Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
  1.    01 Jan 2016 #220
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,039
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Removing an external virtual switch assigned to a wireless physical adapter can be really tricky, in some cases needing a reinstall of Windows before the switch can be re-created.
    Really I haven't had that problem, but... you remember the BIG one I had
    Although once I had to remove one by going to Device Manager, but that was only that one time.
    One odd thing I have noticed, I get one Mb more speed upload and download since I installed my V-switch.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    01 Jan 2016 #221
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,183
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Removing an external virtual switch assigned to a wireless physical adapter can be really tricky, in some cases needing a reinstall of Windows before the switch can be re-created.
    Does it make a difference if my computer is hardwired to the router? Just checking before I do anything else.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    01 Jan 2016 #222
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,039
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu



    This is what I mean Kari, how often does anyone actually get the full "Up to" plus more? Since I have the virtual switch installed, always. Is there a reason for this? before I was getting an average of 24/3.5-4
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    01 Jan 2016 #223
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,039
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Does it make a difference if my computer is hardwired to the router? Just checking before I do anything else.
    Do you mean Ethernet? that's how mine is.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    01 Jan 2016 #224
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,183
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Do you mean Ethernet? that's how mine is.
    Maybe hardwired isn't the right term . . . I have a wired connection running from my computer to the router. The rest of my equipment is wireless.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    01 Jan 2016 #225
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,039
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Do you mean so?
    Name:  thREZ07PCR.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  8.2 KB
    That's how I am. The Virtual Switch is just for the PC it's set up on, it's a driver I believe, @Kari correct me if I'm wrong.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 003.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	56489
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    01 Jan 2016 #226
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,183
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Yes, except the modem connects to the router which then connects to the computer. Here's the Device Manager:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Network Adapters.PNG 
Views:	76 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	56490
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    01 Jan 2016 #227
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,689
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Does it make a difference if my computer is hardwired to the router? Just checking before I do anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Do you mean Ethernet? that's how mine is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Maybe hardwired isn't the right term . . . I have a wired connection running from my computer to the router. The rest of my equipment is wireless.
    First, my apologies. I quite often tell people to read the posts they are replying to more carefully before responding to avoid mistakes, wrong answers, yet I myself am often guilty of not reading the posts carefully. As for instance now:

    I checked Wynona's screenshot too fast and "decided" she is trying to create a duplicate wireless external switch, because the name she had given to the switch had the word WLAN in it (#1 in screenshot below).

    Had I checked the post and the screenshot better, I had noticed that although the switch was named as WLAN switch, it in fact is a LAN/Ethernet switch (#2):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_01_01_17_14_501.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	56492

    So, Wynona: Your existing external virtual switch is tied to your Ethernet (wired) network adapter. If this PC is connected to the network router with Ethernet, you do not need another external switch for the wireless adapter.

    If the PC has no wired connection to the router, if it is connected wireless, you need to create another external switch using your host computer's wireless NIC instead of the wired Ethernet switch.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Since I have the virtual switch installed, always. Is there a reason for this? before I was getting an average of 24/3.5-4
    I have no proof, just what my eyes can see: I have made the same observation. I get almost always full download / upload speeds when using vEthernet adapters for my Internet instead of using the physical NIC. Why I cannot understand this is because the virtual vEthernet switch is as the name says just a virtual switch, all network traffic going through the physical NIC in any case.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    01 Jan 2016 #228
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,039
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Good to know I'm not going crazy then. Thanks for the confirmation and answer Kari.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    01 Jan 2016 #229
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,183
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    First, my apologies. I quite often tell people to read the posts they are replying to more carefully before responding to avoid mistakes, wrong answers, yet I myself am often guilty of not reading the posts carefully. As for instance now:

    I checked Wynona's screenshot too fast and "decided" she is trying to create a duplicate wireless external switch, because the name she had given to the switch had the word WLAN in it (#1 in screenshot below).

    Had I checked the post and the screenshot better, I had noticed that although the switch was named as WLAN switch, it in fact is a LAN/Ethernet switch (#2):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_01_01_17_14_501.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	56492

    So, Wynona: Your existing external virtual switch is tied to your Ethernet (wired) network adapter. If this PC is connected to the network router with Ethernet, you do not need another external switch for the wireless adapter.
    No wonder you "got it wrong" Kari! I copied "WLAN" from your 'AGM External WLAN'.

    As you can see, I'm not a Networking Geek either.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Windows 10 setup suits me but it may not be for everyone
I've been using Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit since it's release &, by in large, I'm pretty pleased with it. During a motherboard change & RAM upgrade to 32G, I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro (to enable all RAM to be used) which I choose in preference to...
Customization
Solved Enable virtualization in bios :/
Used this tool, Download Microsoft® Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool from Official Microsoft Download Center No go VMware said the same thing boo-hoo anyone have instruction to enable in bios ? Spec's are added, Cheers.
Virtualization
Anyone done a dual boot setup of Windows 8 and 10?
Hi I'm getting there, I've downloaded the .ISO file, I've made 2 images of my C:\ drive (using 2 different backup programs) and I've created a 100 GB partition on my second hard drive labeled Windows 10. Now I'm going to create the install...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Windows 10 and Hyper-V
I tried to install the preview as a virtual machine and everything went fine until after a reboot following the download and installation of the updates. Both 8.1 & 10 locked up with a strange crackling noise through the speakers every few seconds....
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums