Page 87 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
  1.    15 Dec 2016 #860
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 64
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    updated apps, defender signatures, maps, used search engine. they use programdata. it seems no problems in virtualbox.

    now, for few weeks, on a production pc to see if all softwares and updates works correctly. if ok, i think i'll go this way for users folder too (time saving)...
    we had another windows update this week, good test. updated correctly, after a couple of days of use no errors at all... other softwares seems ok too. i'm going to relocate this way all my pcs, backup first!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    16 Dec 2016 #861
    Join Date : Dec 2016
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10 Pro

    I have a new HP desktop. It came with Window 10 Home. I upgraded the operating system to Windows 10 Pro, and then began Method 2. Everything seemed to go seamlessly. There were no errors. Somehow, the User folders did not move. I am trying to move them from drive C to drive D. I did use Disk Manager to rename drive D before starting Method 2. I tried a second time, but the user folders still did not move. I am using an ISO download, and then double clicked on it to create what I'll call a virtual drive with the Windows 10 files on it. I was careful to set the four parameters correctly. Each time I run Method 2, the virtual drive disappears. I suspect I am missing something basic, but I have no idea what it is. Thoughts??
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    18 Dec 2016 #862
    Join Date : Dec 2016
    Posts : 1
    Win 10 pro 64

    Kari,
    Im not sure where I went wrong but now I am stuck at the login screen after reboot.
    Windows 10 is asking me for Other user- user name and password?
    There are no other users Im the only one and I confirmed before I rebooted.
    please help Im locked out.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    21 Dec 2016 #863
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows 7

    Hi Kari,

    Quick question. I've bought my daughter an ASUS laptop for Xmas. I want to partition the hard disc between programs and data and move the Users Folder to the data drive. Am I best to use Method 2, because I've heard that fresh installs on laptops can be tricky because of existing backup partitions and BIOS settings, and I don't want to brick it before use! If so, I was just wondering at what stage I could create the extra partition? Will I get that option when I first switch the laptop on and it goes through its first setup installation?

    Merry Christmas, by the way.

    Teabag.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    21 Dec 2016 #864
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,446
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by johnshaia View Post
    Each time I run Method 2, the virtual drive disappears. I suspect I am missing something basic, but I have no idea what it is. Thoughts??
    I am sorry but I do understand what you mean with virtual drive disappearing? Could you please*give a detailed workflow, what are*you doing and in what order?


    Quote Originally Posted by sogibm View Post
    Im not sure where I went wrong but now I am stuck at the login screen after reboot.
    Windows 10 is asking me for Other user- user name and password?
    Method One (clean install) or Method Two (relocating on an existing installation)?


    Quote Originally Posted by Teabag View Post
    I was just wondering at what stage I could create the extra partition?
    If the laptop has only one hard disk, you set it up first normally. When on desktop signed in with the initial user you created, you can then shrink the system partition C: and create a new Data partition. See the tutorials at our sister site Seven Forums, they apply to Windows 10, too:


    Be aware that Method Two, relocating Users folder on an existing installation is a bit more risky than doing it on a clean install. Please follow the instructions to the letter! I also recommend to create a backup system image of the original setup before proceeding (tutorial), just in case something goes unexpected and you must restore the system.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    21 Dec 2016 #865
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    3rd Rock
    Posts : 689
    WinX Pro x64 IP v14986

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I am sorry but I do understand what you mean with virtual drive disappearing? Could you please*give a detailed workflow, what are*you doing and in what order?

    Kari
    He meant the virtual DVD ROM that loads when double clicknig the .ISO

    Quote Originally Posted by johnshaia View Post
    I have a new HP desktop. It came with Window 10 Home. I upgraded the operating system to Windows 10 Pro, and then began Method 2. Everything seemed to go seamlessly. There were no errors. Somehow, the User folders did not move. I am trying to move them from drive C to drive D. I did use Disk Manager to rename drive D before starting Method 2. I tried a second time, but the user folders still did not move. I am using an ISO download, and then double clicked on it to create what I'll call a virtual drive with the Windows 10 files on it. I was careful to set the four parameters correctly. Each time I run Method 2, the virtual drive disappears. I suspect I am missing something basic, but I have no idea what it is. Thoughts??
    Are you double clicking the .ISO after using disk manager to set the second partition to the letter D:?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    22 Dec 2016 #866
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    If the laptop has only one hard disk, you set it up first normally.

    Kari
    Thanks Kari. Excellent service as always.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    22 Dec 2016 #867
    Join Date : Dec 2016
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10 Pro

    johngalt is correct. I mean that I double click the ISO file and it creates a G: drive that did not exist before. That drive contains the install.wim file. After I complete Method 2, the G: drive is gone. Yes, I did the disk manager work first. I set the drive names to the letters before I double clicked on the ISO file. I will provide a detailed workflow in the morning. Thanks Kari and johngalt for the help!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    22 Dec 2016 #868
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    3rd Rock
    Posts : 689
    WinX Pro x64 IP v14986

    Quote Originally Posted by johnshaia View Post
    johngalt is correct. I mean that I double click the ISO file and it creates a G: drive that did not exist before. That drive contains the install.wim file. After I complete Method 2, the G: drive is gone. Yes, I did the disk manager work first. I set the drive names to the letters before I double clicked on the ISO file. I will provide a detailed workflow in the morning. Thanks Kari and johngalt for the help!!
    I beleve that the problem with that is the virtual DVD ROM is depedent upon you being logged into the system, and when you run the sysprep command it is goingo to log the user off, so the virtual drive gets unmounted.

    Grab a spare USB and make it into a Windows install using Rufus or any number of other tools. Then use that as the drive to reference.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    23 Dec 2016 #869
    Join Date : Dec 2016
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10 Pro

    Okay, I tried creating a bootable flash drive. It still did not work. Per Kari's request, here are the steps I took:

    1) I installed an additional hard drive. My computer now contains an SSD and 2 spinning hard drives. I reformatted the two spinning hard droves and changed their names an letters. The spinning hard drive to which I am trying to move the Users folder is D: My DVD drive is F:

    2) I created a bootable flash drive using the ISO in method one of the link you provide. I used Rufus to create the bootable flash drive. I confirmed that install.wim is in the source folder. It is there.

    3) I activate the built in Administrator account

    4) I sign out of my single user account and sign in as Administrator

    5) I make my single user account inactive

    6) Before starting the process, I copied UsersTransfer.xml to the D: drive. Here is the code from the file:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend"><settings pass="oobeSystem"><component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"><FolderLocations><ProfilesDirectory>D:\Users</ProfilesDirectory></FolderLocations></component></settings><cpifflineImage cpi:source="wim:G:\sources\install.wim#Windows 10 Pro" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" /></unattend>

    I am running a 64 bit machine and running Windows 10 Pro. My flash drive is G: I want my user folder on D:

    7) I enter the sysprep command

    8) I enter the sysprep command line to run the xml file and hit enter

    9) All seems to go well. I am set up and enter a new user name (now up to Dummy3). I go through the set up process and use a new user name. I also customize my settings.

    10) I activate my existing user account

    11) I sign out of the Dummy account and sign in as my existing user

    12) I remove the dummy account

    Once I have booted up, the Users folder remains on C: I do not get any errors or any indication that anything did not work correctly, but the Users folder simply does not move.

    Thanks in advance for the help. I appreciate it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 87 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Solved User Folder - Move Location drive replacement
I used the tutorial to move my user folders to a spare, second drive in my laptop. Now I'm thinking about changing it from a spinner to an SSD and I'm wondering what steps I should be considering, before I make that swap, to preserve my user folders...
Installation and Upgrade
My Downloads folder is filling up my C drive...how do I move it?
Folks, I don't want to move my Users folder. (Kari has an excellent tutorial on that. I did it on a previous system and that's not a solution for me.) My C drive is an SSD and my downloads are at 120GB. Sure, I can move things manually, but...
General Support
Stuck in infinite boot loop after attempting to move users folder
Machine: Alienware M17x R5 Laptop OS: Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Pro) What caused the problem: 1. I wanted to change the locations of the users directory from C:\ (SSD partition that contains the OS) to W:\ (HDD) 2. I...
General Support
Best Way To Move Users Folder Back to System Drive With Programs
Hi! I have a computer that is stuck in an "automatic repair" loop. On this machine, the Users folder is on a separate physical hard drive than the system drive. I have concluded that I will have to reset the PC. What is the best way to move...
General Support
Can't move Music folder to another drive
I'm trying to move all of my documents to a new hard drive and I successfully did it with all of them except for the "Music" folder; each time I try to move it to a new location I get this error message: 67258 Is there a way to correct this?
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:07.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums