Windows 10: Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8  

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 73
    Windows 10 Pro
       01 Aug 2015 #120

    Wow. That was so easy that now I'm almost embarrassed I asked lol. Now I just need to see about the 6 million other questions I had forgotten about since I last changed OS's.

    Thank God for the Brink tutorials.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 20,722
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
    Thread Starter
       01 Aug 2015 #121

    You're most welcome mate. Never feel embarrassed about asking questions. See my signature about that.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    05 Aug 2015 #122

    Brink said: View Post
    You're most welcome mate. Never feel embarrassed about asking questions. See my signature about that.
    I don't hope I'm hi-jacking the thread (first time poster, I'm sorry if this is the wrong section to post in) but I have not been able to find an answer anywhere to this question:

    What would one do to dual-boot Windows 7 and Windows 10 IF Win 10 is installed FIRST? The question in case is about a brand new laptop with Win 10 that also needs a working Win 7 install.

    How do I go around this?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 20,722
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
    Thread Starter
       05 Aug 2015 #123

    Hello Hvilsted, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    It would depend on if you are installing Windows 7 to the same hard drive Windows 10 is installed on, or a separate hard drive.

    Please post a screenshot showing the full layout of your Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) to see what options you may have.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...en-forums.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    05 Aug 2015 #124

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello Hvilsted, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    It would depend on if you are installing Windows 7 to the same hard drive Windows 10 is installed on, or a separate hard drive.

    Please post a screenshot showing the full layout of your Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) to see what options you may have.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...en-forums.html
    Thanks for the welcome! And thank you for your quick reply.

    I'm not able to post a screen shot from that specific laptop for now, as I don't have it.

    But I can say for sure that Win 7 will be installed on a partition on the same disk as Win 10 as it is a laptop with only one harddrive.

    I thought maybe there was a guide somewhere that started out with Win 10 being installed first? I just haven't been able to Google it up.

    EDIT:

    Let's just say it is this laptop I'm using now:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Billede2.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	28643
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 20,722
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
    Thread Starter
       05 Aug 2015 #125

    Hvilsted,

    It will all depend on if you will be able to shrink the drive Windows 10 is installed on from within Windows 10 to be able to create unallocated space. Sometimes you are not able to OEM PCs because of the way they setup their recovery partitions. This is the main reason for the screenshot of Disk Management to verify.

    If you are not able to, then you would need to install a second hard drive to use, OR install Windows 7 in a virtual machine.

    If you are able to, then you would just select the new unallocated space to install Windows 7 on like below.

    Name:  5789d1412186697-windows-10-dual-boot-windows-7-windows-8-a-5439d1412186697-windows-10-technical-.png
Views: 611
Size:  62.6 KB
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    05 Aug 2015 #126

    Brink said: View Post
    Hvilsted,

    It will all depend on if you will be able to shrink the drive Windows 10 is installed on from within Windows 10 to be able to create unallocated space. Sometimes you are not able to OEM PCs because of the way they setup their recovery partitions. This is the main reason for the screenshot of Disk Management to verify.

    If you are not able to, then you would need to install a second hard drive to use, OR install Windows 7 in a virtual machine.

    If you are able to, then you would just select the new unallocated space to install Windows 7 on like below.

    Name:  5789d1412186697-windows-10-dual-boot-windows-7-windows-8-a-5439d1412186697-windows-10-technical-.png
Views: 611
Size:  62.6 KB
    So - it's that easy? Will Win 7 install not mess up Win 10 MBR?

    1: Create unallocated space with Mini Tool Partition Wizard or something like that
    2: Plug in bootable USB with Win 7
    3: Start Win 7 installation, select unallocated space
    4: Boot menu will automatically appear after install?


    Thank you very much for your replies!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 20,722
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
    Thread Starter
       05 Aug 2015 #127

    Correct, but I'd see if you could shrink the partition in Disk Management first before using a 3rd party program.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    05 Aug 2015 #128

    Brink said: View Post
    Correct, but I'd see if you could shrink the partition in Disk Management first before using a 3rd party program.
    Thank you very much.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 20,722
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
    Thread Starter
       05 Aug 2015 #129

    You're most welcome. Please let us know how it went.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates...
I remember seeing some stuff about how Windows 10 would wipe all other partitions, so I'm just wondering if that's still a problem. :sarc: And if so, can you select which partition to install on? ( I'd assume definitely so, but.. )
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone else is having issues with running windows 10 through boot camp on mac os x? I currently am experiencing glitchy display images as well as not being able to use the search bar next to the windows start menu.
Hi I'm getting there, I've downloaded the .ISO file, I've made 2 images of my C:\ drive (using 2 different backup programs) and I've created a 100 GB partition on my second hard drive labeled Windows 10. Now I'm going to create the install...
Solved Delete Windows 10 Dual boot. in Installation and Upgrade
If you have the System Reserved partition. Just DELETE the Windows 10 partition. 5561 Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 - Delete Windows 7 Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 - Delete Windows 8
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:24.
Find Us