Windows 10: Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

  1. johngalt's Avatar
    Posts : 1,534
    WinX Pro x64 IP current
       11 Dec 2017 #1120

    Yeah, although the page is different, that is still where you perform that step.

    I usually let Cortana finish her diatribe while muting the speakers, and then when it is all done, I continue with the tutorial. If you let it complete and wait it out, it usually ends up with the Set home region (country) page, which is where you can continue with the tutorial.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    27 Dec 2017 #1121

    Hi,

    Thanks for the clear tutorial, but I'm running into the problem that when I want to run sysprep I get a popup message explaining the usage of the tool and when I use no commandline parameters, I can start the tool using the dialog, but there's no way to specifify an answer file.

    Any thoughts about this and how to get around it?

    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. johngalt's Avatar
    Posts : 1,534
    WinX Pro x64 IP current
       27 Dec 2017 #1122

    Mind taking a screenshot of the command you're entering and then the response?

    Also, is this an OEM machine, or one you built / formatted and installed yourself?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 14,825
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       27 Dec 2017 #1123

    Three Axis said: View Post
    Thanks for the clear tutorial, but I'm running into the problem that when I want to run sysprep I get a popup message explaining the usage of the tool and when I use no commandline parameters.
    If the sysprep command is not given correctly, if it contains typos, this will be shown:
    Name:  image.png
Views: 314
Size:  76.8 KB

    As John already asked you, please post the command you are using. We can then tell you what's wrong with it.


    Three Axis said: View Post
    I can start the tool using the dialog, but there's no way to specifify an answer file.
    If answer file is saved as unattend.xml in C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep folder, sysprep will read it automatically. The name of the file and location must be exactly as I told.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    28 Dec 2017 #1124

    I used the solution in putting the file in the Sysprep directory naming it unattend.xml. That worked like a charm. But I couldn't have the compute beat me on this, so I investigated further and found that instead of /unattend I used /unattended so I guess it was my own mind playing tricks on me.
    Thanks for the quick responses though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 14,825
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       28 Dec 2017 #1125

    Three Axis said: View Post
    I used the solution in putting the file in the Sysprep directory naming it unattend.xml. That worked like a charm. But I couldn't have the compute beat me on this, so I investigated further and found that instead of /unattend I used /unattended so I guess it was my own mind playing tricks on me.
    Thanks for the quick responses though.
    Yes, that was a typical RTFM error. Two letters, an E and and an D not belonging to command caused your issue.

    Let's recap:
    • If you rename your answer file as unattend.xml and place it in C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep folder, it will be read automatically. In that case you can launch Sysprep from it's GUI, or with command
      %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /reboot without telling Sysprep command where to find the answer file.
    • If your answer file has any other name than unattend.xml, or if it is stored anywhere else than in C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep folder, you need to to use /unattend switch in Sysprep command to tell path to answer file:
      %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /reboot /unattend:X:\MyAnswerFile.xml


    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. johngalt's Avatar
    Posts : 1,534
    WinX Pro x64 IP current
       28 Dec 2017 #1126

    Three Axis said: View Post
    I used the solution in putting the file in the Sysprep directory naming it unattend.xml. That worked like a charm. But I couldn't have the compute beat me on this, so I investigated further and found that instead of /unattend I used /unattended so I guess it was my own mind playing tricks on me.
    Thanks for the quick responses though.
    I made the exact same error, back in my Windows 7 days, IIRC, which was why I asked for the screenshot
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 14,825
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       28 Dec 2017 #1127

    It can be confusing. We are talking about unattended answer file, but the switch in Sysprep command is /unattend, without the E and D at end of the word.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. johngalt's Avatar
    Posts : 1,534
    WinX Pro x64 IP current
       28 Dec 2017 #1128

    Kari said: View Post
    It can be confusing. We are talking about unattended answer file, but the switch in Sysprep command is /unattend, without the E and D at end of the word.
    Indeed. Which is why I made a CMD script to go along with my relocate.xml after the Jay time I did that.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10. tops's Avatar
    Posts : 18
    Windows 10 @ 64 bits
       04 Jan 2018 #1129

    I have the screen with "FATAL ERROR" when I try to run sysprep...

    My answer file is OK (unattend.xml) and I get the error...

    I try to reinstall my Windows 10, in clean mode, version 1709, in pt-br, but I receiver many errors of sysprep....
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Tutorial Categories

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Xbox Windows Phone


Related Threads
Folks, I don't want to move my Users folder. (Kari has an excellent tutorial on that. I did it on a previous system and that's not a solution for me.) My C drive is an SSD and my downloads are at 120GB. Sure, I can move things manually, but...
I'm trying to move all of my documents to a new hard drive and I successfully did it with all of them except for the "Music" folder; each time I try to move it to a new location I get this error message: 67258 Is there a way to correct this?
I used the tutorial to move my user folders to a spare, second drive in my laptop. Now I'm thinking about changing it from a spinner to an SSD and I'm wondering what steps I should be considering, before I make that swap, to preserve my user folders...
Machine: Alienware M17x R5 Laptop OS: Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Pro) What caused the problem: 1. I wanted to change the locations of the users directory from C:\ (SSD partition that contains the OS) to W:\ (HDD) 2. I...
Hi! I have a computer that is stuck in an "automatic repair" loop. On this machine, the Users folder is on a separate physical hard drive than the system drive. I have concluded that I will have to reset the PC. What is the best way to move...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50.
Find Us