data" /T REG_SZ /D "Contact" /F) and merged the registry file presenta at the beginning of the tutorial. No luck.
    (1) Run the following command to back up the current ".contact" key:

    Reg export "HKCR\.contact" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\[.contact].reg"

    If you have relocated your desktop, change the \Desktop\ folder accordingly.

    (2) Run the following command to add a new key:

    (REG Add "HKCR\bamajon1974" /T REG_SZ /D "Contact" /F)

    (3) Run the following command to set bamajon1974 as the default value data:

    (REG Add "HKCR\.contact" /T REG_SZ /D "bamajon1974" /F)

    (4) The item "Contact" will appear on the "New" context menu:

    Add or Remove Default New Context Menu Items in Windows 10-new-contact.jpg
      My Computer


 

Tutorial Categories

Add or Remove Default New Context Menu Items in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums