Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10  

Page 25 of 62 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
  1. assyrian47's Avatar
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Pro
       #240

    Excellent thread. I have accomplished the same with Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro versions when my upgrades ended up crashing after the installation. is there an application that pre-scans the computer to ensure that the upgrade goes smoothly?
      My Computer

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,333
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
    Thread Starter
       #241

    assyrian47 said:
    Excellent thread. I have accomplished the same with Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro versions when my upgrades ended up crashing after the installation. is there an application that pre-scans the computer to ensure that the upgrade goes smoothly?
    Hello assyrian47, and welcome to Ten Forums. :)

    If you like, you could use the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant in step 4 of the tutorial below to check your PC's compatibility with Windows 10. You can then cancel the upgrade process at step 4F, or let it continue to upgrade to Windows 10.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tallation.html
      My Computers

  3. Clint's Avatar
    Posts : 429
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #242

    Can you create an installation USB flash drive with both Legacy BIOS and UEFI on the same device? Or do you have to make Two separate ones?
      My Computers

  4. Akeo's Avatar
    Posts : 29
    Windows 10 x64
       #243

    Dual BIOS/UEFI installation drives are disabled by default in Rufus, to prevent people realizing that they got through an install in BIOS mode when they wanted UEFI mode.

    However, if you really want, you can use the Alt-E shortcut in Rufus, to enable dual BIOS+UEFI mode. For more, please see the FAQ.
      My Computer

  5. assyrian47's Avatar
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Pro
       #244

    Thanks for all the information. One of the major lessons learned here is to have PATIENCE while doing the upgrade. The time to complete the upgrade will be dependent on the computer and number of applications installed.

    Here are some thoughts and observations not in any order.

    1. Before making the decision to do the Anniversary Update (Version 1607), ensure that NONE of your applications running on the current version will not have issues. One example is Symantec Endpoint Protection. Check if any one else has had similar issues.

    2. Use task scheduler to make Restore Points automatically once a week. Here s spot to see how: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/64869-restore-point-automatically-create-schedule-windows-10-a.html

    3. Do a system backup to a USB device once you are comfortable that the new OS is running correctly.

    4. USB with legacy BIOS has worked for me. Just make sure that the boot sequence on your BIOS is set. Check out how here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...a.html#option1

    5. If the install hangs at 32% got to this URL. http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2...uck-error.html. This happened to me. Obviously this has happened to more than one person.

    6. Remove the Windows 10 Bloatware. If you are a PowerScript user try this URL https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

    7. Use TenForums for other questions that you might have.
    Last edited by Brink; 29 Sep 2016 at 13:44. Reason: link
      My Computer

  6. Clint's Avatar
    Posts : 429
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #245

    Akeo said:
    Dual BIOS/UEFI installation drives are disabled by default in Rufus, to prevent people realizing that they got through an install in BIOS mode when they wanted UEFI mode.

    However, if you really want, you can use the Alt-E shortcut in Rufus, to enable dual BIOS+UEFI mode. For more, please see the FAQ.
    Thanks Akeo. How can you use the MCT to do this if you all ready have downloaded the ISO file?
      My Computers

  7. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 27,978
    Windows 10 2404 Build 19042.867
       #246

    Clint said:
    Thanks Akeo. How can you use the MCT to do this if you all ready have downloaded the ISO file?
    Hi Clint. This tutorial should tell you what you need to know about the Media Creation Tool.

    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

    Although I've created my own ISOs using Rufus and downloaded the MCT, I've never thought about a dual BIOS/UEFI on the same device. So, not knowing much about what you want to do, I'll settle for giving you the above link, which I'm pretty sure will work.

    I believe the MCT should "look at your system" and take what it thinks is the best route for installing Windows 10 for you.
      My Computer

  8. Clint's Avatar
    Posts : 429
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #247

    Wynona said:
    Hi Clint. This tutorial should tell you what you need to know about the Media Creation Tool.

    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

    Although I've created my own ISOs using Rufus and downloaded the MCT, I've never thought about a dual BIOS/UEFI on the same device. So, not knowing much about what you want to do, I'll settle for giving you the above link, which I'm pretty sure will work.

    I believe the MCT should "look at your system" and take what it thinks is the best route for installing Windows 10 for you.
    Thanks for the reply Wynona. I have 2 PCs. One with UEFI and one with Legacy BIOS. I all ready have the IOS file. I want to create a USB With the MCT with out downloading the IOS file again. The link you posted says it will download the file again.
      My Computers

  9. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 27,978
    Windows 10 2404 Build 19042.867
       #248

    Clint said:
    Thanks for the reply Wynona. I have 2 PCs. One with UEFI and one with Legacy BIOS. I all ready have the IOS file. I want to create a USB With the MCT with out downloading the IOS file again. The link you posted says it will download the file again.
    Since you have the ISO, you don't need the MCT. Go and get this tutorial: USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. Click on Option 2 and you'll be shown how to create a USB for both Legacy and UEFI.

    A lot of folks think the ISO can only be used once, but like any other app, it can be used over and over. Just follow the yellow brick road in the tutorial and you will wind up with a USB for Legacy and a USB for UEFI. BTW, you'll need 8GB USB sticks instead of 4GB ones.
      My Computer

  10. Clint's Avatar
    Posts : 429
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #249

    Wynona said:
    Since you have the ISO, you don't need the MCT. Go and get this tutorial: USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. Click on Option 2 and you'll be shown how to create a USB for both Legacy and UEFI.

    A lot of folks think the ISO can only be used once, but like any other app, it can be used over and over. Just follow the yellow brick road in the tutorial and you will wind up with a USB for Legacy and a USB for UEFI. BTW, you'll need 8GB USB sticks instead of 4GB ones.
    Wynona, the way I read option 2 step-6 is UEFI and step 7 is Legacy BIOS. It takes two separate 4 gig USBs.
      My Computers


 
Page 25 of 62 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums