Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10  

Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
  1. lavalian's Avatar
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       #370

    Great get-to-the-point tutorial. Thank you :)
      My Computer

  2. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,534
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #371

    @Kari, I was going to IM you in Skype about this, but thought maybe others might be interested too: What's new in Hyper-V on Windows Server 2016
    Last Updated: 3/16/2017
      My Computers

  3. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #372

    Cliff S said:
    @Kari, I was going to IM you in Skype about this, but thought maybe others might be interested too: What's new in Hyper-V on Windows Server 2016
    Last Updated: 3/16/2017
    Yeah. Some of those changes only apply to server versions of Windows, but the fact is Hyper-V is evolving all the time.

    One of the most interesting changes lately has been the ability to dynamically change the resolution of the VM in Enhanced Mode. Just drag VM window from a corner and resize it freely to whatever resolution you want to use:
    Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10-image.png

    Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10-image.png

    Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10-image.png

    The wallpaper might not resize to all unorthodox resolutions as seen in above screenshots 2 & 3, but Windows is fully functional using your non-standard resolution.

    Kari
      My Computer

  4. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,534
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #373

    We can upgrade config version again, just to double check, is it 8.0 now, as when I click it, nothing happens
    Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10-image-012.png
      My Computers

  5. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #374

    Yes, current configuration version is 8.0.
      My Computer

  6. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,534
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #375

    Kari said:
    Yes, current configuration version is 8.0.
    You the MAN! Thanks Kari!:)
      My Computers

  7. ICIT2LOL's Avatar
    Posts : 6,333
    1010 Pro on all on various machines version 2004
       #376

    Hello Kari
    Now you will be thinking oh no not him again but there are a few things I want to get straight in my mind about this as Shawn has suggested this as opposed to a dual boot on a 10 I have just about finished installing on my main desktop and I don't want to wreck that because (it is along story) it has taken me a long time to get permission to use the OEM I mistakenly installed on a small laptop. So please forgive my total ignorance when I ask these few queries.

    1. The VM is this a cloud based function?
    2. Does the VM use any part of the hard drive and memory?
    3. Once installed which in itself looks extremely complicated the VM does that need a separate AV for example from the installed one I shall have in10?
    4. Do I have to use the original 7 Home key when using the ISO?
    5. Once set up is it easier to swap OS's in a VM than having a straight dual boot?
    6. Lastly Because I have not gone all the way through your tutorial does the VM have icon on say the taskbar?

    These are few things I want to get clear in my mind before I set itup and then find it is not something I want.
      My Computer

  8. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #377

    ICIT2LOL said:
    1. The VM is this a cloud based function??
    No, in this case, using VM on your computer it is completely local solution. Everything will be stored on your hard disk.

    VM can be on cloud, for instance there are certain benefits in running a Windows Server on Microsoft Azure cloud instead of local computer. However, when talking about virtualization and virtual machines used by private users and computers we mean locally installed virtualization software for instance Hyper-V, and virtual machines installed on local HDD / SSD.


    ICIT2LOL said:
    2. Does the VM use any part of the hard drive and memory??
    As explained above, it uses only local resources of the PC where virtualization software is installed and virtual machine set up. The virtual hard disks of your virtual machines are just files on your HDD / SSD.


    ICIT2LOL said:
    3. Once installed which in itself looks extremely complicated the VM does that need a separate AV for example from the installed one I shall have in10??
    Installing Windows 10 on a virtual machine is exactly as easy as installing it on any physical computer. A virtual machine is in any sense as any local computer on your network; it requires it's own OS, license, software and AV protection.


    ICIT2LOL said:
    4. Do I have to use the original 7 Home key when using the ISO??
    I am not sure if it is still possible to install Windows using Windows 7 / 8 keys. That being said, as mentioned above a virtual machine is in every sense as any other computer on your network requiring its own license and activation (product key). You can of course use Windows 10 without activating it if Activate now watermark and missing personalization options do not bother you.


    ICIT2LOL said:
    5. Once set up is it easier to swap OS's in a VM than having a straight dual boot??
    To run Windows on virtual machine simply double click it in Hyper-V Manager to open VM window and click Start. That's it
    Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10-image.png

    Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10-image.png

    Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10-image.png


    ICIT2LOL said:
    6. Lastly Because I have not gone all the way through your tutorial does the VM have icon on say the taskbar?
    Hyper-V Manager will be found in Start > W > Windows Administrative Tools when set up. You can of course create shortcuts to your virtual machines, see this tutorial for instructions: Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

    Kari
      My Computer

  9. ICIT2LOL's Avatar
    Posts : 6,333
    1010 Pro on all on various machines version 2004
       #378

    Ok Kari Thanks for the reply

    Now I have just been through the first two videos and I could set one up on my main desktop using the SSD I have only 10 on it. Now I really would like to have 7 Home installed on any VM simply because I want to flick between the two OS's for forum purposes in the main as pics of Control Panel settings for example are just that bit different.

    Say for example at the time I was running 10 and I was on a thread from 7 and wanted to snip a pic of some setting in 7 the I would prefer to just open the VM 7 briefly take the shot and go back to the post I had open running 10 and attach a pic. to my answer. So it is from what I gather in the videos that easy??

    Currently on this main desktop of mine I have a dual boot 7 & 10 running but also have a dedicated SSD with only 10 on it . Now if it is that easy then the dedicated 10 drive with a VM that and run would be easier than rebooting and choosing the other OS finding what I have to do in there and then rebooting back to 10 and post my answers.

    Right now if I want to run only the drive just 10 on it I have to swap the main SATA port lead over this as you will know mans I have to keep doing that to keep the updates up to date and have two drives instead of just one.

    The bit I didn't really grasp was the memory I have 8GB installed and I am assuming the VM would take whatever you choose from it leaving the running OS with less than 8GB?? I don't see it as a problem being 8GB but am just curious if that is correct?

    My only other worries are having to use up yet another AV key for the extra machine as I have only two keys left and two of my machines are running on empty as it is, and anything to do with the cloud.
      My Computer

  10. Golden's Avatar
    Posts : 1,635
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #379

    John, I'll try and answer some of these based on how I use VirtualBox W10 Guest on a MacOSX host - the general principles are the same regardless of which software you use to create/run the VM. Kari will correct me if I am wrong.
    ICIT2LOL said:
    Say for example at the time I was running 10 and I was on a thread from 7 and wanted to snip a pic of some setting in 7 the I would prefer to just open the VM 7 briefly take the shot and go back to the post I had open running 10 and attach a pic. to my answer. So it is from what I gather in the videos that easy??
    Yes it is that simple.

    ICIT2LOL said:
    Now if it is that easy then the dedicated 10 drive with a VM that and run would be easier than rebooting and choosing the other OS finding what I have to do in there and then rebooting back to 10 and post my answers.
    Thats why VM's are so attractive - no need to reboot to another OS. Both are running concurrently.

    ICIT2LOL said:
    The bit I didn't really grasp was the memory I have 8GB installed and I am assuming the VM would take whatever you choose from it leaving the running OS with less than 8GB?? I don't see it as a problem being 8GB but am just curious if that is correct?
    Correct. What you might do is assign 4GB to the host (W10) and 4GB to the guest (W7 VM). More than adequate based on how you use W10/W7 - you will not notice any performance hit.

    ICIT2LOL said:
    My only other worries are having to use up yet another AV key for the extra machine as I have only two keys left and two of my machines are running on empty as it is, and anything to do with the cloud.
    Simply use free Windows Defender for W10, and your preferred Kaspersky on W7 VM (or vice versa).

    As mentioned by Kari - VM's by private users such as yourself run locally - the cloud is an absolute non-issue for you.
      My Computers


 
Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:07.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums