Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10  

Page 44 of 62 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
  1. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,085
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #430

    I think the option "BIOS or UEFI" will create a device bootable in either BIOS or UEFI, while the other option will not.
      My Computer

  2. inwell's Avatar
    Posts : 92
    Win10 Pro
       #431

    Matthew Wai said:
    I think the option "BIOS or UEFI" will create a device bootable in either BIOS or UEFI, while the other option will not.
    Yeh, but looking at the image we can say that both the systems will make the target disk format as MBR.
    so we can conclude
    1. The common bootable USB drive made via Rufus will work with UEFI or Legacy Bios system but the disk will be partitioned to MBR.
    2. If you need GPT partition scheme, you need two separate bootables (diff for UEFI and Legacy Bios)
    3. Bootable DVD will always be used as a common boot disk (UEFI and BIOS) as long as it has both Bootmgr and EFI entries present in the ISO.
      My Computers

  3. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,085
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #432

    inwell said:
    1. The common bootable USB drive made via Rufus will work with UEFI or Legacy Bios system but the disk will be partitioned to MBR.
    Whether the disk will be GPT or MBR does not depend on the USB drive.
    The command Convert GPT will convert the disk to GPT.
    The command Convert MBR will convert the disk to MBR.
    You might want to know about DISKPART https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...mands/diskpart
      My Computer

  4. inwell's Avatar
    Posts : 92
    Win10 Pro
       #433

    Matthew Wai said:
    Whether the disk will be GPT or MBR does not depend on the USB drive.
    The command Convert GPT will convert the disk to GPT.
    The command Convert MBR will convert the disk to MBR.
    You might want to know about DISKPART https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...mands/diskpart
    So the option in RUFUS to select partition scheme type (MBR or GPT) has no such significance ?
      My Computers

  5. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,085
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #434

    Can you explain what you actually want to do to your disk? Is it GPT or MBR currently?
      My Computer

  6. inwell's Avatar
    Posts : 92
    Win10 Pro
       #435

    Matthew Wai said:
    Can you explain what you actually want to do to your disk? Is it GPT or MBR currently?
    Currently im in learning mode... trying to get used to all the possible options and different settings available for creating a bootable media. My query was not a disk or particular machine specific.

    But yes, I wish to clean install Win 10 Pro on my new assembled PC on new 250gb SSD that i have ordered online. I wish to use the UEFI bios and GPT scheme (as i have never used that before and learnt that GPT and UEFI features are good with Win 10).
    My previous Win 10 installation is on MBR disk with old BIOS.(Dell Inspiron 2011 model) .
    So everything i m trying to learn here is just for upgrading my knowledge.

    Thanks
      My Computers

  7. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,085
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #436

    inwell said:
    I wish to clean install Win 10 Pro on my new assembled PC on new 250gb SSD that i have ordered online. I wish to use the UEFI bios and GPT scheme (as i have never used that before and learnt that GPT and UEFI features are good with Win 10).
    This step 6 works with both UEFI and BIOS. Boot your PC from the USB stick. Press Shift + F10 to access Command Prompt. Run the following commands (shown in red) to convert the SSD to GPT.

    DiskPart
    List Disk
    Select Disk X
    (where X is the disk number of your SSD)
    clean
    Convert GPT
    Create partition primary
    format fs=ntfs
    (It may take a long time.)
    Exit

    inwell said:
    So the option in RUFUS to select partition scheme type (MBR or GPT) has no such
    significance ?
    If you select GPT and UEFI (non CSM), you can only install Windows 10 in UEFI mode.
    If you select MBR and BIOS (or UEFI-CSM), you can only install Windows 10 in BIOS mode.
    If you select MBR and BIOS or UEFI, you can install Windows 10 in either BIOS or UEFI mode.
      My Computer

  8. inwell's Avatar
    Posts : 92
    Win10 Pro
       #437

    Is this SHift+F10 and Diskpart process always necessary? The setup won't do that automatically? ( just selecting the disk and pressing NEXT )
      My Computers

  9. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,085
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #438

    I believe (but am not sure) that the setup will do that automatically as long as your disk is blank.
    I would always use DiskPart (or another partition tool) when I have bought a disk.
      My Computer

  10. inwell's Avatar
    Posts : 92
    Win10 Pro
       #439

    If we are booting via UEFI mode,is it 100% sure that setup when automatically installs os ,it definitely creates GPT scheme and not MBR(coz i learnt that UEFI can use MBR disk) ( in brand new disk) ? At what point we will get to know if the setup is going mbr or gpt way ? After total installation is over ?
      My Computers


 
Page 44 of 62 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums