Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10  

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast
  1.    #380

    Wynona said: View Post
    I did that before I discovered Rufus and it was a pain in the tookus! My vote is for Rufus . . . especially the newer version 3.4. What could be easier? And it's free!
    In my opinion diskpart is easier. But I know the commands and if the user doesn't know the commands then a third party program probably will be easier for them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    #381

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    In my opinion diskpart is easier. But I know the commands and if the user doesn't know the commands then a third party program probably will be easier for them.
    What are the command prompts?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    #382

    Sunssery said: View Post
    What are the command prompts?
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <-replace # with the actual number of the USB flash drive
    clean <-this will erase the drive selected above. Maker sure it is the USB flash drive!
    convert mbr
    create partition primary
    format fs=fat32 quick
    active
    assign
    exit
    exit

    Now just copy the files and folders from the mounted Windows 10 installation ISO file to the USB flash drive.
    Last edited by NavyLCDR; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:36.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    #383

    Why is this better than just format the UFD with FAT32?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    #384

    Anibor said: View Post
    Why is this better than just format the UFD with FAT32?
    It ensures that you get a USB flash drive that is universally bootable in both UEFI and Legacy BIOS (or CSM mode) computers. It gets you back to a point where you have no questions as to exactly how the USB flash drive is partitioned and formatted.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 38,998
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 18898
    Thread Starter
       #385

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <-replace # with the actual number of the USB flash drive
    clean <-this will erase the drive selected above. Maker sure it is the USB flash drive!
    convert mbr
    create partition primary
    format fs=fat32 quick
    active
    assign
    exit
    exit

    Now just copy the files and folders from the mounted Windows 10 installation ISO file to the USB flash drive.
    @mta3006

    @NavyLCDR

    I finally got this added as Option Four in the tutorial.

    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 | Tutorials
    Last edited by Brink; 4 Weeks Ago at 13:20.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    #386

    Brink said: View Post
    I finally got this added as Option Four in the tutorial.

    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 | Tutorials

    No necessary, Brink - Many thanks for adding this as an official tutorial (Now it's just that much harder for me to lose it...)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 38,998
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 18898
    Thread Starter
       #387

      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    #388

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    It ensures that you get a USB flash drive that is universally bootable in both UEFI and Legacy BIOS (or CSM mode) computers. It gets you back to a point where you have no questions as to exactly how the USB flash drive is partitioned and formatted.
    Itīs not clear to me what the difference is. When I format with FAT32, the drive is initialized as MBR, a partition is created and itīs set as "active".
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 38,998
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 18898
    Thread Starter
       #389

    Anibor said: View Post
    Itīs not clear to me what the difference is. When I format with FAT32, the drive is initialized as MBR, a partition is created and itīs set as "active".
    The outlined steps just make sure that happens. Depending on how the USB was previously formatted, it may not turn out that way unless all the steps were done.

    Basically, just a precaution.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


Related Threads
Performance & Maintenance Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Create a Bootable USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10 If you run into problems with your PC, a USB recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and fix those problems, even if Windows won't start. A recovery drive is a USB version of a...
Installation & Upgrade Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive in Tutorials
How to Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive This tutorial will show you how to manually setup Windows 10 To Go from any Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 system and run Windows 10 from a USB flash drive. The same procedure can be applied for...
How to Create a Password Reset Disk on USB Flash Drive in Windows 10 If you forget your Windows password, you can use a password reset disk to create a new one. It is recommend that you create a password reset disk when you create a password...
Solved Make USB Flash Drive in Installation and Upgrade
I was going to make a USB Flash Drive to install windows 10 as described in tutorial by Brink. But I find that ISO has been removed?? Can I still make Flash Drive / How?:
If I pre-order Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive from Amazon and it arrives on the shipping date, will the Microsoft branded flash drive be write protected to prevent erasing the original installation files preinstalled by Microsoft?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Đ Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:05.
Find Us