Windows 10: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
  1. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 12,085
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       2016-12-18 #340

    Kari said: View Post
    No, it's not your computer that decides it. It's the guest OS, Windows version on vm must be Windows 8.1 or later (desktop versions) or Windows Server 2012 R2 or later (server versions).

    Enhanced Mode also requires a user account on vm to have a password, or if using with user account without password that user must be added to Remote Desktop Users group in guest OS.

    Read more: Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

    Kari
    OK, both the underlying OSes (dual boot with Insider and AU) are Windows 10. I installed Build 14986 to the virtual machine.

    So, now it says I need to buy a key to activate it! This desktop has had Windows 10 on it since I joined the Insider Program at the beginning. So, does Microsoft think this is actually a different machine?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 9,984
    Windows 10 Pro
       2016-12-18 #341

    Wynona said: View Post
    OK, both the underlying OSes (dual boot with Insider and AU) are Windows 10. I installed Build 14986 to the virtual machine.

    So, now it says I need to buy a key to activate it! This desktop has had Windows 10 on it since I joined the Insider Program at the beginning. So, does Microsoft think this is actually a different machine?
    Every virtual machine is its own entity, a completely individual machine with individual machine SID as any physical machine you have. Computer 2 will not be automatically activated because Computer 1 is already activated; in this case your host (physical) computer being Computer 1 and your new vm Computer 2.

    Windows 10 on an unactivated vm works just fine for all your testing / playing purposes. At some point it will show Activate Windows watermark, I simply do not let that bother me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. johngalt's Avatar
    Posts : 418
    WinX Pro x64 IP v14986
       2016-12-18 #342

    Kari said: View Post
    OK @Wynona, I only wanted to see a little tell-tale, sorry for asking a full screen screenshot but I thought this is fastest and easiest way for you to make the screenshot and us to see it

    The telltale is here, the notification area of your vm:
    I wanted to know if you are using your vm in normal or enhanced mode. As the normal mode does not have any audio device, the red X is shown over the volume icon in notification area. In enhanced mode volume icon (read = audio device) works. From this small detail you can always tell which mode your vm is using.

    OK, your vm is in normal mode and you change the resolution of your vm as you would do on any physical computer. Simply right click on an empty spot on desktop (on vm, that is), select Display settings, select Advanced display settings on bottom of the right pane, and finally select your preferred resolution.

    I like to run mine windowed, not full screen, with 1600 * 900 resolution if using a 1920 * 1080 or bigger display, in 1366 * 768 if running vm on 1600 * 900 display.

    Kari
    The reason I suggested what I did is that every time I have set up a VM, after the initial setup, the first instance never goes full screen and that same audio disabled icon shows on my machine. After I reboot the VM, it goes irectly into full screen and audio works.
    @Wynona - I meant to run Windows Update in the VM itself.
    @Kari - could it be the lack of activation?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 12,085
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       2016-12-18 #343

    johngalt said: View Post
    The reason I suggested what I did is that every time I have set up a VM, after the initial setup, the first instance never goes full screen and that same audio disabled icon shows on my machine. After I reboot the VM, it goes irectly into full screen and audio works.
    @Wynona - I meant to run Windows Update in the VM itself.
    i ran Windows Update in the VM itself. Other than Defender, there were no updates.

    johngalt said: View Post
    @Kari - could it be the lack of activation?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 12,085
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       2016-12-18 #344

    Kari said: View Post
    Every virtual machine is its own entity, a completely individual machine with individual machine SID as any physical machine you have. Computer 2 will not be automatically activated because Computer 1 is already activated; in this case your host (physical) computer being Computer 1 and your new vm Computer 2.

    Windows 10 on an unactivated vm works just fine for all your testing / playing purposes. At some point it will show Activate Windows watermark, I simply do not let that bother me.
    Thanks, Kari. So, what I thought is true. And since I'll be running Insider Builds and testing for Microsoft on it, I guess I'll just not worry about whether it's activated or not.

    Thanks for all the hand holding throughout. I appreciate it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 9,984
    Windows 10 Pro
       2016-12-18 #345

    johngalt said: View Post
    After I reboot the VM, it goes irectly into full screen and audio works.
    Windows on a Hyper-V vm in normal mode never has audio, simply because complete audio device is missing. It is absolutely not possible to get audio connecting to vm using Virtual Machine Connection in normal mode, hence the red x on top of volume indicator.

    Windows on a Hyper-V vm in normal mode will never open full screen, what ever resolution user has set on that vm. It always opens windowed, full screen must be manually applied. If resolution was set to for instance 1920 * 1080 last time before Windows vm was shut down and vm was used in full screen mode, next time it will be opened and started it will open windowed, Windows in 1920 * 1080 resolution.

    Only way to get a Hyper-V Windows to always automatically open in full screen is to use Enhanced Mode and in Connect to Enhanced Mode dialog change the default resolution from 1366 * 768 to Full Screen, click Show options and save the resolution settings:
    Name:  image.png
Views: 63
Size:  20.9 KB
    Name:  image.png
Views: 70
Size:  22.8 KB

    Enhanced Mode has audio support, based on remote desktop protocol; it uses Remote Audio device (host audio device) for playback and recording.

    None of these audio and / or resolution related things have nothing whatsoever to do with guest operating systems activation status.

    Kari
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. johngalt's Avatar
    Posts : 418
    WinX Pro x64 IP v14986
       2016-12-18 #346

    Kari said: View Post
    Windows on a Hyper-V vm in normal mode never has audio, simply because complete audio device is missing. It is absolutely not possible to get audio connecting to vm using Virtual Machine Connection in normal mode, hence the red x on top of volume indicator.

    Windows on a Hyper-V vm in normal mode will never open full screen, what ever resolution user has set on that vm. It always opens windowed, full screen must be manually applied. If resolution was set to for instance 1920 * 1080 last time before Windows vm was shut down and vm was used in full screen mode, next time it will be opened and started it will open windowed, Windows in 1920 * 1080 resolution.

    Only way to get a Hyper-V Windows to always automatically open in full screen is to use Enhanced Mode and in Connect to Enhanced Mode dialog change the default resolution from 1366 * 768 to Full Screen, click Show options and save the resolution settings:
    Name:  image.png
Views: 63
Size:  20.9 KB
    Name:  image.png
Views: 70
Size:  22.8 KB

    Enhanced Mode has audio support, based on remote desktop protocol; it uses host audio device for playback and recording.

    None of these audio and / or resolution related things have nothing whatsoever to do with guest operating systems activation status.

    Kari
    All my VMs are set with that option before I even start installing. And on every VM, the first time it loads the desktop after install and setup it acts like it is on normal mode.

    Every single one.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 9,984
    Windows 10 Pro
       2016-12-18 #347

    Wynona said: View Post
    Thanks, Kari. So, what I thought is true. And since I'll be running Insider Builds and testing for Microsoft on it, I guess I'll just not worry about whether it's activated or not.

    Thanks for all the hand holding throughout. I appreciate it.
    You are welcome Wynona

    I have at the moment 14 Windows 10 virtual machines, only four of them activated. I take good care of those four, exporting them to external drive always before re-installing Windows, importing them back afterwards (export vm tutorial, import vm tutorial).

    The rest of my Windows 10 virtual machines have a short life span. I use them to test install, upgrade and Sysprep scenarios, removing them when no longer needed, creating new ones for new tests.

    Have fun with Hyper-V!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 9,984
    Windows 10 Pro
       2016-12-18 #348

    johngalt said: View Post
    All my VMs are set with that option before I even start installing. And on every VM, the first time it loads the desktop after install and setup it acts like it is on normal mode.

    Every single one.
    I really do not understand what you mean? For instance with this: "All my VMs are set with that option before I even start installing".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. johngalt's Avatar
    Posts : 418
    WinX Pro x64 IP v14986
       2016-12-18 #349

    What I am saying is that I don't change anthing from when I crreate the VM to when I am able to adjust the size to Full Screen. The first boot, which installs the OS, does not allow - but immediately after rebooting the VM I am able to use full screen mde for it at my monitor's native resolution.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I've been using Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit since it's release &, by in large, I'm pretty pleased with it. During a motherboard change & RAM upgrade to 32G, I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro (to enable all RAM to be used) which I choose in preference to...
Used this tool, Download Microsoft® Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool from Official Microsoft Download Center No go VMware said the same thing boo-hoo anyone have instruction to enable in bios ? Spec's are added, Cheers.
Hi I'm getting there, I've downloaded the .ISO file, I've made 2 images of my C:\ drive (using 2 different backup programs) and I've created a 100 GB partition on my second hard drive labeled Windows 10. Now I'm going to create the install...
Solved Windows 10 and Hyper-V in Installation and Setup
I tried to install the preview as a virtual machine and everything went fine until after a reboot following the download and installation of the updates. Both 8.1 & 10 locked up with a strange crackling noise through the speakers every few seconds....
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:19.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums