Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

  1. tops's Avatar
    Posts : 20
    Windows 10 @ 64 bits
       #1130

    tops said:
    I have the screen with "FATAL ERROR" when I try to run sysprep...

    My answer file is OK (unattend.xml) and I get the error...

    I try to reinstall my Windows 10, in clean mode, version 1709, in pt-br, but I receiver many errors of sysprep....
    Now I have re-created all the steps of the second procedure, but I did not disable the user account that I had created in the installation and after many attempts, sweat, nervous, etc - gave it right.Soon I will restart and install my applications again ...Thanks Kari and friends
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 35
    10 Pro
       #1131

    I probably won't get an answer in time, but I doing a clean install of Win 10 Pro today, after installing a new motherboard. Somewhere I had ask a similar question, but was unable to find it with search.
    I've been using this post to relocate my User folder since Win 7. Right now my user folder resides at G:\Users\Gunner. The problem comes when I do clean installs now I like to login to my Microsoft account, as it sets up a lot stuff, and brings my settings forward. But if I use my Ms account the problem comes where Windows will make a use folder based off first part of my login user ID... "hc1_g". Is there any way to install windows login with my Ms account, but name User account "Gunner"?
    Basically I like to be able to install windows, login with Ms ID, and use my current relocate.xml that resides on root of my G: drive that sole purpose is for relocation of my User folder.
      My Computer

  3. johngalt's Avatar
    Posts : 2,128
    Windows 10 Pro X64 Insider Preview (Skip Ahead) latest build
       #1132

    HC1Gunner said:
    I probably won't get an answer in time, but I doing a clean install of Win 10 Pro today, after installing a new motherboard. Somewhere I had ask a similar question, but was unable to find it with search.
    I've been using this post to relocate my User folder since Win 7. Right now my user folder resides at G:\Users\Gunner. The problem comes when I do clean installs now I like to login to my Microsoft account, as it sets up a lot stuff, and brings my settings forward. But if I use my Ms account the problem comes where Windows will make a use folder based off first part of my login user ID... "hc1_g". Is there any way to install windows login with my Ms account, but name User account "Gunner"?
    Basically I like to be able to install windows, login with Ms ID, and use my current relocate.xml that resides on root of my G: drive that sole purpose is for relocation of my User folder.
    Take a look at this tutorial: Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 29
    Windows 10
       #1133

    I've been doing this trick for years now, and the same thing happens to me every time. It is incredibly predictable. I move the folder correctly, and everything works fine. And then one day an update installs, and none of the streaming apps will work. I have never heard of a fix for this, but it is so predictable that I would think that there must be a fix, or at least an explanation for why this happens. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to prevent this from happening or at least reverse it?
      My Computer

  5. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,113
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #1134

    SSShadii said:
    I've been doing this trick for years now, and the same thing happens to me every time. It is incredibly predictable. I move the folder correctly, and everything works fine. And then one day an update installs, and none of the streaming apps will work. I have never heard of a fix for this, but it is so predictable that I would think that there must be a fix, or at least an explanation for why this happens. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to prevent this from happening or at least reverse it?
    Excluding some test installs on virtual machines and single-purpose secondary Windows installations on dual / multiboot, I have relocated the Users folder on all my machines, every installation since pre-release versions of Windows Vista back in 2006. I have never had any issues with a single application.

    Please could you give some examples, apps that are failing?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 35
    10 Pro
       #1135

    Things did not go as planned, during disassembly I ran into bad part on my cooling block, so project was halted. Parts arriving today, I'm going to install my new mobo, and do fresh install of Win 10. Its been awhile since I have installed without signing into my Ms account. But if I don't sign in, wouldn't I be able to create my Admin User name the same as my old install, and the relocation xml file on the root of my G: drive, it would see or relocate to the same User from my old install of Win 10?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 35
    10 Pro
       #1136

    Fresh install of everything, C: wiped, G: drive wiped, started from scratch, things did not go as planned at first. Once I got to the correct steps, User sitting pretty on my G: drive. Thanks Kari for keep this post updated.
    Last edited by HC1Gunner; 11 Jan 2018 at 06:10.
      My Computer



  8. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #1137

    Hi all,

    Is anyone could do Fall Creators Update after with this trick.

    Asking because I did this handy trick and my Windows 10 working seamlessly but I couldn't update the latest update and think maybe the issue is that.

    I'm getting this error; "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0xC0000005: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709."

    Thank you
      My Computer

  9. tops's Avatar
    Posts : 20
    Windows 10 @ 64 bits
       #1138

    akincansenol said:
    Hi all,

    Is anyone could do Fall Creators Update after with this trick.

    Asking because I did this handy trick and my Windows 10 working seamlessly but I couldn't update the latest update and think maybe the issue is that.

    I'm getting this error; "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0xC0000005: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709."

    Thank you
    Hello akincansenol;I usually do the full installation of Windows 10 with test user, after Windows is installed, I do the relocate process and it works without major problems, both relocate and sysprep ...After Windows restarts (sysprep), I create my user normally and then delete the test account, created in the previous installation procedure.Take a test there ... here I got it that way, because during the installation, it always failed for some reason.Hugs and good luck!
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #1139

    tops said:
    Hello akincansenol;I usually do the full installation of Windows 10 with test user, after Windows is installed, I do the relocate process and it works without major problems, both relocate and sysprep ...After Windows restarts (sysprep), I create my user normally and then delete the test account, created in the previous installation procedure.Take a test there ... here I got it that way, because during the installation, it always failed for some reason.Hugs and good luck!
    So, seems like you suggest clean install? I'm looking for just update actually. I've already done relocate but I've problems with Fall Creators Update.
      My Computer


 

Tutorial Categories

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:16.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums