Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

  1. Joined : Nov 2013
    Posts : 211
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       2016-09-29 #260

    Can you create an installation USB flash drive with both Legacy BIOS and UEFI on the same device? Or do you have to make Two separate ones?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Sep 2015
    .ie
    Posts : 18
    Windows 10 x64
       2016-09-29 #261

    Dual BIOS/UEFI installation drives are disabled by default in Rufus, to prevent people realizing that they got through an install in BIOS mode when they wanted UEFI mode.

    However, if you really want, you can use the Alt-E shortcut in Rufus, to enable dual BIOS+UEFI mode. For more, please see the FAQ.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Pro
       2016-09-29 #262

    Thanks for all the information. One of the major lessons learned here is to have PATIENCE while doing the upgrade. The time to complete the upgrade will be dependent on the computer and number of applications installed.

    Here are some thoughts and observations not in any order.

    1. Before making the decision to do the Anniversary Update (Version 1607), ensure that NONE of your applications running on the current version will not have issues. One example is Symantec Endpoint Protection. Check if any one else has had similar issues.

    2. Use task scheduler to make Restore Points automatically once a week. Here s spot to see how: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/64869-restore-point-automatically-create-schedule-windows-10-a.html

    3. Do a system backup to a USB device once you are comfortable that the new OS is running correctly.

    4. USB with legacy BIOS has worked for me. Just make sure that the boot sequence on your BIOS is set. Check out how here: USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10

    5. If the install hangs at 32% got to this URL. http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2...uck-error.html. This happened to me. Obviously this has happened to more than one person.

    6. Remove the Windows 10 Bloatware. If you are a PowerScript user try this URL Apps - Uninstall in Windows 10

    7. Use TenForums for other questions that you might have.
    Last edited by Brink; 2016-09-29 at 13:44. Reason: link
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Nov 2013
    Posts : 211
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       2016-09-29 #263

    Akeo said: View Post
    Dual BIOS/UEFI installation drives are disabled by default in Rufus, to prevent people realizing that they got through an install in BIOS mode when they wanted UEFI mode.

    However, if you really want, you can use the Alt-E shortcut in Rufus, to enable dual BIOS+UEFI mode. For more, please see the FAQ.
    Thanks Akeo. How can you use the MCT to do this if you all ready have downloaded the ISO file?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,803
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       2016-09-29 #264

    Clint said: View Post
    Thanks Akeo. How can you use the MCT to do this if you all ready have downloaded the ISO file?
    Hi Clint. This tutorial should tell you what you need to know about the Media Creation Tool.

    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

    Although I've created my own ISOs using Rufus and downloaded the MCT, I've never thought about a dual BIOS/UEFI on the same device. So, not knowing much about what you want to do, I'll settle for giving you the above link, which I'm pretty sure will work.

    I believe the MCT should "look at your system" and take what it thinks is the best route for installing Windows 10 for you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Nov 2013
    Posts : 211
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       2016-09-29 #265

    Wynona said: View Post
    Hi Clint. This tutorial should tell you what you need to know about the Media Creation Tool.

    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

    Although I've created my own ISOs using Rufus and downloaded the MCT, I've never thought about a dual BIOS/UEFI on the same device. So, not knowing much about what you want to do, I'll settle for giving you the above link, which I'm pretty sure will work.

    I believe the MCT should "look at your system" and take what it thinks is the best route for installing Windows 10 for you.
    Thanks for the reply Wynona. I have 2 PCs. One with UEFI and one with Legacy BIOS. I all ready have the IOS file. I want to create a USB With the MCT with out downloading the IOS file again. The link you posted says it will download the file again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,803
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       2016-09-29 #266

    Clint said: View Post
    Thanks for the reply Wynona. I have 2 PCs. One with UEFI and one with Legacy BIOS. I all ready have the IOS file. I want to create a USB With the MCT with out downloading the IOS file again. The link you posted says it will download the file again.
    Since you have the ISO, you don't need the MCT. Go and get this tutorial: USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. Click on Option 2 and you'll be shown how to create a USB for both Legacy and UEFI.

    A lot of folks think the ISO can only be used once, but like any other app, it can be used over and over. Just follow the yellow brick road in the tutorial and you will wind up with a USB for Legacy and a USB for UEFI. BTW, you'll need 8GB USB sticks instead of 4GB ones.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Nov 2013
    Posts : 211
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       2016-09-29 #267

    Wynona said: View Post
    Since you have the ISO, you don't need the MCT. Go and get this tutorial: USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. Click on Option 2 and you'll be shown how to create a USB for both Legacy and UEFI.

    A lot of folks think the ISO can only be used once, but like any other app, it can be used over and over. Just follow the yellow brick road in the tutorial and you will wind up with a USB for Legacy and a USB for UEFI. BTW, you'll need 8GB USB sticks instead of 4GB ones.
    Wynona, the way I read option 2 step-6 is UEFI and step 7 is Legacy BIOS. It takes two separate 4 gig USBs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,803
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       2016-09-29 #268

    Clint said: View Post
    Wynona, the way I read option 2 step-6 is UEFI and step 7 is Legacy BIOS. It takes two separate 4 gig USBs.
    I realize it says 4 gig; however, I've never been able to get a 4 gig USB to work; had to use 8 gig. And yes, you'd create them separately.

    Or, you can use Akeo's method to create them together; however, a 4 gig USB stick would most certainly be too small. BTW, Akeo is the author of Rufus and knows what he's talking about.

    Quoting Akeo:
    Dual BIOS/UEFI installation drives are disabled by default in Rufus, to prevent people realizing that they got through an install in BIOS mode when they wanted UEFI mode.

    However, if you really want, you can use the Alt-E shortcut in Rufus, to enable dual BIOS+UEFI mode. For more, please see the FAQ.
    I reiterate: click on the red font above for more. And the Rufus site is: Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Nov 2013
    Posts : 211
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       2016-10-02 #269

    Akeo said: View Post
    Dual BIOS/UEFI installation drives are disabled by default in Rufus, to prevent people realizing that they got through an install in BIOS mode when they wanted UEFI mode.

    However, if you really want, you can use the Alt-E shortcut in Rufus, to enable dual BIOS+UEFI mode. For more, please see the FAQ.
    I used Rufus to create a dual boot windows 10 install 8 Gig flash drive. I used the secret alt+E shortcut. Anyone know what happened?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rufus.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	104220
    Last edited by Clint; 2016-10-03 at 06:38.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Password Reset Disk - Create on USB Flash Drive in Windows 10
How to Create a Password Reset Disk on USB Flash Drive in Windows 10 If you forget your Windows password, you can use a password reset disk to create a new one. It is recommend that you create a password reset disk when you create a password for...
Tutorials
Recovery Drive - Create in Windows 10
How to Create a USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10 If you run into problems with your PC, a USB recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and fix those problems, even if Windows won't start. A recovery drive is a USB version of a system repair...
Tutorials
Solved Make USB Flash Drive
I was going to make a USB Flash Drive to install windows 10 as described in tutorial by Brink. But I find that ISO has been removed?? Can I still make Flash Drive / How?:
Installation and Setup
Windows 10 - Setup and Run on USB Flash Drive
How to Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive This tutorial will show you how to manually setup Windows 10 To Go from any Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 system and run Windows 10 from a USB flash drive. The same procedure can be applied for...
Tutorials
Windows 10 can be pre-ordered from Amazon on USB Flash Drive
If I pre-order Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive from Amazon and it arrives on the shipping date, will the Microsoft branded flash drive be write protected to prevent erasing the original installation files preinstalled by Microsoft?
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:16.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums