Page 74 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
  1.    30 Jul 2016 #730
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 14
    Win 10 pro

    Hi Kari

    1) I tried to follow your video tutorial on moving the user's folders to my data drive.
    2nd video tutorial (after win10 installation).

    I am watching the video and following along at the same time. Typing exactly what you say to do.
    I am at the point of deactivating the current user accounts in the admin command prompt.

    I am at the admin command prompt, under the system administrator login (not my local admin account).
    When I type in

    "net user (my user name) /active:no"

    I get:
    NET USER
    [username [password l *] [options]] [/DOMAIN]
    username {password l *} /ADD [options] [/DOMAIN]
    username [/DELETE] [/DOMAIN]
    username [/TIMES:{times l ALL}]
    username [ACTIVE: {YES l NO}]

    My user name is a multi-word user name.

    If I type it in without spaces, I get
    user is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

    What am I doing wrong? Your help would be greatly appreciated.


    **edit**

    Forgot the 2nd question
    2) If I have to move the the user folders back to C: before each new version of windows 10.....
    how do I know when windows 10 is a new version if the updates happen automatically?
    Sorry, If I'm an idiot. This is literally my 13th hour of using windows 10 and have been searching/reading trying to solve all the issues I'm having so far, with it.

    like:
    a) which account do I install programs so (local admin and my standard user account) both have automatic access to my games, but prevent unauthorized execution of code in the standard account.
    b) why my power button restarts my computer instead of shutting it down.
    c) why my wallpaper in my standard user account keeps changing, even though I have turned off "slideshow" in the standard and local admin accounts.
    d) Why, this morning, my computer kept connecting to a neighbors wireless network....and got access, even though they had a "secured" network.....by using my laptop wireless card, even though my laptop is off AND my main wireless router IS BLOCKED (by me) from using wireless.
    e) why my privacy settings keep changing by themselves, over and over, after I keep resetting them.
    Been a tough 13 hours, let me tell you.
    Last edited by 7of9; 30 Jul 2016 at 12:25.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    30 Jul 2016 #731
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,940
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by 7of9 View Post
    What am I doing wrong? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    In Windows you always need to use quotes in command line when your path or name contains spaces.

    WRONG:
    Code:
    net user Larry Laffer /active:no

    CORRECT:
    Code:
    net user "Larry Laffer" /active:no
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    30 Jul 2016 #732
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,940
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by 7of9 View Post
    **edit**

    Forgot the 2nd question
    2) If I have to move the the user folders back to C: before each new version of windows 10.....
    how do I know when windows 10 is a new version if the updates happen automatically?
    From tutorial, last part Upgrade:

    Note   Note
    Please notice that with the Build 10586 (TH2 version 1511) and later there has been no issues in upgrading even with relocated Users folder.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    30 Jul 2016 #733
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 14
    Win 10 pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    From tutorial, last part Upgrade:

    Note   Note
    Please notice that with the Build 10586 (TH2 version 1511) and later there has been no issues in upgrading even with relocated Users folder.
    Thanks. for both info.
    much appreciated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    31 Jul 2016 #734
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10 pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Hi GeeZRX, welcome to Ten Forums.

    There's something wrong in your planned course of action, the workflow is not correct. It starts to go wrong after you have created the initial system image before booting to Audit Mode.

    Using your selected tasks and your goal, here's the correct workflow in your case modified to your needs:

    1.) Boot from W10 install media

    2.) When installation is done and you will be shown the Settings dialog (Custom vs. Express), turn PC off, connect the secondary HDD and create an image booting with Macrium rescue media (this step is a wise move which I admit I bypass; it allows you to restore W10 to pristine Out-of-the Box state if any unforeseen things happen later on)

    3.) When image is done, turn PC off again, insert W10 install media but boot from primary SSD / HDD, not from W10 install media (Windows is already installed)

    4.) You will be shown the Settings dialog again. Press CTRL + SHIFT + F3 to restart in Audit Mode

    5.) Get the Answer File from this tut using IE as Edge does not work in Audit Mode

    6.) Edit the answer file as needed replacing drive ID letters to your actual ones

    7.) Save the Answer File

    8.) Sysprep using /shutdown switch instead of /reboot switch using this command line:
    Code:
    %\windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /shutdown /unattended:X:\relocate.xml
    (Change compared to how the command is told in tut in red.)

    9.) Windows syspreps and shuts down.

    10.) Now for extra safety and convenience, create an additional system image with Macrium

    11.) When additional system image has been created you are ready. Boot Windows normally, go through the final setup phase creating a user.

    That's it. The additional system image in step 8 above is optional; if you don't want to / need to make it, use the /reboot switch as told in tutorial instead of /shutdown switch restarting directly to OOBE setup.

    Kari
    Kari...just wanted to reply back to say that in the long run I got your procedure to work fine! I had much trouble with the clean install and had to end up using a Dell W10 Recovery Disk to accomplish it which changed the "look" of the steps somewhat, but in the end all seems well. I am showing the installed version as 10.0.10240 and wonder if this may cause trouble as windows updates itself to current levels, but I'll deal with that as/if troubles arise. Thank you again for the help and a great tutorial!

    Skip
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    31 Jul 2016 #735
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,940
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by GeeZRX View Post
    I am showing the installed version as 10.0.10240 and wonder if this may cause trouble as windows updates itself to current levels, but I'll deal with that as/if troubles arise.
    Oh s**t!

    My apologies for a dramatic start but not even in my wildest dreams could I have thought that you will do this with such an outdated version of Windows 10! I've had my fears that someone would still be using the original release although Windows 10 TH2 version 1511 Build 10586 was released already in November 2015 and is freely downloadable from Microsoft. That's why I have left instructions for those unlucky users (part Upgrade in tutorial). Sadly, you seem to be first who really needs those instructions.

    This note from tutorial:

    Note   Note
    Please notice that with the Build 10586 (TH2 version 1511) and later there has been no issues in upgrading even with relocated Users folder.

    What does the note mean in your case? To start with, yes you will have trouble. Yes, you might be forced to do everything from scratch again as soon as you decide to bring your Windows to current level, up to date.

    To start with, you can do no upgrades without completely moving the Users folder back to C:. Read the last part of tutorial titled Upgrade before proceeding.

    Why on earth did you install an old version?

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    31 Jul 2016 #736
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10 pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Oh s**t!

    My apologies for a dramatic start but not even in my wildest dreams could I have thought that you will do this with such an outdated version of Windows 10! I've had my fears that someone would still be using the original release although Windows 10 TH2 version 1511 Build 10586 was released already in November 2015 and is freely downloadable from Microsoft. That's why I have left instructions for those unlucky users (part Upgrade in tutorial). Sadly, you seem to be first who really needs those instructions.

    This note from tutorial:

    Note   Note
    Please notice that with the Build 10586 (TH2 version 1511) and later there has been no issues in upgrading even with relocated Users folder.

    What does the note mean in your case? To start with, yes you will have trouble. Yes, you might be forced to do everything from scratch again as soon as you decide to bring your Windows to current level, up to date.

    To start with, you can do no upgrades without completely moving the Users folder back to C:. Read the last part of tutorial titled Upgrade before proceeding.

    Why on earth did you install an old version?

    Kari
    Well, I really couldn't accomplish it any other way that I could see. I downloaded the .iso file from the Tech Bench site and made a bootable DVD from it, verified that it would boot in UEFI mode and then did a Parted Magic Secure Erase on my SSD, all with no problem. When I attempted to do the clean install the load would consistently stop at "Getting Ready to install files" 12-13% and while not locked up, the install never went any further or gave any error even after sitting for several hours. As I now had no way to download another .iso from MS I was left with reinstalling W7 and upgrading to 10 (which would leave me with a non-UEFI configuration...and reaching the end date for free upgrade) or try the recovery disk route. I chose that in hopes of moving forward. I now, at least have a means to re-download another .iso from Tech Bench (assuming I can obtain a functional one this time?) and start the process over yet again. I received this PC on June 2nd and have yet to get it functioning as desired and am growing increasingly frustrated but I will struggle on.

    Skip
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    31 Jul 2016 #737
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,940
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by GeeZRX View Post
    I now, at least have a means to re-download another .iso from Tech Bench (assuming I can obtain a functional one this time?) and start the process over yet again. I received this PC on June 2nd and have yet to get it functioning as desired and am growing increasingly frustrated but I will struggle on.

    Skip
    Skip, I wholeheartedly recommend now that you do as I suggest:

    Wait until Tuesday (August 2nd). Microsoft will release Windows 10 Anniversary Update and they have already confirmed that ISO images for Anniversary Update will be available on the same day.

    The Anniversary Update build will most probably be 14393; it's excellent, I am already using it through Windows Insider program. On Tuesday, download the brand new Windows 10 ISO, burn it to DVD or USB and do a clean install, following instructions in Method One in this tutorial.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    31 Jul 2016 #738
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10 pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Skip, I wholeheartedly recommend now that you do as I suggest:

    Wait until Tuesday (August 2nd). Microsoft will release Windows 10 Anniversary Update and they have already confirmed that ISO images for Anniversary Update will be available on the same day.


    The Anniversary Update build will most probably be 14393; it's excellent, I am already using it through Windows Insider program. On Tuesday, download the brand new Windows 10 ISO, burn it to DVD or USB and do a clean install, following instructions in Method One in this tutorial.

    Kari
    Kari, I will wait and do as you suggest. Would you provide a link for the best site to obtain this specific iso? I used W10 previously to burn the iso file to a bootable disk...was this acceptable or do I need to use third party programs to burn bootable DVD's/USB's? I intend to make both this time in hopes that at least one will function correctly. I prefer the bootable DVD as it fits with my existing drive configurations... SSD as system C:\ , optical drive as D:\ and 2tb HDD partitioned as E:\PageSwapfiles - F:\UserProfiles - G:\Xpander... and doesn't confuse what windows expects. Thanks so much for your patience in helping me through this!
    Skip
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    31 Jul 2016 #739
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,940
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    You just have to follow the news about it. I'm sure Ten Forums will be one of the first places to post the links to Microsoft pages for ISO download. I wouldn't be surprised if the regular ISO download page would offer Anniversary Update build ISO as of Tuesday, but whatever site it will be I am sure it will be told in our tutorial: Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

    In the mean time you can read more about Anniversary Update: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Available August 2 - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 74 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Solved User Folder - Move Location drive replacement
I used the tutorial to move my user folders to a spare, second drive in my laptop. Now I'm thinking about changing it from a spinner to an SSD and I'm wondering what steps I should be considering, before I make that swap, to preserve my user folders...
Installation and Upgrade
My Downloads folder is filling up my C drive...how do I move it?
Folks, I don't want to move my Users folder. (Kari has an excellent tutorial on that. I did it on a previous system and that's not a solution for me.) My C drive is an SSD and my downloads are at 120GB. Sure, I can move things manually, but...
General Support
Stuck in infinite boot loop after attempting to move users folder
Machine: Alienware M17x R5 Laptop OS: Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Pro) What caused the problem: 1. I wanted to change the locations of the users directory from C:\ (SSD partition that contains the OS) to W:\ (HDD) 2. I...
General Support
Best Way To Move Users Folder Back to System Drive With Programs
Hi! I have a computer that is stuck in an "automatic repair" loop. On this machine, the Users folder is on a separate physical hard drive than the system drive. I have concluded that I will have to reset the PC. What is the best way to move...
General Support
Can't move Music folder to another drive
I'm trying to move all of my documents to a new hard drive and I successfully did it with all of them except for the "Music" folder; each time I try to move it to a new location I get this error message: 67258 Is there a way to correct this?
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums