Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10  

  1. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 13,365
    Windows 10 Pro
       #510

    sportsfan148 said:
    Is it sufficient to just wipe this flash drive by performing a FAT32 format on it using file explorer so that the drive is empty rather than going through all the Diskpart commands again to prepare the drive? If so, after formatting the flash drive I could simply mount the ISO and copy the files onto the flash drive.
    I am just wondering if the Media Creation Tool having created bootable media on the drive before could have done something to the USB flash drive at that time meaning that it has to be cleaned and prepared with Diskpart again?
    @sportsfan148,

    The very simple answer to your question is that yes, it is completely sufficient to do a FAT32 format on it using file explorer and mounting the ISO file and copying the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the flash drive. It really is that simple.
      My Computer

  2. sportsfan148's Avatar
    Posts : 879
    Windows 10 Home 1909
       #511

    NavyLCDR said:
    @sportsfan148,

    The very simple answer to your question is that yes, it is completely sufficient to do a FAT32 format on it using file explorer and mounting the ISO file and copying the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the flash drive. It really is that simple.
    Thanks very much for your quick reply and for clearing that up for me. I was advised by Cerberus and Chappie on here a couple of years ago that it really is that simple on a UEFI boot PC. The exact instructions given to me then were :-

    1) format flash drive as fat32
    2) mount iso file as a drive
    3) copy all files from iso to USB flash drive using file explorer
    and that's it...done!!
    ...I just wanted to verify that these instructions still applied even though the USB flash drive had recently been used by the Media Creation Tool to create a Windows 10 bootable flash drive
      My Computer

  3. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 13,365
    Windows 10 Pro
       #512

    sportsfan148 said:
    Thanks very much for your quick reply and for clearing that up for me. I was advised by Cerberus and Chappie on here a couple of years ago that it really is that simple on a UEFI boot PC. The exact instructions given to me then were :-

    1) format flash drive as fat32
    2) mount iso file as a drive
    3) copy all files from iso to USB flash drive using file explorer
    and that's it...done!!
    ...I just wanted to verify that these instructions still applied even though the USB flash drive had recently been used by the Media Creation Tool to create a Windows 10 bootable flash drive
    And there is only one step more to make it bootable in legacy BIOS: make sure the partition on the flash drive is marked as active.

    A lot of members want to make this way more complicated than it needs to be.
      My Computer

  4. sportsfan148's Avatar
    Posts : 879
    Windows 10 Home 1909
       #513

    NavyLCDR said:
    And there is only one step more to make it bootable in legacy BIOS: make sure the partition on the flash drive is marked as active.

    A lot of members want to make this way more complicated than it needs to be.
    If memory serves me right Navy (sorry I don't know your real name) it was you who put together Option 4 for the tutorial. Many Thanks for that...it was much appreciated
      My Computer

  5. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 2,375
    Windows 10 Home 1903
       #514

    sportsfan148 said:
    Navy (sorry I don't know your real name) it was you who put together Option 4 for the tutorial.
    Under option 4, the first line says the following:

    Reference: Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive | Microsoft Docs

      My Computer

  6. throkr's Avatar
    Posts : 51
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #515

    Hi,
    I'm also a long time Rufus user but, a few days ago, I discovered an amazing piece of (portable) software: Ventoy.
    Very easy to use, it works really well (the development started early April this year and now it has his first final version).
    Big advantage: you can store (a lot of) different ISOs on the same USB Flash Drive (depending on it's capacity) as there is no need to unpack them; I even added a MacriumRescue.iso (as well as Win10 2004 - 20H1 ISOs) ...

    It's definitely worth a look (and maybe @Brink could add it to this tutorial; just a suggestion ... ).
    All infos and documentation can be found here .

    I just wanted to share this, so thanks for reading !
      My Computer

  7. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 9,281
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #516

    throkr said:
    Hi,
    I'm also a long time Rufus user but, a few days ago, I discovered an amazing piece of (portable) software: Ventoy.
    Very easy to use, it works really well (the development started early April this year and now it has his first final version).
    Big advantage: you can store (a lot of) different ISO's on the same USB Flash Drive (depending on it's capacity) as there is no need to unpack them; I even added a MacriumRescue.iso ...

    It's definitely worth a look (and maybe @Brink could add it to this tutorial; just a suggestion ... ).
    All infos and documentation can be found here .

    I just wanted to share this, so thanks for reading !
    Hi there
    Thanks for the info but there's some fixing that the software needs to do --- some iso's save a HYBRID type of boot (for both MBR and UEFI) which needs specific versions of isolinux to be downloaded -- this is why for some iso's when using RUFUS you get a prompt before creating a bootable USB drive as to whether the isolinux version for the particular iso being imaged should be loaded -- for example try and create a bootable iso of a FEDORA live distro using RUFUS.

    For 100% pure Windows / Windows PE / Macrium type of things it's fine -- but as always with software note the limitations.

    One method that always works - at least for single images is to use DD if=<input iso file> of=/dev/sdxx bs=64M status=progress.

    For Multi isos

    If you already have created partitions on the USB device then simply DD the relevent iso file to the appropriate partition.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 49,780
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 20161
    Thread Starter
       #517

    Media Creation Tool (MCT) has now been updated for the Windows 10 May 2020 version 2004.

    Installs Windows 10 version 2004 build 19041.264.

    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10-19041.264.png
      My Computers

  9. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 25,139
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #518

    Hi, does the issue of iso files with an install.wim >4Gb need consideration?

    Raised here:
    Can not go back to 1909

    post #3

    Thanks
      My Computers

  10. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 49,780
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 20161
    Thread Starter
       #519

    dalchina said:
    Hi, does the issue of iso files with an install.wim >4Gb need consideration?

    Raised here:
    Can not go back to 1909

    post #3

    Thanks
    I wouldn't think so if you used something like Rufus (option 2) to create the USB.
      My Computers


 

Tutorial Categories

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums