Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
  1.    14 Nov 2015 #160
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 24,240
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17017
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Sumitdhiman,

    After looking at the steps there, you might consider just doing a clean install of Windows 10 with UEFI instead since those steps will wipe your drive anyways.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    If done correctly, I don't see any steps in that tutorial that would wipe the drive - since a third party application is used to convert from MBR to GPT.
    Step 13 is where you would delete all partitions to wipe the drive, and Windows Setup will automatically do everything else for the format.

    You would only need that app to convert if you were manually doing it boot like in that TechNet article instead of using Windows Setup with installation media.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    14 Nov 2015 #161
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,120
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Step 13 is where you would delete all partitions to wipe the drive, and Windows Setup will automatically do everything else for the format.

    You would only need that app to convert if you were manually doing it boot like in that TechNet article instead of using Windows Setup with installation media.
    K. It's interesting that they showed their operating system partition intact after creating new partitions in front of it. Granted, that tutorial does rely upon the disk being set up exactly like theirs to begin with.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    14 Nov 2015 #162
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 24,240
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17017
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    K. It's interesting that they showed their operating system partition intact after creating new partitions in front of it. Granted, that tutorial does rely upon the disk being set up exactly like theirs to begin with.
    I just looked at it more closely, and indeed the Windows drive should still be intact without data loss afterwards.

    Converting Windows BIOS installation to UEFI - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki


    However, if one mistake is made or one thing goes wrong, I don't think it would survive. You would definitely want to back up first.

    Personally, I always prefer a clean install for the best results.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    14 Nov 2015 #163
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Chandigarh,India
    Posts : 306
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    I just looked at it more closely, and indeed the Windows drive should still be intact without data loss afterwards.

    Converting Windows BIOS installation to UEFI - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki


    However, if one mistake is made or one thing goes wrong, I don't think it would survive. You would definitely want to back up first.

    Personally, I always prefer a clean install for the best results.
    Same here.takes a bit hassle though
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    17 Nov 2015 #164
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    So, I'm trying to do this, but a little differently. What I want to do, is make one like the official USB drive from MS, that has both Home & Pro in both x86 and x64 varieties. I have a copy of the official USB flash drive already, but I want to update it to build 1511 or just create a new one from scratch (this would actually be preferable). Unfortunately, the MCT from MS only lets you do Home *OR* Pro. Does anyone know of a way to do this, yet? If there's already a guide for this, my apologies, and I would appreciate a link to it. Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    17 Nov 2015 #165
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 24,240
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17017
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
    So, I'm trying to do this, but a little differently. What I want to do, is make one like the official USB drive from MS, that has both Home & Pro in both x86 and x64 varieties. I have a copy of the official USB flash drive already, but I want to update it to build 1511 or just create a new one from scratch (this would actually be preferable). Unfortunately, the MCT from MS only lets you do Home *OR* Pro. Does anyone know of a way to do this, yet? If there's already a guide for this, my apologies, and I would appreciate a link to it. Thanks.
    Hello Jito, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Be sure that you have downloaded MCT again from OPTION ONE. It has been updated for TH2.

    You can use OPTION ONE, select Windows 10 (this is for both Home and Pro) for the edition, and select Both for the architecture.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    17 Nov 2015 #166
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Ah, maybe that's my problem. I must be using an older version. Thanks for the tip.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    17 Nov 2015 #167
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 24,240
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17017
    Thread Starter

    You're most welcome. Please let us know how it went.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    23 Nov 2015 #168
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10

    Hi, I'm having a problem. I've followed step 6 and have done it twice. Whenever I try to boot to the USB it will loop back to the bios. I have CSM and Fastboot disabled.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    23 Nov 2015 #169
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 24,240
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17017
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by ravenomega View Post
    Hi, I'm having a problem. I've followed step 6 and have done it twice. Whenever I try to boot to the USB it will loop back to the bios. I have CSM and Fastboot disabled.
    Hello ravenomega, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Step 6 in which option?

    For now, you might see if an option in the tutorial below may help to boot from the USB.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Performance & Maintenance Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10
How to Create a Bootable USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10 If you run into problems with your PC, a USB recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and fix those problems, even if Windows won't start. A recovery drive is a USB version of a...
Tutorials
User Accounts Create Password Reset Disk on USB Flash Drive in Windows 10
How to Create a Password Reset Disk on USB Flash Drive in Windows 10 If you forget your Windows password, you can use a password reset disk to create a new one. It is recommend that you create a password reset disk when you create a password for...
Tutorials
Solved Make USB Flash Drive
I was going to make a USB Flash Drive to install windows 10 as described in tutorial by Brink. But I find that ISO has been removed?? Can I still make Flash Drive / How?:
Installation and Upgrade
Installation & Upgrade Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive
How to Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive This tutorial will show you how to manually setup Windows 10 To Go from any Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 system and run Windows 10 from a USB flash drive. The same procedure can be applied for...
Tutorials
Windows 10 can be pre-ordered from Amazon on USB Flash Drive
If I pre-order Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive from Amazon and it arrives on the shipping date, will the Microsoft branded flash drive be write protected to prevent erasing the original installation files preinstalled by Microsoft?
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums