Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10  

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
  1. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 42,095
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 18980
    Thread Starter
       #60

    roundmonkey said: View Post
    I moved Music folder into D:\ and accidentally merged it with D:\ drive. Now I've been able to restore Music folder into C:\ again using that .bat method. Thank you Shawn. This made my day.

    You're most welcome, and welcome to Ten Forums.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 23
    Windows 7 and 10
       #61

    Interesting, seeing how many ways there are to go wrong with this.

    My approach: I relocated My Music, My Pictures, My Video, and Personal folders all to D:\Current. So now none of those appear anymore at %UserProfile%.

    The method I used to move them was to right-click on each such folder, one at a time, and use Properties > Location tab > specify target folder > Move. In some cases, I may have selected the target location folder in the navigation pane, and in other cases I may have left-clicked within that folder in the right pane; and I think that may have affected the outcome. Not sure. I also ran a .reg file, but now I'm not sure whether that was necessary.

    The result is OK. It works. But there are some artifacts I'd like to clean up -- by an undo, if necessary and feasible. The main thing is that, in some settings, Windows doesn't call it D:\Current anymore. Instead, it calls it D:\Pictures, accompanied by the picture icon. Also, sometimes the icon is a musical note rather than a picture.

    I've had the Pictures problem in previous installations where I've done the same thing. I just lived with it. But I noticed that Windows was also sometimes adding Camera Roll and other alien folders to D:\Current. I cooked up a recurring batch file to delete those. Not sure whether such folders are being automatically created and deleted in this new installation as well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 42,095
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 18980
    Thread Starter
       #62

    raywood said: View Post
    Interesting, seeing how many ways there are to go wrong with this.

    My approach: I relocated My Music, My Pictures, My Video, and Personal folders all to D:\Current. So now none of those appear anymore at %UserProfile%.

    The method I used to move them was to right-click on each such folder, one at a time, and use Properties > Location tab > specify target folder > Move. In some cases, I may have selected the target location folder in the navigation pane, and in other cases I may have left-clicked within that folder in the right pane; and I think that may have affected the outcome. Not sure. I also ran a .reg file, but now I'm not sure whether that was necessary.

    The result is OK. It works. But there are some artifacts I'd like to clean up -- by an undo, if necessary and feasible. The main thing is that, in some settings, Windows doesn't call it D:\Current anymore. Instead, it calls it D:\Pictures, accompanied by the picture icon. Also, sometimes the icon is a musical note rather than a picture.

    I've had the Pictures problem in previous installations where I've done the same thing. I just lived with it. But I noticed that Windows was also sometimes adding Camera Roll and other alien folders to D:\Current. I cooked up a recurring batch file to delete those. Not sure whether such folders are being automatically created and deleted in this new installation as well.

    Hello Raywood,

    It sounds like you may have moved your Pictures folder to be "D:\Current" by mistake instead of a "D:\Pictures" folder.

    Did you get this fixed?

    If not, then using this tutorial to restore the default location of your Pictures folder will get you back to square one to be able to move it again. I would recommend to create a "D:\Pictures" folder first, then select it when moving the default Pictures folder to it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 23
    Windows 7 and 10
       #63

    Your suggestion brought me to realize that, if I didn't have the system set to display hidden and system files, a workaround could be simply to create D:\Pictures, hide it, and forget about it.

    I didn't see Pictures in shell:UsersFilesFolder, so I went to shell:My Pictures. That turned out to be equal to D:\Current a/k/a D:\Pictures. But now, since I also merged Downloads, Music, Personal, and Videos into D:\Current, it was not clear which would be restored if, as the tutorial suggests, I went into D:\Current > Properties > Location tab > Restore Default.

    In that dialog, I tried specifying D:\Pictures (not the default D:\Current). But when I clicked on Restore Default, it filled in C:\Users\[username]\Documents. That didn't seem to be indicating that it was going to restore Pictures to its default location.

    As an alternative, I ran the tutorial's Restore_Pictures_Default_Location.bat. That did not seem to affect the contents of D:\Current, other than adding a "null" file. After running that batch file, shell:UsersFilesFolder still took me to %UserProfile%, but that folder did not contain a Pictures entry, and shell:My Pictures now took me to an empty folder at This PC \ Pictures. That Pictures folder does not appear in the navigation pane.

    I don't deliberately use the Pictures folder. I'm not sure if any software takes it upon itself to put files there. If so, I doubt I would ever see them, unless Pictures = Current. The present question may be, how can I achieve that equivalence without converting Current into Pictures?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 42,095
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 18980
    Thread Starter
       #64

    raywood said: View Post
    Your suggestion brought me to realize that, if I didn't have the system set to display hidden and system files, a workaround could be simply to create D:\Pictures, hide it, and forget about it.

    I didn't see Pictures in shell:UsersFilesFolder, so I went to shell:My Pictures. That turned out to be equal to D:\Current a/k/a D:\Pictures. But now, since I also merged Downloads, Music, Personal, and Videos into D:\Current, it was not clear which would be restored if, as the tutorial suggests, I went into D:\Current > Properties > Location tab > Restore Default.

    In that dialog, I tried specifying D:\Pictures (not the default D:\Current). But when I clicked on Restore Default, it filled in C:\Users\[username]\Documents. That didn't seem to be indicating that it was going to restore Pictures to its default location.

    As an alternative, I ran the tutorial's Restore_Pictures_Default_Location.bat. That did not seem to affect the contents of D:\Current, other than adding a "null" file. After running that batch file, shell:UsersFilesFolder still took me to %UserProfile%, but that folder did not contain a Pictures entry, and shell:My Pictures now took me to an empty folder at This PC \ Pictures. That Pictures folder does not appear in the navigation pane.

    I don't deliberately use the Pictures folder. I'm not sure if any software takes it upon itself to put files there. If so, I doubt I would ever see them, unless Pictures = Current. The present question may be, how can I achieve that equivalence without converting Current into Pictures?

    When you use the .bat files, it will restore the default location of the folder, but will not move the contents to the restore folder. That has to be done manually.

    Only when you use the "Restore Default" option from the properties page will it also move the contents to the restored folder location.

    In your situation, I think it may be best to restore all affected folders back to the default location. This way you can start over fresh. Create a new folder with the same name where you want to move it, then select that folder when moving the original.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 23
    Windows 7 and 10
       #65

    I appreciate the guidance. The procedure seems not to be restoring the folders to the default location, but rather to This PC. Since the folders don't appear in Explorer at This PC (and there doesn't appear to be a "This PC" folder), it appears infeasible to return them from there to the default location. So, if I continue, I may be putting them in limbo.

    Possibly I should proceed with the move, as you suggest, and then edit the registry to correct their location. Not sure what that edit would be, though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 42,095
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 18980
    Thread Starter
       #66

    raywood said: View Post
    I appreciate the guidance. The procedure seems not to be restoring the folders to the default location, but rather to This PC. Since the folders don't appear in Explorer at This PC (and there doesn't appear to be a "This PC" folder), it appears infeasible to return them from there to the default location. So, if I continue, I may be putting them in limbo.

    Possibly I should proceed with the move, as you suggest, and then edit the registry to correct their location. Not sure what that edit would be, though.

    What do the locations show as in "This PC" after using the .bat files to restore the default locations?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 2,430
    Windows 10 Home x64 and Pro x86
       #67

    It seems to me that there is some degree of misunderstanding here. There is, for example, no such thing as a "This PC" folder.

    I suggest that you run File explorer & post these two screenshots to resolve the potential misunderstanding
    Screenshot 1 Select This PC
    Screenshot 2 Select C:\Users\YourUserName in the left-hand pane [the Navigation pane]

    Denis
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 23
    Windows 7 and 10
       #68

    Pleased and a little chagrined to see that Pictures has returned to the user folder after all. Maybe there was an intervening reboot to thank. Anyway, here are the images as requested, though now I'm nearly emboldened to follow Brink's advice and return the others to their origin.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG 1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	246726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG 2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	246727
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 2,430
    Windows 10 Home x64 and Pro x86
       #69

    In the second diagram it looks like several have already been put back in their default location - Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Links [i.e. File explorer's Quick access item], Pictures. I suggest right-clicking on each of those folders & selecting Properties - if the Properties has a Location tab then it really is the user folder it appears to be.

    In the first diagram, it looks as though you have used Add or Remove Folders from This PC - TenForumsTutorials but that the Desktop folder has failed to disappear.

    Denis
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Tutorial Categories

Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


Related Threads
Installation & Upgrade Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Move Users Folder to another Location in Windows 10 The method described in this tutorial allows relocating Windows 10 main profile folder Users including all present and future user profiles and folders while installing Windows, before...
How to Restore Default Apps for File Type Associations in Windows 10 A default app is the program that Windows uses automatically when you open a particular file type or protocol. Default app associations for file extensions are a per user...
How to Export and Import Custom Default App Associations for New Users in Windows 10 You can use the default application association-servicing commands to import, export, list, and remove the settings that specify which application opens a file...
Anyone know how to restore these folders to their original drive after they were moved during sysprep
Where is this wallpaper stored? also, where can I find the different resolutions of it? Thanks!.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40.
Find Us