Windows 10: Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

Page 64 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
  1.    16 Jun 2016 #630

    Kari said: View Post
    The highlighted part in above quote: is this a dual boot system, or a virgin / empty HDD with fresh clean installed Windows 10 as only installed OS?

    Anyway, I'll check the logs. I have to tell you I've never seen this stubborn sysprep!
    No, just a fresh clean install. In fact I've always started from scratch when trying sysprepping again (by installing W10 all over again). I hope the life expectancy of my new SSD isn't compromised too much becausd of this. And Windows 7 was what I used prior to getting the new SSD and I was referring to that with my post.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 10,986
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       16 Jun 2016 #631

    Patti12 said: View Post
    No, just a fresh clean install. In fact I've always started from scratch when trying sysprepping again (by installing W10 all over again). I hope the life expectancy of my new SSD isn't compromised too much becausd of this. And Windows 7 was what I used prior to getting the new SSD and I was referring to that with my post.
    Patti12 said: View Post


    Today's SSD devices are pretty good, you'd need to do this for a couple of years to cause any damage or shorten its life span.

    Anyway, your specs only tell you have Windows 10 but not what edition. In case you have Pro edition, here's something for you to consider. This does not work with Home edition, Hyper-V is only included in Pro, Education and Enterprise.

    Sysprep tool and Windows image customization in Windows 8 and later work best in Hyper-V. In fact the recommend approach to create a Windows image for deployment is to use a Hyper-V virtual machine as so called technician machine, customize Windows, sysprep and shut down, capture the image and then deploy it to physical computers.

    This is of course just a personal and very subjective opinion but in your case I would clean install Windows 10 Pro one more time, enable virtualization in BIOS / UEFI settings, set up Hyper-V and create the install image on a virtual machine.

    This tutorial shows how to setup Hyper-V virtualization: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    And here's a complete image customization walkthrough using Hyper-V vm, in your case you could skip everything else except making a simple short answer file to relocate the Users folder: Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Windows 10 Forums

    I am afraid I cannot find any clear reasons for sysprep failing even in your latest logs.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    16 Jun 2016 #632

    Kari said: View Post

    Today's SSD devices are pretty good, you'd need to do this for a couple of years to cause any damage or shorten its life span.

    Anyway, your specs only tell you have Windows 10 but not what edition. In case you have Pro edition, here's something for you to consider. This does not work with Home edition, Hyper-V is only included in Pro, Education and Enterprise.

    Sysprep tool and Windows image customization in Windows 8 and later work best in Hyper-V. In fact the recommend approach to create a Windows image for deployment is to use a Hyper-V virtual machine as so called technician machine, customize Windows, sysprep and shut down, capture the image and then deploy it to physical computers.

    This is of course just a personal and very subjective opinion but in your case I would clean install Windows 10 Pro one more time, enable virtualization in BIOS / UEFI settings, set up Hyper-V and create the install image on a virtual machine.

    This tutorial shows how to setup Hyper-V virtualization: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    And here's a complete image customization walkthrough using Hyper-V vm, in your case you could skip everything else except making a simple short answer file to relocate the Users folder: Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Windows 10 Forums

    I am afraid I cannot find any clear reasons for sysprep failing even in your latest logs.

    Kari
    My edition of Windows 10 is Home version, so this method is unfortunately out of question. I guess we'll just have to leave it here. Thanks for all your fast and clear responses!

    - Matti
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 10,986
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       16 Jun 2016 #633

    I am very sorry, I simple do not find anything in log files that would explain this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Jun 2016 #634

    Kari said: View Post
    I am very sorry, I simple do not find anything in log files that would explain this.
    Yeah, no problem, you've done all you can do best you can do so it's definitely not your fault W10 isn't working the way I want it to.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 10,986
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       16 Jun 2016 #635

    Patti12 said: View Post
    Yeah, no problem, you've done all you can do best you can do so it's definitely not your fault W10 isn't working the way I want it to.
    This tutorial has just over 400K views and if you have patience to read the whole thread through, you'll notice that apart those errors and issues caused by user which we have resolved, there are only two or three cases before you that we have not got it working at all.

    Again, I am sorry. Take care Matti, see you around here at Ten Forums

    Terkkuja Suomeen, tekis niin mieli kylmää Karhun kolmosta!

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    17 Jun 2016 #636

    It's strange but after I move Users folder to drive D: with Method Two recycle bin is lost from Desktop and I can't delete any file (even small) using recycle bin. When I try to delete file I receive something like this:
    Name:  screenshot.png
Views: 297
Size:  8.9 KB
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    17 Jun 2016 #637

    Continuous boot loop


    Hi Kari,

    New to Tenforums and first time round moving user accounts as per the Tutorial method.

    Did so successfully for a couple of 32bit machines and in my haste created the unattended answer file as "x64" and not "amd64" for the remaining x64bit machines.

    Sysprep commenced and the machines has been in a continuous boot loop for 4days.
    One had a substantial amount of user docs and the other I removed most of the user docs.

    Is the wrong processor indicated in the unattended answer files the culprit, and in that instance, how do I remedy the situation?
    Or is the data in the user account folders the issue and I should just let it run its course?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 10,986
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       17 Jun 2016 #638

    erop said: View Post
    It's strange but after I move Users folder to drive D: with Method Two recycle bin is lost from Desktop and I can't delete any file (even small) using recycle bin.
    It really is strange, difficult to believe it has nothing to do with relocated Users folder, Recycle Bin for each drive is stored on the root of the drive, not in user profile folders.

    Anyway, try this command in an elevated (administrator) Command Prompt to reset Recycle Bin:
    Code:
    rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

    This command deletes the non-functioning Recycle Bin. Repeat for each drive replacing the drive letter C: in above command example with each drive letter. When done restart the PC, Windows will now recreate Recycle Bin on each drive.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 10,986
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       17 Jun 2016 #639

    Wils012 said: View Post
    Did so successfully for a couple of 32bit machines and in my haste created the unattended answer file as "x64" and not "amd64" for the remaining x64bit machines.

    Sysprep commenced and the machines has been in a continuous boot loop for 4days.
    Yes, the wrong processor architecture indicator is most probably the cause for your issue. For sysprep it means nothing, Windows tries to enter the OOBE (setup) phase but can't understand instructions in answer file.

    Your best shot is to restore a system image, alternatively you could try first if a repair install can fix your issue and let you boot to desktop, then try this method again.

    See this tutorial for repair install: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 64 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I used the tutorial to move my user folders to a spare, second drive in my laptop. Now I'm thinking about changing it from a spinner to an SSD and I'm wondering what steps I should be considering, before I make that swap, to preserve my user folders...
Folks, I don't want to move my Users folder. (Kari has an excellent tutorial on that. I did it on a previous system and that's not a solution for me.) My C drive is an SSD and my downloads are at 120GB. Sure, I can move things manually, but...
Machine: Alienware M17x R5 Laptop OS: Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Pro) What caused the problem: 1. I wanted to change the locations of the users directory from C:\ (SSD partition that contains the OS) to W:\ (HDD) 2. I...
Hi! I have a computer that is stuck in an "automatic repair" loop. On this machine, the Users folder is on a separate physical hard drive than the system drive. I have concluded that I will have to reset the PC. What is the best way to move...
I'm trying to move all of my documents to a new hard drive and I successfully did it with all of them except for the "Music" folder; each time I try to move it to a new location I get this error message: 67258 Is there a way to correct this?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04.
Find Us