Windows 10: Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

Page 17 of 110 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
  1.    09 Aug 2015 #160

    Sysprep will not run on an upgraded OS


    After upgrading to Windows 10, I followed method 2 without success: sysprep will not run on a upgraded OS...
    I attach setupact.log.
    Last edited by BenoitSvB; 09 Aug 2015 at 22:08. Reason: attach log
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 12,123
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       10 Aug 2015 #161

    BenoitSvB said: View Post
    After upgrading to Windows 10, I followed method 2 without success: sysprep will not run on a upgraded OS...
    I attach setupact.log.
    Hi Benoit, welcome to the Ten Forums.

    See the tutorial, last section called Upgrade, you have already upgraded so you only need Step 2 in it. It shows you a registry key and a DWORD to delete, and the two DWORDs which need a value to be changed.

    When done, you can sysprep an upgraded Windows.

    Kari
    Last edited by Kari; 10 Aug 2015 at 05:46. Reason: Short post, many typos :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    10 Aug 2015 #162

    Kari said: View Post
    Hi Benoit, welcome to the Ten Forums.

    See the tutorial, last section called Upgrade, you have already upgraded so you only need Step 2 in it. It shows you a registry key and a DWORD to delete, and the two DWORDs which need a value to be changed.

    When done, you can sysprep an upgraded Windows.

    Kari
    Thank you Kari for your reply, after which I succeeded to relocate most (!) of the Users folder. It seems this introduced serious troubles though:
    1. l completely lost the Menu functionality: nothing happens when I click the menu (right clicking still works)
    2. The impression is that system works remarkably slower (maybe because the Users folder is moved off from SSD to HDD and is used much more frequently than suspected?)
    3. Every search from the taskbar starts with an initial "Preparing Search function..." for about 30 seconds...
    4. more problems...

    Any idea what did go wrong? And, more urgent: any tips to regain the Menu functionality?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 12,123
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       10 Aug 2015 #163

    BenoitSvB said: View Post
    Any idea what did go wrong? And, more urgent: any tips to regain the Menu functionality?
    Are you using a local account, Microsoft account, connected to a domain or using an Azure AD account?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    10 Aug 2015 #164

    Kari said: View Post
    Are you using a local account, Microsoft account, connected to a domain or using an Azure AD account?
    microsoft account ( added to my local account)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 12,123
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       10 Aug 2015 #165

    Before trying anything else, try to create a new user account, local or MS. When the Start is not working you can open the Settings app with WIN key + I (letter i, not L) to be able to create a new user.

    When done, sign in to this new user account and check if the Start and Search are working normally.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    10 Aug 2015 #166

    Kari said: View Post
    Before trying anything else, try to create a new user account, local or MS. When the Start is not working you can open the Settings app with WIN key + I (letter i, not L) to be able to create a new user.

    When done, sign in to this new user account and check if the Start and Search are working normally.
    mmm, WIN+i gives no reaction; I can reach Run... but do not know how to run Settings (or Edge)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 12,123
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       10 Aug 2015 #167

    Strange, the Settings app should open with Win + I even when the Start is not working. Another way to open it is to right click on desktop and select Display settings. This should open the settings app, you can then browse to Accounts to create the new user.

    If even that does not work for you, go to Control Panel (right click Start, select Control Panel) and try this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-08-10_15h19_41.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	30219
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    10 Aug 2015 #168

    Kari said: View Post
    Strange, the Settings app should open with Win + I even when the Start is not working. Another way to open it is to right click on desktop and select Display settings. This should open the settings app, you can then browse to Accounts to create the new user.

    If even that does not work for you, go to Control Panel (right click Start, select Control Panel) and try this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-08-10_15h19_41.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	30219
    Right clicking the desktop and selecting Display settings opened the settings app (after ages...actually about 45 seconds)
    The new user HAS MENU
    Search and WIN+i work fast with new user
    so far so good.

    and now? migrate myuser to newuser? or more elegantly give menu and speed back to muser?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 12,123
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       10 Aug 2015 #169

    BenoitSvB said: View Post
    and now? migrate myuser to newuser?
    Yes. It's a bit pain in the ass but it's your best shot.

    To avoid any permissions issues, sign in to old user and copy the old user data first to an external drive. Do not copy the hidden system folder AppData! You can copy individual app folders from AppData\Local and AppData\Roaming if you really need to migrate some third party app settings like Google folders or Opera and something like that but it would be better if you just let the folders be created in New User\AppData from scratch.

    When done, sign out. Sign in to new user, copy the data from external backup to new user in appropriate folders. Be sure your new account is an admin account!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 17 of 110 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I used the tutorial to move my user folders to a spare, second drive in my laptop. Now I'm thinking about changing it from a spinner to an SSD and I'm wondering what steps I should be considering, before I make that swap, to preserve my user folders...
Folks, I don't want to move my Users folder. (Kari has an excellent tutorial on that. I did it on a previous system and that's not a solution for me.) My C drive is an SSD and my downloads are at 120GB. Sure, I can move things manually, but...
Machine: Alienware M17x R5 Laptop OS: Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Pro) What caused the problem: 1. I wanted to change the locations of the users directory from C:\ (SSD partition that contains the OS) to W:\ (HDD) 2. I...
Hi! I have a computer that is stuck in an "automatic repair" loop. On this machine, the Users folder is on a separate physical hard drive than the system drive. I have concluded that I will have to reset the PC. What is the best way to move...
I'm trying to move all of my documents to a new hard drive and I successfully did it with all of them except for the "Music" folder; each time I try to move it to a new location I get this error message: 67258 Is there a way to correct this?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:08.
Find Us