Windows 10: Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

Page 21 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
  1.    16 Aug 2015 #200

    Hi Kari,

    Moving the user folder worked great for me, now all my user files are located on my 2nd storage (hard drive). My question is would this affect my search? Not sure why, but searching 'windows update' or anything in the settings menu does not bring these items in the search. I was wondering if moving the users folder would affect my search results.

    Only reason I am thinking the change is causing the problem is because I did a clean install on both my PC and laptop, but laptop (unaltered) search lets me find the items in the Settings.

    EDIT: Okay, so really weird. I've tried rebuilding the index multiple times before but that didn't fix anything. Just tried again and now settings is showing up in search? I am completely baffled as to what caused the problem and now fixed the problem...

    Thanks for this tutorial though, btw.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 12,396
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       16 Aug 2015 #201

    zerogravity said: View Post
    Thanks for this tutorial though, btw.
    You are welcome. Indexing might take some time, the sysprep method used is not causing any indexing issues.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    16 Aug 2015 #202

    I just have a dumb question, why do people want to move the User Folder? Thanks in advance. ☺
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 2
    Windows 7 Home Premium
       16 Aug 2015 #203

    almondman said: View Post
    I just have a dumb question, why do people want to move the User Folder? Thanks in advance. ☺
    Hi Almondman,

    Comment number 86 sums it up for you:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...tml#post311607

    Simon
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Aug 2015 #204

    Moving users worked - but could it be causing a stupid Todo EASUS err


    Hi, I waited 90 minutes and the reboot after SYSPRP to move users finally finished. Seems to have worked great. Thanks.

    However, I'm now having a problem with Todo EASUS backup. I try to do System Backup, it calculates I will need 111GB, I have 250GB free on my destination drive, ir runs for 10 minutes and then gives me a message that there isn't enough room in the destination drive.

    So, why am I posting this on this thread? I googled and found older Todo posts that the backup engine was following junction links to user files on a non system drive when it did the backup, but NOT when it did the calculation of space needed for the backup.

    Could there be a similar problem with the user files I moved to D: (well U: in my case)? Could Todo when it does the system backup of C: include the user files on U:?

    Anyway, just wanted to know if this is a possible explanation for my problem. I"m off to the Todo boards next.
    Last edited by mraiffa; 16 Aug 2015 at 09:07. Reason: posted by mistake
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 12,396
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       16 Aug 2015 #205

    almondman said: View Post
    I just have a dumb question, why do people want to move the User Folder? Thanks in advance. ☺
    The most obvious reason is to to save space on C: drive. Today a lot of users have a bit smaller SSD as the system drive, 64 to 256 GB, and then a bigger HDD for data; using this method helps to keep the the user data away from the system drive C:.

    When done, this method gives you "peace of mind"; all user data is always automatically stored on another drive instead of the C: drive, for each existing user account as well as for any user account created in the future.

    Another benefit is to spearate Windows system and user data. If the system drive fails, the user data is still intact on another drive.

    mraiffa said: View Post
    Anyway, just wanted to know if this is a possible explanation for my problem. I"m off to the Todo boards next.
    I do not know the backup software you are using and cannot answer any questions about that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    16 Aug 2015 #206

    mraiffa said: View Post
    Hi, I waited 90 minutes and the reboot after SYSPRP to move users finally finished. Seems to have worked great. Thanks.

    However, I'm now having a problem with Todo EASUS backup. I try to do System Backup, it calculates I will need 111GB, I have 250GB free on my destination drive, ir runs for 10 minutes and then gives me a message that there isn't enough room in the destination drive.

    So, why am I posting this on this thread? I googled and found older Todo posts that the backup engine was following junction links to user files on a non system drive when it did the backup, but NOT when it did the calculation of space needed for the backup.

    Could there be a similar problem with the user files I moved to D: (well U: in my case)? Could Todo when it does the system backup of C: include the user files on U:?

    Anyway, just wanted to know if this is a possible explanation for my problem. I"m off to the Todo boards next.
    Two things, the Todo board confirmed there has been an issue for people using Junctions where the backup thinks the profile files are part of the System.

    However, I switched the target for my backup to an external drive with 1TB free. The backup ran fine, and when I looked the backup file was only 36GB. So, it looks like the backup size precalculation used the size of the System (C) drive - 111GB, when backup started running it MAY have also included the User Profile files on my second drive, but when the actual backup was done it only seems to have included the files on C:. So, altogehter confusing but not fatal - although I'll have to do a restore to see if things really did work out
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 3
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
       17 Aug 2015 #207

    Hi All,

    Many thanks for the excellent guide Kari.

    I've clean installed Windows 10 onto an SSD and all my user folders - Docs/Music/Photos/Videos are stored on a different HDD. I've done this since Windows 7 and redirected it's libraries (Include a Folder method) to save any hassle when a crash occurs.

    I'm not a PC guru and find the guide a little daunting, so before I broke anything, I did some Googling to hopefully find an easier way that I'm more comfortable with. I found one here at Toms Hardware - (Hope it's ok to repost a link)

    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id...s-windows.html

    This worked for me. It doesn't involve changes during install, but redirecting the user folders when the install is complete and is easy to do.

    As I say, being pretty much a novice at these things, is the end result the same whichever method is used? I assume I'm missing something?

    Kind regards

    Dumfy
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 12,396
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       22 Aug 2015 #208

    dumfy said: View Post
    This worked for me. It doesn't involve changes during install, but redirecting the user folders when the install is complete and is easy to do.

    As I say, being pretty much a novice at these things, is the end result the same whichever method is used? I assume I'm missing something?

    Kind regards

    Dumfy
    The method you told about is totally different than the Sysprep method in this tutorial, only moving certain folders one by one. These two methods cannot be compared. The Sysprep method moves all user profiles, completely, all folders in all user profiles and does it also automatically for each user account created in the future. One command, everything moved, for all existing and future user accounts.

    We will have our traditional Ten Forums Saturday Live Chat today, I will demonstrate this Sysprep method live in about an hour and ten minutes time. Read more: Welcome to the Ten Forums Saturday Live Chat! - Windows 10 Forums

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2
    Windows 7 Home Premium
       23 Aug 2015 #209

    Hi Kari,

    Many thanks for this guide. It worked like a charm for my two computers.

    Simon
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 21 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I used the tutorial to move my user folders to a spare, second drive in my laptop. Now I'm thinking about changing it from a spinner to an SSD and I'm wondering what steps I should be considering, before I make that swap, to preserve my user folders...
Folks, I don't want to move my Users folder. (Kari has an excellent tutorial on that. I did it on a previous system and that's not a solution for me.) My C drive is an SSD and my downloads are at 120GB. Sure, I can move things manually, but...
Machine: Alienware M17x R5 Laptop OS: Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Pro) What caused the problem: 1. I wanted to change the locations of the users directory from C:\ (SSD partition that contains the OS) to W:\ (HDD) 2. I...
Hi! I have a computer that is stuck in an "automatic repair" loop. On this machine, the Users folder is on a separate physical hard drive than the system drive. I have concluded that I will have to reset the PC. What is the best way to move...
I'm trying to move all of my documents to a new hard drive and I successfully did it with all of them except for the "Music" folder; each time I try to move it to a new location I get this error message: 67258 Is there a way to correct this?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:58.
Find Us