Enable AHCI in Windows 8 and Windows 10 after Installation  

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
  1. ddelo's Avatar
    Posts : 1,844
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #120

    NavyLCDR said:
    The question is, what do you show in Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers (or possibly storage controllers)? If it is using an AHCI driver, that's what you have. If an IDE driver is listed there, then that is what you have. That would be the definitive answer, IMHO.
    It is the definitive answer !!!
      My Computer

  2. ddelo's Avatar
    Posts : 1,844
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #121

    magilla said:
    Thanks, @ddelo, @brink, @Kbird. Appreciate the feedback and info from all three of you!
    You're most welcome!

    Just get a good driver (not the one proposed by Microsoft) from Fernando in the site @Kbird suggested and you're good to go!
      My Computer

  3. magilla's Avatar
    Posts : 2,854
    Windows 10 and windows insider
       #122

    NavyLCDR said:
    The question is, what do you show in Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers (or possibly storage controllers)? If it is using an AHCI driver, that's what you have. If an IDE driver is listed there, then that is what you have. That would be the definitive answer, IMHO.
    Thanks @NavyLCDR - not ide ata listed, so think I’m good. Appreciate your input.
      My Computer

  4. ddelo's Avatar
    Posts : 1,844
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #123

    magilla said:
    Thanks @NavyLCDR - not ide ata listed, so think I’m good. Appreciate your input.

    And a small usage advice, if I may.... The last few days there has been a change in TenForums..
    Once you "Quote" someone, he/she gets notified that you did it. No need to mention him/her too (by adding @ before the username), as he/she gets two notifications for the same thing. One in the Mentions tab and another in the Quotes tab of his/her profile!… Cool ehh??
    Last edited by ddelo; 19 Oct 2018 at 09:24.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Pro
       #124

    I've done countless clean installs and for some reason I completely forgot to change my BIOS setting to Secure Boot on my work computer yesterday when I clean installed WIN 10 Pro 64-bit to a new SSD drive that replaced my SATA that finally died (was hoping this would eventually happen). This PC is a HP Compaq Elite 8300 Mini Tower that much to my chagrin came loaded with WIN 7 Home Premium 64-bit configured with the SATA HDD in a Legacy configuration. Bottom line, your guide to make sure ACHI was enabled and to update the UEFI Firmware through WIN 10 Recovery at startup was precise and worked perfectly!!
      My Computer

  6. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 48,963
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 19640
    Thread Starter
       #125

    MuskieMedic said:
    I've done countless clean installs and for some reason I completely forgot to change my BIOS setting to Secure Boot on my work computer yesterday when I clean installed WIN 10 Pro 64-bit to a new SSD drive that replaced my SATA that finally died (was hoping this would eventually happen). This PC is a HP Compaq Elite 8300 Mini Tower that much to my chagrin came loaded with WIN 7 Home Premium 64-bit configured with the SATA HDD in a Legacy configuration. Bottom line, your guide to make sure ACHI was enabled and to update the UEFI Firmware through WIN 10 Recovery at startup was precise and worked perfectly!!

    Hello MuskieMedic, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    I'm glad the tutorial was able to help you out of your situation.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 12
    Windows 10 Home
       #126

    Fixed


    Hi, I followed the above instructions, but when I rebooted I got a "Missing Operating System" message . I went back into BIOS and changed back to IDE but still get the same message, and can go no further. What have I done wrong and how to I get my PC back up and running please?


    After posting this I tried F12 to boot the machine, and when I selected the hard drive it worked, so I revisited the BIOS boot setups to move the hard drive to the top of the harddrive boot priority list and the PC is back up and running, though Windows did several "Automatic repairs. Now to try the conversion again!
    Last edited by dave12cd; 1 Week Ago at 08:11. Reason: Found a solution
      My Computer



  8. Posts : 2,053
    Win10 1809
       #127

    dave12cd said:
    Hi, I followed the above instructions, but when I rebooted I got a "Missing Operating System" message . I went back into BIOS and changed back to IDE but still get the same message, and can go no further. What have I done wrong and how to I get my PC back up and running please?
    After posting this I tried F12 to boot the machine, and when I selected the hard drive it worked, so I revisited the BIOS boot setups to move the hard drive to the top of the harddrive boot priority list and the PC is back up and running, though Windows did several "Automatic repairs. Now to try the conversion again!
    sounds like you are losing the Boot Order is all on the SSD/HDDs , in Win10 it usually say Windows Boot manager for the 1st selection not the SSD or HDD it is on particularly if you are Dual booting OS's.

    KB
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 40
    Windows10 1909 x64 Home
       #128

    This brings me to my UEFI setting (BIOS Version/Date Insyde Corp. V1.16, 11/12/2019) SMBIOS 3.2, The SATA setting was set (by default) to "RST with Optane" although I don't have Optane memory (hardware), no SSD and only 1 SATA HDD. My laptop is Acer Aspire A515-54G and the Optane app came preinstalled but I added RST from Acer's support site later. I queried Acer community why Optane app is installed on my model without Optane hardware but no response yet.
    Everything runs fine, fast booting time and no errors If I check Optane and RST control panels they both state that Optane is not working but my memory is good.
    Enable AHCI in Windows 8 and Windows 10 after Installation-optane.png
    I wonder to continue with these Intel apps or switch to AHCI SATA setting as per this tutorial and uninstall Optane and RST when I tried to uninstall RST before I got a warning (from Intel?) that not all drivers could be uninstalled and my HDD may not function properly, something about Raid and AHCI?
    Appreciate any advice.
    Frank
      My Computer

  10. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 48,963
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 19640
    Thread Starter
       #129

    Hello @FrankW,

    If you don't have Optane, then it would be best to switch to AHCI, and uninstall the Intel app afterwards.
      My Computers


 

Tutorial Categories

Enable AHCI in Windows 8 and Windows 10 after Installation Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:09.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums