Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

  1. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #810

    speedyhh said:
    1. Why do we need to have the install.wim file, and not the esd version of it? Why does it have to be relocated? In other words, what is this 10th line for?
    That is a remnant from Windows Vista / 7 era, install.wim is no longer required. You can safely remove the whole CPI Source line from answer file.


    speedyhh said:
    2. I found a tutorial to convert my install.esd into a wim file. Will that do the trick, or will I have to get a regular Windows 10 iso and do it all over again? ( How To Easily Convert Install.esd To Install.wim ).
    See above.


    speedyhh said:
    3. In other words, where does this install.wim exactly "needs" to be, if ever.
    If it is used, if the CPI Source line is present, then the install.wim file needs to be in location where Sysprep can find it, and this location needs to be told in CPI Source line. However, as I mentioned above (and have mentioned several times in this thread), because the install.wim file is no longer required to run Sysprep it's easier to just remove the line from answer file.


    riiidaa said:
    When I try to rerun sysprep today, it brings up this usage box suggesting I've not typed the right /switches ?
    A user error, you have a typing error in command you are trying to use: the switch to tell Sysprep where to find the answer file is /unattend instead of the misspelled /unattended clearly seen in your screenshot.

    Kari
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       #811

    Thanks a lot for replying so fast, and sorry if I missed that information when looking through the thread, seeing that people were still talking about this install.wim in the latest pages made me think it was still of use.
    Best regards !
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 3
    10 pro
       #812

    Bless your eagle eyes Kari, it ran :)

    unfortunately only until; 'A fatal occurred while trying to sysprep the machine', I'll scan the thread for other posts on that one.
      My Computer

  4. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #813

    riiidaa said:
    Bless your eagle eyes Kari, it ran :)

    unfortunately only until; 'A fatal occurred while trying to sysprep the machine', I'll scan the thread for other posts on that one.
    Does the error message have any other text, more details?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 3
    10 pro
       #814

    Kari said:
    Does the error message have any other text, more details?
    no, sadly this is it

    Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10-photo-kari.jpg
      My Computer

  6. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #815

    riiidaa said:
    no, sadly this is it
    My recommendation is to restore a system image backup done before you started this with Sysprep, and then decide if you want to give it another try, or forget it and continue as before.
      My Computer

  7. johngalt's Avatar
    Posts : 2,421
    Windows 10 build 2004
       #816

    I just did a complete format and reinstall of WInX AU , including (for the first time in a long time) a complete format of the second drive where \Users resides as well. Just wanted to drop you a line that, as always, this thing worked perfectly fine without any issues whatsoever.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 70
    Windows 10
       #817

    johngalt said:
    I just did a complete format and reinstall of WInX AU , including (for the first time in a long time) a complete format of the second drive where \Users resides as well. Just wanted to drop you a line that, as always, this thing worked perfectly fine without any issues whatsoever.
    what about start menu little messed up and \users\public folders loosing their long names?!? did you notice this bug?! if not...what iso version did you use?!
      My Computer

  9. johngalt's Avatar
    Posts : 2,421
    Windows 10 build 2004
       #818

    I don't see any issues in the start menu, and my \Users\Public folders has long names - for example, there is a hidden folder there called Public Account Pictures.

    I used the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (aka WinX AU) version 1607 build 14393 .ISO hat I downloaded using the Media Creation Tool from Micro$oft.

    Screenshots:

    Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10-move-users-folder-01.png Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10-move-users-folder-02.png Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10-move-users-folder-03.png
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 70
    Windows 10
       #819

    johngalt said:
    I don't see any issues in the start menu, and my \Users\Public folders has long names - for example, there is a hidden folder there called Public Account Pictures.

    I used the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (aka WinX AU) version 1607 build 14393 .ISO hat I downloaded using the Media Creation Tool from Micro$oft.

    Screenshots:

    Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10-move-users-folder-01.png Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10-move-users-folder-02.png Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10-move-users-folder-03.png
    folders names are buggy, must be two/three words... so should be start menu somewhere... at the moment they don't care to resolve the bug
      My Computer


 

Tutorial Categories

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums