Windows 10: Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First  

Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
  1. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 19,060
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15063
       14 Dec 2015 #180

    digobora said: View Post
    I know this question may sound weird but, does this method work if I don't do a clean install? I mean, what happens if I generate this xml file, then upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10 and replace the file when installation finishes? I'm asking this because our upgraded Windows are not automatically activating as expected.
    Hello Digobora,

    I haven't tested using the .xml after an upgrade, but it should still work.

    If your Windows 7 is activated, then Windows 10 should have been activated when upgrading if the Windows 7 edition (from) you have installed meets the qualifying upgrade path of the Windows 10 edition (to) you are upgrading to.


    Windows 7
    From Edition To Edition
    Windows 7 Starter Windows 10 Home
    Windows 7 Home Basic Windows 10 Home
    Windows 7 Home Premium Windows 10 Home
    Windows 7 Professional Windows 10 Pro
    Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 10 Pro
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    14 Dec 2015 #181

    digobora said: View Post
    I know this question may sound weird but, does this method work if I don't do a clean install? I mean, what happens if I generate this xml file, then upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10 and replace the file when installation finishes? I'm asking this because our upgraded Windows are not automatically activating as expected.
    If you upgraded to the latest build of Windows 10 (version 1511, build 10586.XX) then if you upgraded to the correct version of Windows 10 (see Brink's post above), you should be able to activate it by changing the product key (on the activation screen) and entering the Windows 7 product key. If the computer has a COA sticker for Windows 7, that would be the product key you would try entering.

    If your upgrade didn't activate after the upgrade, it is likely that you forced an upgrade to a version that did not match the version of Windows 7 you were upgrading from.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. Night Hawk's Avatar
    Posts : 3,337
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
       15 Dec 2015 #182

    Back in the first week of August 7 to 10 upgrades would take days at times simply due to the heavy volume of traffic on the activation servers. But a 10 over 10 upgrade would automatically see the activation on the spot compared any 7, 8, or 8.1 previous version type upgrade while at this time you should see activation automatically after a full day when there's any type of delay when following the correct upgrade path.

    With the latest Windiws Insider Preview 10586 build also version 1511 as well as the Threshold 2 1511 you can now simply enter the valid key for the Windows version you are upgrading from and once activated shouldn't have to worry about ever needing to enter the same key all over again since the MS servers will have a record as long as there are no major hardware changes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    16 Dec 2015 #183

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    If you upgraded to the latest build of Windows 10 (version 1511, build 10586.XX) then if you upgraded to the correct version of Windows 10 (see Brink's post above), you should be able to activate it by changing the product key (on the activation screen) and entering the Windows 7 product key. If the computer has a COA sticker for Windows 7, that would be the product key you would try entering.

    If your upgrade didn't activate after the upgrade, it is likely that you forced an upgrade to a version that did not match the version of Windows 7 you were upgrading from.
    Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro.

    So, does this method work if I don't do a clean install?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Dec 2015 #184

    digobora said: View Post
    Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro.

    So, does this method work if I don't do a clean install?
    If you did an in place upgrade and it did not activate, the genuineticket.xml will not activate it either.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    17 Dec 2015 #185

    Thanks for this tutorial
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 19,060
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15063
       17 Dec 2015 #186

    I'm glad it could help Bhrayan23.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    17 Dec 2015 #187

    Ok so tomorrow i am going to cleanly install Windows 10 Pro.

    I have a Windows 7 pro UPGRADE edition, will it accept the key or will i have to install windows 7 first?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 19,060
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15063
       17 Dec 2015 #188

    Hello cloud8521,

    If you never had Windows 7 or 10 activated on the PC, then yes you'll need to install and activate Windows 7 first, then upgrade to Windows 10 or use the method in this tutorial with a GenuineTicket.xml file.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    18 Dec 2015 #189

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello cloud8521,

    If you never had Windows 7 or 10 activated on the PC, then yes you'll need to install and activate Windows 7 first, then upgrade to Windows 10 or use the method in this tutorial with a GenuineTicket.xml file.
    because its a upgrade license?


    man this would be easier if i could get my hands on the freaking Windows 7 pro 64 bit ISO, and no i cant get it from the microsoft site because it is giving out the french error


    edit: tore house apart found disk
    Last edited by cloud8521; 18 Dec 2015 at 02:02.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Related Threads
hey all, i'm running into an issue with activating a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on my netbook. i did an upgrade on the same netbook from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro, which installed and activated fine. i decided to try wiping the...
Maybe someone can push me in the right direction to a fix ? Or should I buy a new computer? Today I decided to accept Microsoft's invitation to download and upgrade my windows 7 pro, unfortunately, it didn't go so smoothly as I had hoped it...
Hey Guys I upgraded from 8.1 (genuine Sony Vaio ) using the media creation upgrade option, it installed and activated to windows 10 pro. I then used the same media creation tool to download the iso and used Rufus to put it onto a usb so that I...
As the topic said :chuckle:
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums